West Texas
Sponsored by

Odd things in your home town

2,472 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LoudestWHOOP!
LoudestWHOOP!
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Midland (Picture taken 2013)
I always found this to be oddly interesting about Midland. Practically in my back yard. Not a big deal, but one I am somewhat familiar with.
In the Rosa's Tortilla Factory parking lot by Midland Drive and Loop 250 there is a sign for Wienerschnitzel. The only problem is that there is no Wienerschnitel at that location and hasn't been in Midland for over 20 years.
Luckily I have lived in town just long enough to have seen the progression of things, but still don't know why it is it still there. (Maybe someone can fill me in.)
When we first moved to Midland in 1993 there actually was a Wienerschnitzel at that location, but was closed down just a few years later. The building was torn down, but the sign remains as many restaurants came and went around the location. Fast forward to about 2 years ago when a new Wienerschnitzel was built in Midland just off of Loop 250 about 1 mile west of this lonely sign. I don't know if they will ever put an additional sign up there that says,"<-- 1 Mile" just below the long standing existing one, but it may make it a bit more useful.

What have you got in your neck of the woods?
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I know that Odessa has concrete Bronchos and Jackrabbit all around town, painted up different ways where it sits out in front of businesses. OK, the Odessa HS mascot is a Broncho. There is a story at ECISD Admin building next to the first concrete jackrabbit about being roped in Rodeos way back and their prevalence.
But has anyone seen what Tulsa Oklahoma has stationed all over town in a similar fashion?
UTExan
In Ranger, Texas from the late 1950s- early 1960s:
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Old Rip is a good story out of Eastland, Texas

The story of Ol' Rip
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Would like to know if anyone has the REAL story about what happened to the Lake in Big Lake?
rbcs_2
AG
Alpine here. There are plenty of odd things with the town I suppose.The one thing I remember that seemed odd when we first moved there was several places around town doubled as different stores. One of the hardware stores was also a pet store, Western Auto was also Radio Shack, etc.

I remember the Midland Wienerschnitzel. We would go up "to town" every few months and my mom loved that place for whatever reason.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
rbcs_2 said:

I remember the Midland Wienerschnitzel. We would go up "to town" every few months and my mom loved that place for whatever reason.
I worked with a full blooded Hispanic guy about my age probably 35 at the time and he said the Wienerschnitzel chili is the best anywhere. He loved their chili dogs like I love enchiladas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.