moving to Canyon

3,828 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
Nixter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been married to a Canyon girl for 12 years now and the pandemic has moved my career online, so we are taking advantage and moving out of DFW to the Panhandle. Looking forward to cooler nights, a shorter trip to the mountains, and small-town vibes. Oldest is a Kindergartner and will be at the new elementary.

Any tips? How is the Suddenlink 1 Gig internet?
CanyonAg77
AG
We use Vexus fiber internet and have been pleased. We heat our house by burning the mailers that Suddenlink sends in the mail daily.

If you are in the attendance district for the new elementary, then thoughts and prayers for the traffic. The area between Amarillo and Canyon is exploding with housing developments, and the main roads are two lane FM roads.

She probably knows the Canyon restaurants and such, but our favorites are Sayakomarns and Pepitos. Canyon Ranch is a little more $$ but very good. Got Donuts for klobasneks (called kolaches). We still use Happy State Bank, but I'm disappointed that they just sold out to a huge Bank.

We enjoy Buffalo Lake NWR for a quick drive to see some wildlife. We used to go and be the only ones there. I think people discovered it during the pandemic, so you'll see a few people there.

Side note: Our kids are 2005 and 2007 grads of Canyon High. Sounds like your wife might be close to their age.
Nixter
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Side note: Our kids are 2005 and 2007 grads of Canyon High. Sounds like your wife might be close to their age.
She's a 2000 grad.

Thanks for the tips.
CanyonAg77
AG
That's probably enough removed from our kids that we probably don't know her.

Any specific questions, post again
jtp01
AG
I was disappointed in the Happy State bank deal too. But was assured that things would remain "business as usual". My guess is that means changes in 1-2 years.
CanyonAg77
AG
jtp01 said:

I was disappointed in the Happy State bank deal too. But was assured that things would remain "business as usual". My guess is that means changes in 1-2 years.
Yeah. I guess I can't blame the HSB guys for getting 2.4 times theor shares, but it feels like a betrayal.
ocling
AG
I wouldn't say they sold out to a huge bank, Home Bancshares (the buyer) is $18 billion in assets to Happy's $6 billion. Home is an out of state bank (headquartered in Arkansas) that is going to keep the Happy name in Texas, and while there will definitely be changes, the plan is to keep Happy's management team and lenders in place. Pat Hickman will also sit on the board of directors of Home
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
If your at the new elementary (I presume you mean Spring Canyon) your in our neck of the woods.

We have been here 7.5 years now and I never want to leave. We love it. Of course if you have a Canyon wife, you have heard plenty. It's a great community.

You hear a lot of bellyaching about Suddenlink internet, but we have had it the entire time and it has been consistent and reliable for us.

If you are out of the city limits and need trash service, can't say enough nice things about Starkey's. Have you ever heard of a trash service that will circle back if you forget to leave your trash out? They have done it for us twice.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about neighborhoods, realtors, services, churches, schools, etc. But you are making a move I bet you won't regret.
Nixter
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

If your at the new elementary (I presume you mean Spring Canyon) your in our neck of the woods.

We have been here 7.5 years now and I never want to leave. We love it. Of course if you have a Canyon wife, you have heard plenty. It's a great community.

You hear a lot of bellyaching about Suddenlink internet, but we have had it the entire time and it has been consistent and reliable for us.

If you are out of the city limits and need trash service, can't say enough nice things about Starkey's. Have you ever heard of a trash service that will circle back if you forget to leave your trash out? They have done it for us twice.

I'm happy to answer any questions you have about neighborhoods, realtors, services, churches, schools, etc. But you are making a move I bet you won't regret.
Sounds great. We'll be in Spring Lake.

Good to hear on Suddenlink, because it was the only high-speed option available. The fiber company didn't offer service, yet.

Already signed up with Starkey's.

We move in two weeks and are very much looking forward to it!

We are expecting to do a very significant renovation after we move that will need to be staged. Any builder/renovator recommendations would be appreciated.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'll look up their contact info later, but we had work done on our 60 year old house. First the rest of the house, later, the kitchen a few months ago.

Terry Poindexter (Amarillo) was the painter, did drywall, too. Extremely meticulous. He found our cabinet guy, Bryan Clemence (Canyon). They aren't cheap, but both are old school craftsmen. I can recommend both without reservation.

We live near the WT BB arena in Canyon. We would be happy to show you their work.
Upperdeck Critic
Canyon is a good choice in the Texas Panhandle. If I relocate to the Panhandle, Canyon is only city I would move to in the Panhandle.
CanyonAg77
AG
Area code 806

Terry Poindexter, I believe he calls his business Precision Painting. 570-4559

Bryan Clemence, Clemence INC. 584-1373

Terry doesn't do Facebook or WWW. Bryan has some old pages, that haven't been updated in years.

https://www.facebook.com/ClemenceInc/

https://clemencewoodworking.com/
CanyonAg77
AG
Upperdeck Critic said:

Canyon is a good choice in the Texas Panhandle. If I relocate to the Panhandle, Canyon is only city I would move to in the Panhandle.

I love Canyon, but for a small town guy like like me, the growth is overwhelming. Barring some nationwide economic disaster, Canyon and Amarillo will be one town in 20 years. They practically are now.

It's still a great place for the school system, still small enough you know your mayor or council members, easy commute to Amarillo for jobs or major medical care, having WTAMU in town is a major plus.

Were I simply retiring, I'd be tempted by some of the small towns off the Caprock in the eastern Panhandle.

I think Miami has the prettiest setting of any small town in the Panhandle.

I think Canadian would be a strong contender, if for no other reason than the quality of life, generously funded by the Abraham family.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texas/anything-but-ordinary-town-tx/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=texas&utm_campaign=newsletter&lctg=0000000001144518&utm_content=nlbuttonB3

Quote:

The Unique Town In Texas That's Anything But Ordinary

I think we can all agree that West Texas is a mysterious, intriguing place. It's full of mountains, lonely stretches of highway with not a town in sight, and the lingering presence of all who pass through it. Though much of this area could be described as "boring," there's one town that's anything but: Canyon. It harbors the best kept secret of Texas, beckoning for you to come discover it.

many more pictures
Nixter
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Area code 806

Terry Poindexter, I believe he calls his business Precision Painting. 570-4559

Bryan Clemence, Clemence INC. 584-1373

Terry doesn't do Facebook or WWW. Bryan has some old pages, that haven't been updated in years.

https://www.facebook.com/ClemenceInc/

https://clemencewoodworking.com/
Thanks for info. I'll probably reach out to them when the time comes.

We're going to have to get a designer and architect involved to figure out a master plan and then start chipping away.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Nixter said:

Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Sounds great. We'll be in Spring Lake.

Good to hear on Suddenlink, because it was the only high-speed option available. The fiber company didn't offer service, yet.

Already signed up with Starkey's.

We move in two weeks and are very much looking forward to it!

We are expecting to do a very significant renovation after we move that will need to be staged. Any builder/renovator recommendations would be appreciated.
That's our neighborhood, welcome! You will love it. Send me a PM and I have a couple of builders who have done work in the neighborhood.
Nixter
AG
No stars, so no PMs, unfortunately. I'll figure something out.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.