Best way to routinely travel between Amarillo and College Station?

7,584 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by CanyonAg77
TheOC16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I currently live in College Station, and a (positive) development for my business now will have me traveling to Amarillo on occasion. Right now I don't do a whole lot of travel for work so I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. For this first year it will probably just be 1-2 times a year (my first trip to the panhandle will be August 10th). However, I expect that to gradually increase to the point where in 4 years, I could see myself rotating between a week in College Station and a week in Amarillo for the months of March and April (possibly the start of June).

So what's the best way to navigate this distance? Is it is simple as Googling flights when I need one and just book through the cheapest airline? Or is there some sort of way to get any perks when you're flying back and forth between the same destinations?

Do I need to switch over to an airline miles credit card? I don't vacation out of state so I've never seen the use for an airline miles card. But now maybe? Should I switch my business card over?

Any thoughts/recommendations for lodging/transportation would be greatly appreciated! (I'll have to browse the board for food recommendations!)
RedAnimal12
Howdy and welcome to the Yellow City!

Generally when I was in school I would take SH 6 from B/CS to Waco; I-35 to I-35W on up to Ft. Worth, and US 287 up to Amarillo. It is a pretty stress free drive. There are other ground routes to Amarillo from B/CS further west, but they are not as expedient; the trade off is less traffic than I-35.

As far as flights, right now there is no direct flight from B/CS to Amarillo. You would have to stop at DFW with American; or Love Field with Southwest (not sure if Easterwood Airport supports Southwest or not). There are direct flights from Austin to Amarillo with Allegiant Airlines starting in November, but I have never flown with them. I have heard good things about them, and flights show that a round trip From 11/21 - 11/27 (round trip) around $140 right now.

If I were you, for your initial few months, I would make the drive. It goes by quicker with time. Google maps shows that the drive lasts 7 hrs. 39 mins; but I have made the trip in 6 hrs. 30 mins before. I guess you could say that I was flying, haha. If you drive on the original route that I suggested, you should stop in Chillicothe, Texas between 0800-1500 hrs. There is a great candy shop with a Caf (Texas Valley Pecans) and clean bathrooms. Gas station just down the road (Allsups). It takes 5 hrs. to get from B/CS to Chillicothe. Dang Good Candy and the caf food is great too. Pro tip: be on the look out for a speed trap in Estelline, TX.

As far as food and entertainment in Amarillo, I'll just list a few great places you can visit:

Restaurants:
Golden Light Caf
Tyler's BBQ
Spicy Mike's BBQ
Wesley's Bean Pot (out of the way, but good)
575 Pizzeria
Coyote Bluff
Texas Firehouse
House Divided
El Braceros
Tacos Garcia
Chuy's Mexican Caf
La Campana
Napoli's Italian
Buff's Cafe (Canyon, TX; 15 miles to the south of Amarillo. Get the fried fruit pie, trust me)

Attractions:
Palo Duro Canyon
Cadillac Ranch
Hodgetown for a Sod Poodles game (AA affiliate for the Arizona Diamondbacks)
American Quarterhorse Museum (if you are a fan of the Western motif)
Wildcat Bluff Recreational Area
Cinergy (Arcade, bowling, escape rooms, and movie theatre)
Tascosa Drive-in Movie Theatre
Amarillo Museum of Art
Creek House Honey Farm (Also in Canyon, Texas; just don't go there to eat a meal)
Route 66 Motor Speedway
Wonderland Amusement Park
Starlight Ranch Event Center (concerts)
Hoot's Pub (concerts and bar)

I am not so aware of lodging because I live here, but there are a number of hotels that you can use. Depending on where you are doing business, I would stay in the southwestern quadrant of Amarillo (south of I-40 and west of I-27). If your business is on the east side of Amarillo, there are some hotels right on I-40, but the east side of town can be rough. You need to do your homework before you pick a hotel on the east side, because there are a lot more seedy hotels than capable ones. The only advantage for staying close to business on the east side of town is that I-40 has been perpetually under construction, and can have significant traffic issues because of accidents. There are two good hotels downtown (Courtyard by Marriot and the Embassy Suites by Hilton, both with parking garages) but downtown can get rough at night with the exception of Polk Street between SE 6th & 9th Streets (night entertainment and bar district), and the Ballpark is safe at night. Another night district to visit is 6th Street between Florida and Maryland Streets (also rough surrounding neighborhood at night)

Hope all this helps. What sort of business are you getting into?

Oh, and avoid the Big Texan Restaurant like the plague. TOURIST TRAP.

CanyonAg77
AG
I prefer a more western route. Go to Temple, 36 to Abilene, I-20 to Roscoe, 84 to Lubbock, i-27 to Amarillo

The advantage is you avoid Ft. Worth The routes are almost identical for the time involved, but rush hour in FW can destroy your schedule

And if you get bored, there are endless back road variations

Unless you have your own plane, forget about flying. No direct flights, and by the time you clear security, layover, make your connection....you could have driven it plus some
TheOC16
AG
RedAnimal12 said:

Howdy and welcome to the Yellow City!

Generally when I was in school I would take SH 6 from B/CS to Waco; I-35 to I-35W on up to Ft. Worth, and US 287 up to Amarillo. It is a pretty stress free drive. There are other ground routes to Amarillo from B/CS further west, but they are not as expedient; the trade off is less traffic than I-35.

As far as flights, right now there is no direct flight from B/CS to Amarillo. You would have to stop at DFW with American; or Love Field with Southwest (not sure if Easterwood Airport supports Southwest or not). There are direct flights from Austin to Amarillo with Allegiant Airlines starting in November, but I have never flown with them. I have heard good things about them, and flights show that a round trip From 11/21 - 11/27 (round trip) around $140 right now.

If I were you, for your initial few months, I would make the drive. It goes by quicker with time. Google maps shows that the drive lasts 7 hrs. 39 mins; but I have made the trip in 6 hrs. 30 mins before. I guess you could say that I was flying, haha. If you drive on the original route that I suggested, you should stop in Chillicothe, Texas between 0800-1500 hrs. There is a great candy shop with a Caf (Texas Valley Pecans) and clean bathrooms. Gas station just down the road (Allsups). It takes 5 hrs. to get from B/CS to Chillicothe. Dang Good Candy and the caf food is great too. Pro tip: be on the look out for a speed trap in Estelline, TX.

As far as food and entertainment in Amarillo, I'll just list a few great places you can visit:

Restaurants:
Golden Light Caf
Tyler's BBQ
Spicy Mike's BBQ
575 Pizzeria
Coyote Bluff
Texas Firehouse
House Divided
El Braceros
Tacos Garcia
Chuy's Mexican Caf
La Campana
Napoli's Italian
Buff's Cafe (Canyon, TX; 15 miles to the south of Amarillo. Get the fried fruit pie, trust me)

Attractions:
Palo Duro Canyon
Cadillac Ranch
Hodgetown for a Sod Poodles game (AA affiliate for the Arizona Diamondbacks)
American Quarterhorse Museum (if you are a fan of the Western motif)
Wildcat Bluff Recreational Area
Cinergy (Arcade, bowling, escape rooms, and movie theatre)
Tascosa Drive-in Movie Theatre
Amarillo Museum of Art
Creek House Honey Farm (Also in Canyon, Texas; just don't go there to eat a meal)
Route 66 Motor Speedway
Wonderland Amusement Park
Starlight Ranch Event Center (concerts)
Hoot's Pub (concerts and bar)

I am not so aware of lodging because I live here, but there are a number of hotels that you can use. Depending on where you are doing business, I would stay in the southwestern quadrant of Amarillo (south of I-40 and west of I-27). If your business is on the east side of Amarillo, there are some hotels right on I-40, but the east side of town can be rough. You need to do your homework before you pick a hotel on the east side, because there are a lot more seedy hotels than capable ones. The only advantage for staying close to business on the east side of town is that I-40 has been perpetually under construction, and can have significant traffic issues because of accidents. There are two good hotels downtown (Courtyard by Marriot and the Embassy Suites by Hilton, both with parking garages) but downtown can get rough at night with the exception of Polk Street between SE 6th & 9th Streets (night entertainment and bar district), and the Ballpark is safe at night. Another night district to visit is 6th Street between Florida and Maryland Streets (also rough surrounding neighborhood at night)

Hope all this helps. What sort of business are you getting into?

Oh, and avoid the Big Texan Restaurant like the plague. TOURIST TRAP.

Thanks for the awesome and detailed help! Yes, based of the responses here as well as in the Aggieland board, it seems like driving is actually the best bet (may have to buy a car in a few years so I'm not racking up miles on the pickup, but we'll see).

Fortunately, I actually love driving. So this may become my new long drive.

And to answer your question, I work for a financial planning agency that works mainly with veterinarians. We have a special relationship with the Texas A&M Vet School, and now I've just recently been blessed to work my way into the same relationship with the new Texas Tech Vet School.
jtp01
AG
When you get up this way, chime in on the board. I could see an Avenue where your expertise could be used in smaller communities.

Sunray ISD for example is opening a Vet Clinic where the on staff vet will teach a Vet Tech course/certification I see this in partnership with WTAMU providing a path for kids to end up in a DVM program. I'd be happy to introduce you to the Superintendent if it's something you'd like to explore.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

And to answer your question, I work for a financial planning agency that works mainly with veterinarians. We have a special relationship with the Texas A&M Vet School, and now I've just recently been blessed to work my way into the same relationship with the new Texas Tech Vet School.
You probably need to make contacts at WTAMU, and the VERO program.
CanyonAg77
AG
I looked at Google Maps, it has the western route at 45 minutes slower. But it also, for some insane reason, cuts you off at Slaton, and sends you up FM400 to Plainview, adding 15 minutes. Don't do that, unless you just want to see different country. Staying on 84 until Lubbock, and joining I-27 will save you from low speed limits and multiple stops.

So, if you believe Google Maps, the western route is 30 minutes slower. Now you have to weigh the possibility of traffic going to Hades anywhere between Waco and northern Ft. Worth, and stealing that 30 minutes back, plus some.

If you drive the trip more than once, I suspect you'll try both and make your own decisions. Plus, take a look at all the roads that cut cross country and roughly parallel either route. You may want to see some of the old ranching country like Spur, Matador, Aspermont, etc. etc.
CanyonAg77
AG
Building off Red Animal:

Haven't been, no opinion

Golden Light Cafe
Spicy Mike's BBQ
House Divided
Chuy's Mexican Caf
La Campana

Been there, don't agree

575 Pizzeria - it was good, I just don't get the extreme love for it some have
El Braceros - we were very unimpressed by the one on Bell Street. Are the others the same management?
Texas Firehouse - not that special, but I don't like sports bars, so...
Napoli's Italian - if they are the same people who had a location in Canyon for a while, I was very unimpressed with the Canyon store

Agree

Tyler's BBQ
Coyote Bluff
Tacos Garcia
Buff's Cafe (Canyon, TX)

Add my favorites:

My Thai
Hoffbrau (steak)
Pescaraz (Italian)
Pancake Station (breakfast)
Green Chile Willies (chicken fried steak, between Canyon and Amarillo)

Best steak in the Panhandle, if they are still in business, Double XL Steakhouse, north of Lake Meredith.

Canyon:

Sayakomarn - Thai
Pepitos - Mexican
Canyon Ranch - slightly upscale
Feldmans is decent "American" and a quirky place to eat
Jury still out on Texas Rose. Have had a good CFS there, and had a way over-salted sirloin.

I'm curious about the "don't eat" at the Creek House Honey place. We've bought gifts there, never ate, but it seems popular.

I will also stand up for Big Texan. It has mid-level steak for premium price. Yes, it is a tourist trap. It all but says so in its advertising. They are not fooling anyone, people go there off I-40 because they want that over-the-top "Texas" experience. I've been drug there a time or two by out-of-town folks, and I've adjusted my expectations and enjoyed it. Friendly staff.

Most of all, the owner, Bobby Lee, is a tireless and enthusiastic promoter of Amarillo. I cut him a lot of slack because of that.

I am confused, though, that Red Animal hates Big Texan, yet promotes Cadillac Ranch, which is the dumbest, most disgusting, most useless "attraction" in Amarillo. Ever seen a wrecking yard, surrounded by litter, in the middle of a wheat field? Then save yourself a trip.
Creek06
AG
CanyonAg knows his business. Originally I always took the 287 route and Ft Worth to Waco was a nightmare and continues to be.
eric76
AG
The VFW hall in Amarillo is also open for supper from 4 pm to 10 pm six days a week (closed on Tuesday).

https://www.facebook.com/amarillovfwpost

I haven't eaten there yet, but hope to the first chance I get. I was in Amarillo last Friday for a medical procedure, but didn't make any stop, before or after so I was back to my office by noon. They told me not to drive for 24 hours and gave me a funny look when I asked about climbing ladders.
Vascular Ag
AG
Couple of additions

For local restaurants, we love Blue Sky hamburgers

When driving between Amarillo and College Station, the Pecan Shed in Henrietta has pretty good food as well. You can call ahead to order and they will have it ready for you and fill up with gas at the same time
Vascular Ag '95
bco2003
AG
I made the trip to CS many times coming from eastern NM. Taking your 36 route suggestion was my favorite by far.
CanyonAg77
AG
bco2003 said:

I made the trip to CS many times coming from eastern NM. Taking your 36 route suggestion was my favorite by far.
I grew up in Hale County, drove the 36 route in a '73 Monte Carlo, back when it was a much worse road.

Was also in the inaugural B CO in 76-77, assuming that's what your username means.
bco2003
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I grew up in Hale County, drove the 36 route in a '73 Monte Carlo, back when it was a much worse road.

Was also in the inaugural B CO in 76-77, assuming that's what your username means.
Yeah, that's a pretty long trip now on decent roads. Crappy roads wouldn't be much fun that distance.

Cool about your inaugural B-Co year. I guess Col. Ramirez was a pisshead when you were a zip then?
CanyonAg77
AG
Yep. Joe was a hard charger, even then.
MooreTrucker
AG
I was in B Co starting fall of '77 so we just missed each other.
CanyonAg77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

I was in B Co starting fall of '77 so we just missed each other.

Yes and no. I marched with the Band as a dead elephant a few times in the fall of 1977. They needed holes filled due to lost fish, and they asked some of we 5th year seniors to fill in.

The CTs didn't want us in March-in, so I sat in the stands for that and only marched at half time. Other than friendly conversations, I didn't say much at drill, figured it wasn't my place. I wore Senior uniform and brass, and low quarter shoes. Again, I was there to help, not relive my zip year.
TheOC16
AG
jtp01 said:

When you get up this way, chime in on the board. I could see an Avenue where your expertise could be used in smaller communities.

Sunray ISD for example is opening a Vet Clinic where the on staff vet will teach a Vet Tech course/certification I see this in partnership with WTAMU providing a path for kids to end up in a DVM program. I'd be happy to introduce you to the Superintendent if it's something you'd like to explore.
Interesting! So you're saying a high school is starting their own vet clinic? That is a really inventive idea. I hope it works out, and I'd be excited to follow it! And yes I'd love an introductions to any administration to be able to connect.
jtp01
AG
Yes that is exactly what we are doing. It's under construction right now. It's a win win for everyone. Kids get exposure to the industry, community gets a local vet clinic and industry gets Vet Tech certified employees to help with the Dairy/feedyards/and hog farms.
gjchap88
AG
"Routinely" travel? My two cents...

Driving:
CanyonAg has a point on the western route, much prettier but lots of little stops to get you to I20. My kids have been driving it for 8 years now and the FW route is the quickest (especially with a toll tag) - just avoid FW between 3:30pm and 6:30pm on weekdays and you're looking at 7.5 hours or less - of course now Waco is a zoo and it can add a little time. Add a wife, add an hour or more.

Flying:
Drive to IAH and catch United direct - there are at least two flights each way each day currently.
84AGEC
AG
I've driven it 6-12 times a year for 35 years.
I've gone several ways just to see different country.
Going through ft worth to Wichita Falls to Amarillo is the fastest way.
If your going to Lubbock,Waco to Hico to Eastland to sweetwater to post to Lubbock
RedAnimal12
No wonder Canyon and I disagree on things, he's GRam trained lol!
CanyonAg77
AG
RedAnimal12 said:

No wonder Canyon and I disagree on things, he's GRam trained lol!
Little trouble with numbers there, and who was training who?
RedAnimal12
Forgive me for reading poorly, my mistake. I'm also having trouble with how subjective opinions fall in the purview of criticism on this page (isn't the first time either). I was just trying to help out.

And whether you were GRam trained, or whether he was Canyon trained, it was merely poking fun.
CanyonAg77
AG
There are forums here and Facebook groups, if you want to criticize General Ramirez. This page is not really the place for that.

You certainly are allowed to have a different opinion about him, but as someone who first met him over 45 years ago, and someone who has been an admirer of the Corps since the 1960s, a participant in the 1970s, and a parent in the 2000s, I have great respect for Joe and the job he is doing. That's an opinion shared by my BQ classmates, who also had cadet children, and are of a range of professions and politics, and varying military and non-military careers.

Without naming names, there have been some Commandants who were much, much worse.

Side note, you confused me by saying I was "GRam trained". I was his upperclassman, not the other way around. I was among the cadre who trained him.

All that to explain why I am through with that subject on this Forum. Want to beat it to death on the Military Board, I might engage. Panhandle Board? No.

As far as disagreeing about other Amarillo sights and attractions, so what? People have different tastes and opinions. I simply mentioned where I disagree, gave my reasons for my opinions, and that's that. I didn't disparage you for your selections, I merely noted that we were 180 degrees out of sync regarding Cadillac Ranch and Big Texan.

If I really wanted to stir stuff up, I could have talked about the relative character of the founders of each.

RedAnimal12
Alright,

to set things straight, I wan not criticizing GRam, although I might, it was a passing comment (meant to be humorous) that you and I seem to disagree on subjects at the same rate that I do with GRam. That was it, not a bash about the job that he is doing, just an observation at the rate of disagreement. While I may disagree with his policies (because I was there), I will say that his staff is some of the best bulls that I could have ever hoped to have learned from in my time (Stebbins, Cassel, Beaty, Betty, Schrank, Gardner, etc.). I read your post about being in the corps with him rapidly, and simply misread who was the zip and who was the 'head. *Insert Aggie joke here*

And who cares? I do on a certain level. This isn't the first time that I have tried to help an out of town guest with info on our great city, and the help is subject to scrutiny. Who care that you disagree? Does it carry enough weight that the world must know about it? Just add what you think is good and move on. This isn't the Canyon forum, its the panhandle forum; just like it isn't the Red Animal forum. While I may disagree with some of your recommendations, OC may like'em so let'em cut his wolf loose there. I didn't get on here to troll, I got on here to help.

And yes, the makers of some of the attractions are shady as hell. Don't condone them or support a positive legacy at all. The recommendation was just that, a recommendation; not a tablet in stone sent down a mountain as sacred text. I'm sure that the owner of the Big Texan is a nice guy, just like the owners of numerous places (including Napoli's). I just don't care to send out of town friends there, but I won't bash your opinion that it is a nice place to go.

Nice add on Green Chili Willy's and Blue Sky. Totally spaced on those; and I need to check out the steakhouse near Meredith.
RedAnimal12
And to answer your question about Creek House Honey Farm,

Th shop and attractions are great, as is the mead that they brew at the ranch. The food however was very basic and overpriced. I built a deck across the street and planned on eating there on the first day we poured concrete. A sandwich and glass of mead was $17 and less impressive than a fired spam sandwich. Great people, but the food menu could use an overhaul if they want to grow their kitchen.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

. This isn't the first time that I have tried to help an out of town guest with info on our great city, and the help is subject to scrutiny.
Just curious, what username was on those posts?
Spider69
AG
TheOC16 said:

I currently live in College Station, and a (positive) development for my business now will have me traveling to Amarillo on occasion.

Don't know if you're still making this trip. If you are, you should do Hwy 6 to Quanah then US 287 at lease once to see why Hwy 6 runs both directions! At least that's what Dean R.C. Potts (College of Agriculture at TAMU) told me in 1965!
It's NOT the fastest! But I made that drive both directions quite a few times in my 30 years living in Amarillo with three Aggie kids ('92, '94, & '01). Made it 17 times in 1997-1998, school year, alone.
Aggie1
AG
How many of these new electric vehicles can make the trip from Amarillo to College Station (Houston, El Paso, etc.,) without recharging??
Lurch
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I prefer a more western route. Go to Temple, 36 to Abilene, I-20 to Roscoe, 84 to Lubbock, i-27 to Amarillo

The advantage is you avoid Ft. Worth The routes are almost identical for the time involved, but rush hour in FW can destroy your schedule

And if you get bored, there are endless back road variations

Unless you have your own plane, forget about flying. No direct flights, and by the time you clear security, layover, make your connection....you could have driven it plus some
Seems like I recall much of this route 49 years ago this. week!
A-A Ron
CanyonAg77 said:

Been there, don't agree

Napoli's Italian - if they are the same people who had a location in Canyon for a while, I was very unimpressed with the Canyon store

Agree

Pescaraz (Italian)

Being that you are more all about Canyon you probably don't realize this but the owners of these two establishments were / (possibly still are the owners) related and or were married and basically have an identical menu and used the same vendors for their products right? So to say one is bad and one is good you are talking about the same food.
CanyonAg77
AG
Well, the Napolis in Canyon has been closed for years. So I assume I'm not the only one that disliked it. Maybe it was the atmosphere, service, or management, but the Canyon store never seemed to hit their stride.

Currently a Tapatio Mexican food in that building, which seems really popular. We still prefer our neighbors' restaurant, Pepitos
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.