Teaching at Tceh!

5,582 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by eric76
Paul Dirac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How is life in Lubbock? Enough to do? Climate? Cost of living? Crime? Part of town to live in?
CanyonAg77
AG
Friendly people. Great town for families. March sucks, but summer nights are often cool, and falls can be wonderful. Close to New Mexico for vacation. Tech is the north side of town, most of the nice neighborhoods will be south and southwest. Ranching heritage museum is great. Tech "fans" who grew up in Dallas are obnoxious, the locals are generally pretty cool
WestTexasAg
AG
Lubbock is shall we say.....lacking in the scenery department. However, its a pretty decent town overall. Cost of living is low, plenty of nice neighborhoods south/southwest (some pockets in the NW side of town), easy to get around and plenty of good restaurants.

Not much in terms of entertainment outside of Texas Tech events, but a good place to raise a family. As CanyonAg77 said, spring weather can suck. Summer is hot, but not humid, and it cools down at night. Fall is pretty nice. Winter weather will vary.

Lubbock ISD schools aren't the best, but Lubbock High rates pretty high academically. Lubbock Cooper and Frenship (Wolfforth) are the two most sought after public school districts. Several good private schools as well.
CanyonAg77
AG
Lubbock high is a magnet school, right? Sucks at sports because it's mainly nerds? But it is Buddy Holly's alma mater
Drawkcab
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
When I graduated from TAMU in the 90's (having grown up in the Abilene area), I had an interview offered in Tulia (I was looking for a teaching job) which is between Lubbock and Amarillo (closer to Amarillo.) I declined the interview, and thought to myself, "who the hell wants to live up there?"

I've now lived in Canyon, just 25 miles north of Tulia, for the past 9 years, and I don't plan to ever leave.

Yes, this part of the country doesn't immediately call out to you in terms of natural beauty, but it does have a different kind of beautiful that really grows on you. I now love the wide openness and the stunning sunrises and sunsets can be breathtaking. Caprock Canyon and PD Canyon ARE truly beautiful, and the proximity to the mountains is nice if you really need that.

But what makes these communities special, which is true in all communities, is the people. West Texas is just full of great people who value faith, family and country above all. If those things are important to you, you will do well.

And contrary to popular believe, both cities have thriving arts cultures.
Lubbock has a robust social scene, with Tech there it draws in lots of entertainment and dining. Amarillo is a little less "vibrant" on that front but still have plenty of dining and some unique entertainment options, including minor league baseball, and WT provides a little smaller college town feel in Canyon, as well as a great athletics program if you enjoy live sports. The I27 corridor has become my favorite part of Texas.
BrazosBendHorn
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

When I graduated from TAMU in the 90's (having grown up in the Abilene area), I had an interview offered in Tulia (I was looking for a teaching job) which is between Lubbock and Amarillo (closer to Amarillo.) I declined the interview, and thought to myself, "who the hell wants to live up there?"

I've now lived in Canyon, just 25 miles north of Tulia, for the past 9 years, and I don't plan to ever leave.
Canyon >>>>> Tulia.

(Disclosure: I'm CHS Class of '77. Been living on the Gulf Coast south of Houston for the last 30 years. I like being close to the beach (except during storms like Ike and Harvey), but I miss hiking in Palo Duro Canyon)
Drawkcab
Teaching in Canyon? If so you likely know my sister in law and maybe even me and my wife.
Paul Dirac
https://www.aclu.org/other/racist-arrests-tulia-texas

I remember this story from 60 minutes. Bone chilling if true.
CanyonAg77
AG
Paul Dirac said:

https://www.aclu.org/other/racist-arrests-tulia-texas

I remember this story from 60 minutes. None chilling.

Story is bullcrap.

They were guilty..

More later

CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2005/april/tom-coleman-is-not-the-biggest-racist-in-america/

Quote:

Tom Coleman is Not the Biggest Racist in America

When 10 percent of the black residents of a small Panhandle town were snagged in a drug bust, the white cop responsible for it became the poster boy for bigotry. It's time to unlearn everything you think you know about Tulia, Texas...

How could Coleman get off so easily? And why wasn't anyone going to pay for the grave injustice committed in Tulia? As it turns out, the media got the story wrongor never wanted to know the truth.
Paul Dirac
Thanks! It was a good read. What a white & black difference between that article and 60 minutes.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.myplainview.com/news/article/Not-so-innocent-after-all-09-19-2004-8881430.php

Quote:

According to a Sept. 9 in-depth story by CBS-11 News, Dallas-Fort Worth, at least 11 of the 35 pardoned defendants admitted to the FBI that they sold drugs - with eight of them admitting selling powder cocaine to Coleman...

Two additional defendants were seen dealing coke with Coleman - meaning at least a third of the total defendants were guilty but ultimately set free...

But the CBS-11 report said the lead FBI agent who spent nearly three years looking for evidence that Coleman was racist (or) that Coleman fabricated evidence to rid Tulia of blacks found none to support those allegations.

Moreover, according to the story, Special Agent Tim Reid of Amarillo told Texas investigators, It was his opinion that the Tulia arrests were not racially motivated, and that Thomas Coleman had not violated any laws.

One of those pardoned, noted CBS-11, Alberta Stell Williams, boasted to FBI agents that she had sold more drugs to Coleman than she was prosecuted for. According to a state investigators summary of (the FBIs) interview with her, (she) stated that she sold crack cocaine to Coleman four times but was only charged with one sell

Another pardoned defendant admitted selling and giving coke and marijuana to Coleman on a number of occasions. And still another defendant said he and some friends sold him fake dope on at least one occasion.
CanyonAg77
AG
Paul Dirac said:

Thanks! It was a good read. What a white & black difference between that article and 60 minutes.

Scream the accusation, whisper the retraction.

An alleged racist cop in a conservative, religious, Republican, Texas town was just too damn juicy for the media to ignore. Halle Berry was even going to make a movie about it. When the truth came out, the whole thing vanished like a fart in the West Texas wind.

Side note, I am acquainted with the FBI agent. Kids were in HS Band and track together, he and I served on a local youth sports board together.

I believe him.
Paul Dirac
Media & most "journalism."
WestTexasAg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Lubbock high is a magnet school, right? Sucks at sports because it's mainly nerds? But it is Buddy Holly's alma mater

Correct!
WestTexasAg
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Yes, this part of the country doesn't immediately call out to you in terms of natural beauty, but it does have a different kind of beautiful that really grows on you. I now love the wide openness and the stunning sunrises and sunsets can be breathtaking. Caprock Canyon and PD Canyon ARE truly beautiful, and the proximity to the mountains is nice if you really need that.

But what makes these communities special, which is true in all communities, is the people. West Texas is just full of great people who value faith, family and country above all. If those things are important to you, you will do well.

Lubbock has a robust social scene, with Tech there it draws in lots of entertainment and dining. Amarillo is a little less "vibrant" on that front but still have plenty of dining and some unique entertainment options, including minor league baseball, and WT provides a little smaller college town feel in Canyon, as well as a great athletics program if you enjoy live sports. The I27 corridor has become my favorite part of Texas.
Canyon is easily the best small town in West Texas in my opinion.
Upperdeck Critic
Lubbock is a city which is not able to get along with itself.
Having worked with the city on an issue or two, they really make bad policy decisions especially
regarding their electric system.
Wouldn't recommend living there or anywhere nearby.
If you live in the Panhandle or West Texas, Canyon is the place!
CanyonAg77
AG
Upperdeck Critic said:

Having worked with the city on an issue or two, they really make bad policy decisions especially
regarding their electric system.

They used to have a city owned electric company, which competed with what is now Xcel. Do they still, and whether r not they do, does that have something to do with what you said?

Quote:

If you live in the Panhandle or West Texas, Canyon is the place!

As much as I'm a cheerleader for Canyon, a 100 mile commute is probably a bit much for him.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
No, I work at WT though and have lots of kids in Canyon ISD.

And yes, Canyon in better than Tulia, but the entire panhandle is a great community.
Drawkcab
So, I just read about Ooo La Latte in Lubbock. Look em up OP.
busdriver88
AG
Moved to Lubbock in 91. If you had told me then I would be here for 31 years, I would have killed myself.

But I have grown to love this town. Previous posters are right. The people in this part of the world are fantastic. March sucks. But the weather most of the time is awesome, and the scenery, while different, is beautiful.

Subtract the 10% of ******* Tech fans, and life is good. Cheap to live here, can be in the mountains in 3.5 hours, and an airport that can get me wherever I want to go.

Make no mistake, I am leaving when we get daughter out of high school. But this community has been a blessing to my family.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
CanyonAg77
AG
You might want to wait until daughter is married and settled. I'd love to live out my life in the Panhandle, but when wife retires and mom passes, we are likely going to wherever the grandkids are.

Wait a few years and save a move
The_Thinker
Might not be relevant any more but I grew up in Lubbock, ran away, came back, ran away, and went back again. It's changed a lot over the years but I can probably still answer any specific questions you may have l.
Russell Bradleys Toupee
The Funky Door.
MooreTrucker
AG
Russell Bradleys Toupee said:

The Funky Door.
One of our favorite places. The owner is a friend and knows her stuff, wine-wise.

We moved to Lubbock when I was 11, (moved here from Brownfield) right after the big May 11 tornado, and I've lived here (except for time at A&M) ever since. Just to echo what's been said above, people are great, scenery is beautiful in it's own way, and despite the issues UC mentioned, they are no more than any other town/city. And the electric deal is working itself out with Reliant (and I think another one) coming to Lubbock soon.

My parents are both gone and my kids don't live here anymore (jobs not conducive to this area) so we'll probably relocate closer to where they are in the not-too-distant future.

But Lubbock is and will always be home, and I recommend it for pretty much everyone.
SW AG80
AG
And there are some really good Ags in Lubbock. As evidenced by this thread.
romanagg11
Always have loved the way the Lubbock grid layout of the city is, so much easier to get around than BCS 10yrs ago. Lived in both cities before and prefer the dry/cool climate better.
GasPasser97
AG
2nd tour up here in Lubbock. Both times from Fredericksburg.

Wife grew up in Fredericksburg and we lived there for 15 years.

Moved to Lubbock for a better job and we really like it here.

Evenings are fantastic…mild, breezy, and low humidity.

We spend far more summer evenings outside than we ever dared in Fredericksburg.

Mornings and evenings are beautiful.

March brings dust storms and high winds.

Lots of restaurants…family friendly…easy to get anywhere in 15 minutes

Airport is an international airport with reportedly short waits. Most flights are connecting flights, but you can get anywhere from here pretty easily.

NM mountains in 4 hours…Colorado in 8.

Tech sporting events

Tons of kids sports

The people really are great

Can't imagine going back to humidity again

Recently joined an inexpensive country club for swimming and golf, and the kids say it's been the best summer of their lives.

eric76
AG
WestTexasAg said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Canyon is easily the best small town in West Texas in my opinion.
Canyon is small?
eric76
AG
GasPasser97 said:

Can't imagine going back to humidity again

You got that right. When I first went to A&M, I needed to change shirts a couple of times a day. And that was in spite of me spending the month before I went to A&M out in the summer sun all day digging foundations for farm buildings by hand and barely breaking a sweat.

I don't think that I could ever move back to any place with high humidity. If I was going to move away from the Texas Panhandle, it would most likely be some place like El Paso, Texas, Las Cruces, New Mexico, or Tucson, Arizona and their surrounding areas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.