Fish Camp - Local opinion

1,893 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
Bluecat_Aggie94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody see the open letter to the Board of Regent that was posted by local orthodontist and former Yell Leader Kyle Sparkman?

It was on Facebook and I will see if I can post it, I have always struggled with posting images here so it might now work:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10159627299438859&set=pcb.10159627316848859

Bucketrunner
Good for him. It will take people like him to stop some of the madness.
Spider69
AG
The Rudder Association is/has addressed this Aggie "fish Camp" issue with the appropriate University administrators. Per reports of the Rudder Association and a few first hand attendees in 2021, this Aggie "fish Camp" issue is resolved. The Rudder Association is primarily organized round a FaceBook site - The Rudder Association Portal. It's a "private" FaceBook group requiring "joining". Aggies & Texas A&M University supporters that are wanting to preserve Aggie traditions are welcome to join the Rudder Association. They have $10/year dues or $250 lifetime memberships, I think. Joining the FaceBook group is "free" per my understanding.
Nixter
AG
A good reminder that even Aggieland isn't immune to this insanity.
RedAnimal12
Kyle is a stud and I appreciate his boldness to address the issue.

Personally, I haven't respected the fish camp tradition ever since they had their counselor "reveal photoshoot" at Bonfire Memorial in 2011. If there is a group that ignores tradition for self glorification more than fish camp, I don't know of them. They've needed an overhaul for years, and this is just the next step toward insanity. This is also sadly indicative of how our school and the current administrators are leading the school to become like the cow college down highway 21.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I was very involved in FC in the early 90s. We were very respectful of traditions, as leaders, and in fact I can confidently say that we saw the primary role of Fish Camp as exactly that, preserving and teaching traditions to the next generation.

As such a large organization, you can't micromanage every person inside, and some camps were problematic. I always saw that bonfire memorial incident as a case of just that.

The issues raised by Dr. Sparkman are more problematic because they demonstrate the institutionalization of some of this stuff.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.