West Texas
Sponsored by

Firewood

2,413 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Col. Steve Austin
sawemoffshort85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy!

I live in Lubbock and have finally gotten fed up with paying exorbitant prices for firewood. What's the going rate in the Big Country? I'd be willing to pull a trailer down and purchase cord or two if it's worth my time. I would prefer oak if it's available.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Out of curiosity, what is the going rate for firewood up there in the land of West Texas dirt monkeys?

I am in SE Montgomery County, NE of Houston. I am seeing average of around $150 per 1/2 cord in the area. Last weekend I picked up 1/2 cord of "seasoned" red oak for $80 from a guy out in the sticks in the Shepherd area. When I saw how heavy some of the split wood was, I asked him just how long the wood had been seasoned. "Oh, about two weeks" he mumbled. Oh really, I wouldn't advertise it as "seasoned" then. "But it burns real good" he says. It was about 40 min drive from the house so I went ahead and took the wood even though I didn't have high expectations for the results. I have confirmed that this freshly split wood doesn't burn worth a crap even when I re-split into smaller pieces down to kindling size. Has to have some other wood to help it along.

I am going to trade some of my really nice looking but poor burning red oak to a family member for some well seasoned wood that I split for them over a year ago.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
sawemoffshort85
Oak or pecan is $400 per cord, delivered and stacked, plus tax. Half cord is $230
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Wow, that is expensive! I guess I shouldn't complain. Since my previous post I found some red oak seasoned in a barn since last spring for $100 per 1/2 cord (picked up by purchaser).

I also acquired over a cord of wood over the weekend from a neighbor. He had a huge red oak blow over and was in the process of cutting and splitting. I took a bunch of it off his hands and in exchange helped him cut up the tree trunk as he didn't have a saw big enough for that. Also took some old wood he had that he doesn't use anymore since he has no fireplace and doesn't use his stick burner smoker any longer.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
TxAg20
AG
Is a 1/2 cord volumetrically 1/2 of a full cord?

I'm in Midland and needed a 1/2 cord of seasoned oak a few months ago. I only use it for my smoker, so no need for a full cord. I called a few folks on craigslist. I made a deal with a guy out of Abilene for $225 for a 1/2 cord delivered. When he pulled up in a 5.5' bed F150 with a bed cover I realized I was screwed. He claimed a 1/2 cord is 2x4x4 and a cord is 4x4x8. I agree with his full cord, but his 1/2 cord is 1/4th the size of his full cord. I needed the wood so I helped him unload it and paid him to go away. I had to resplit a lot of it for my smoker, but at least it burns good.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
TxAg20 said:

Is a 1/2 cord volumetrically 1/2 of a full cord?

I'm in Midland and needed a 1/2 cord of seasoned oak a few months ago. I only use it for my smoker, so no need for a full cord. I called a few folks on craigslist. I made a deal with a guy out of Abilene for $225 for a 1/2 cord delivered. When he pulled up in a 5.5' bed F150 with a bed cover I realized I was screwed. He claimed a 1/2 cord is 2x4x4 and a cord is 4x4x8. I agree with his full cord, but his 1/2 cord is 1/4th the size of his full cord. I needed the wood so I helped him unload it and paid him to go away. I had to resplit a lot of it for my smoker, but at least it burns good.
It's supposed to be, either 4x4x4 or 2x4x8. You definitely got screwed on that load.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.