Ag building collapse in Sunray this afternoon

2,409 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jtp01
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They are apparently building a new Ag building at the school in Sunray. I just found out from someone in Sunray that the building under construction collapsed a little while ago and two workers had to be sent to Amarillo by Life Flight.
jtp01
AG
It's actually the schools vet clinic. 4 injuries mostly broken arms and legs.

A real set back for our school Vet, but he's a good one and will work through it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Good to hear it's not worse
eric76
AG
I'm glad nobody died. A building collapse during construction could have been very bad.

A high school with its own vet clinic? Wow!
eric76
AG
https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/4-hurt-after-veterinary-clinic-under-construction-in-sunray-collapses

The wind can definitely cause problems. In the wind storm on December 15, 2021, the wind was bad enough to blow a cinder block around on the roof of our building and snap an antenna mast on a nearby building.
jtp01
AG
Yeah. Sunray has some interesting stuff going on. Partnering with WTAMU and other community colleges to get kids down the path to a degree.

We also will have a greenhouse, an embryo lab, already have a cosmetology program and many other "technical paths".

The vet program actually prepares and will turn out certified vet techs for local feedyards, dairies, and hog farms.
eric76
AG
jtp01 said:

Yeah. Sunray has some interesting stuff going on. Partnering with WTAMU and other community colleges to get kids down the path to a degree.

We also will have a greenhouse, an embryo lab, already have a cosmetology program and many other "technical paths".

The vet program actually prepares and will turn out certified vet techs for local feedyards, dairies, and hog farms.
Very nice work getting all that.
SunrayAg
AG
eric76 said:

jtp01 said:

Very nice work getting all that.
And of course the local drama queens are screeching and whining on a daily basis because the superintendent has changed too much and spent too much, and they're trying to get him ousted...
jtp01
AG
Don't get me started on the drama. It's really getting old that folks refuse to show up for school board meetings then are upset when they don't know what's going on.

I don't always agree with the superintendent, but I have never been able to say he doesn't have the kids best interest at heart. As a matter of fact, I asked him specifically if we (as a school" were prepared for the influx of students we could see with the CTE program. I don't know if anyone has taken a look at real estate in Sunray lately, but this little market is doing very well!
txag2008
AG
Woah I just watched the video linked above and the supt was my HS supt. (15ish yrs ago in another panhandle town)

Small world
jtp01
AG
My son got interesting news last week. His Lego robotics team that was supposed to go to the launch of the Mars Rover but the trip was cancelled got word that his team has been invited to Florida this summer as their reward. They get to go to the Kennedy Space Center for a few days.

What other school in a small panhandle town could provide these kinds of opportunities for kids without thinking outside of the educational box?
CanyonAg77
AG
Good for the kids and the district.

I'd nominate the Ag program at the new Wildorado high school for another innovative program, but that's about it.
jtp01
AG
Yes, the folks at wildorado have cool stuff going on for sure. I used to know the school board president over there and he's a good dude!

The Vega FFA program is pretty strong also.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.