West Texas
Sponsored by

Potential Move to El Paso

3,973 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieBarstool
rajag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am potentially looking at taking a new position for work in El Paso. Can anyone on here give me a some insight to the El Paso area.

1. How is it living there...climate, lifestyle, cost of living ?
2. Is it safe?
3. How are the public schools, which are the best? (I have a 6 & 8 year old?
4. What part of town/neighborhoods are best and what neighborhoods to stay away from?
5. Any of the suggested neighborhoods better for those with kids?
6. Entertainment in the area for families/things to do?
7. Better home builders, who to stay away from?

Hope someone can help me with some helpful information.
elchucoag93
AG
Born n raised.
Still very small town, especially the politics unfortunately. Don't let proximity to Mexico scare you, it is a safe city. Best schools are on west side (mesita elementary is very good, near utep). Neighborhoods around mesita are nice if a bit older. Further west there are some very nice neighborhoods (I live in The Willows, love it, nice neighborhood for kids). Family entertainment, - great hiking in the franklin mountains, new children's museum being built, amusement park is ok, great Mexican food and lots of new restaurants on west side of town. Minor league baseball games cater to family atmosphere. Occasional good concerts and plays (lion king in June). Avoid northeast side. Lots of road construction on west side but traffic still manageable. I'll answer any other ?s you have
elchucoag93
AG
Climate - hot, dry summers. Some rain in July August. Can snow on winter, but usually pleasant. Windy springtime. You are in the desert, so lots of dust. Cost of living not too bad except for property taxes
The Grinder (99)
AG
You might want to look around the el Paso country club if that's in your budget. Consider a social membership for entertainment, or full membership if you play golf or tennis.

The high schools you want to feed into are Coronado or franklin

My $0.02
Dr.Rumack
You can always get to the airport in twenty minutes no matter what.
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Flife%2Fpeople%2F2014%2F02%2F07%2Fwoody-allen-responds-to-dylan-farrow-accusations%2F5297967%2F&docid=fu-ZRcsk0xH-nM&tbnid=vd1Ki_1RSpNBlM%3A&vet=12ahUKEwilsqutrdbbAhUHW60KHX5YANw4ZBAzKBswG3oECAEQHg..i&w=534&h=712&bih=529&biw=320&q=woody%20allen&ved=2ahUKEwilsqutrdbbAhUHW60KHX5YANw4ZBAzKBswG3oECAEQHg&iact=mrc&uact=8
RightWingConspirator
AG
I grew up in El Paso. I'm not a big fan of the town, but what has been written is true. It is a relatively safe town and violent crime is pretty rare. There is fantastic Mexican food there. One problem that existed (and maybe it still does) is auto theft. My family alone had three cars stolen from us. I had a really cool jeep that was stolen right out of my high school parking lot.

I'll also echo the previous recommendations. You want the West Side.

My grandma lives in Kern Place (by UTEP) and I'm a graduate of Hibbard G. Polk (also attended Carlos Rivera), Morehead Jr. High and Coronado HS.
AggieBarstool
elchucoag93 said:

Born n raised.
Still very small town, especially the politics unfortunately. Don't let proximity to Mexico scare you, it is a safe city. Best schools are on west side (mesita elementary is very good, near utep). Neighborhoods around mesita are nice if a bit older. Further west there are some very nice neighborhoods (I live in The Willows, love it, nice neighborhood for kids). Family entertainment, - great hiking in the franklin mountains, new children's museum being built, amusement park is ok, great Mexican food and lots of new restaurants on west side of town. Minor league baseball games cater to family atmosphere. Occasional good concerts and plays (lion king in June). Avoid northeast side. Lots of road construction on west side but traffic still manageable. I'll answer any other ?s you have
Lulz. Nice troll.

While certainly not as affluent as the yuppies on the west side or Kern Place, there's absolutely nothing wrong with NE El Paso. Central, Lower Valley, and downtown are infinitely worse. NE El Paso is predominantly military housing (further north), while some of the more southern parts are older. Lots of little mom-and pop type places. The area does need some economic rejuvenation, but that's (hopefully) coming in the repurposing of the former Cohen Stadium.

Source: Born & raised in El Paso, left because I became an Aggie. Lived in NE all my life (family is still there). Went to Crosby, then homeschooled for middle-school, and Jefferson / Silva Magnet for high school.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.