Amarillo VFW Post 1475

2,107 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by eric76
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Amarillo VFW Post 1475 has a restaurant that is open to the public.

From https://www.newschannel10.com/2021/05/12/amarillo-veterans-foreign-wars-needs-more-people-eat-new-restaurant/

Quote:

When the pandemic hit, the Governor ordered all places with liquor licenses also require a food license.

The VFW was selling only liquor to members at the time, so when they were shut down, they obtained their food license and started a restaurant open to the public so they could reopen.

Restaurant sales are what's keeping the post afloat, but members say it's been hard to get people in.

"The main goal of all the sales is to help cover the overhead here. Any access funds are literally turned right around back into the community. So, under COVID-19, we did just over $14,000 back into the community, you know, whenever most businesses were shuttered, the veterans were still gathering and trying to do what we could for each other," said Lowrance.

The chef makes almost everything from scratch.

"I have a maple glazed salmon that has bacon. Roasted pepper and corn risotto. We've got a hand battered chicken fried steak and we have a pretty good-sized rib-eye. I hand cut those... We've got a blackened chicken pasta, cajun shrimp pasta. Our street tacos sell quite a bit too. So, just a little bit of everything, every bit of money you spend on the food here goes towards the veterans," said Chris Drook, kitchen manager and chef at Amarillo VFW.

The restaurant is open to the public every day from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., but it is not open on Tuesday's.

Their location is located at 1401 SW 8th Ave, Amarillo, TX 79101.

I'm looking forward to the chicken fried steak. Good food and help out the veterans.
eric76
AG
By the way, they have a Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/amarillovfwpost
benchmark
AG
nm
eric76
AG
benchmark said:

nm
I'm not sure, but I think they switched to some other form of entertainment instead.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.