Student Housing in Amarillo

6,225 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by milner79
milner79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Potentially have a kid starting school in Amarillo at the Texas Tech campus this fall.

Any suggestions on housing (apartments, etc.), places to examine, places to avoid? Know of anyone selling a small property (condo/townhouse)?

Thanks for any suggestions.
HSEAG13
Pretty much everything on the central/ west side of town is fine. The east side is more industrial and I'd stay south of the mlk boulevard.
CanyonAg77
AG
Agree with above.

That being said, I'd try to contact current students, and see if there is an apartment/area where most of them live. I'm assuming pharmacy school, and I can't think of much in that direction that would be cheap housing.

One thing to remember is that commute times are probably not what you are used to, if you are in a big town. We live in Canyon, and can be pretty much any place in Amarillo in 30 minutes or less. Anything north or west of Amarillo would be even shorter times.

Heck, my new neighbor near my farm is a new Vet School prof. His place is 35 miles from campus.
milner79
Thanks for the insights, folks. Actually will be at the vet school, which I believe is in close proximity to the health science center.
milner79
CanyonAg77 said:

Heck, my new neighbor near my farm is a new Vet School prof. His place is 35 miles from campus.
BTW, Canyon, y'all got a good one up there at the vet school in Dr. David Dutton. Highly regarded equine surgeon, CSU vet school product who did a residency and taught at TAMU for a time. Great family. I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone up there with equine lameness issues and the like.

https://today.ttu.edu/posts/2020/04/Stories/SVM-Dutton
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm not a fan of the Tech Vet school, and have doubts about their long term stability. I don't wish them ill, it's just that I've spent a lifetime watching Tech, and I'm not optimistic about their long term success. I also think the premise of training in the Panhandle so they'll stay here, is bull.

That being said, several of their hires are outstanding people, and my new neighbor is a really nice guy, and one of their very good hires. This is him:

https://today.ttu.edu/posts/2020/04/Stories/svm-hunyadi
jtp01
AG
That's interesting Canyon. In Sunray we are building a vet clinic and will employ a vet to teach vet tech certification courses to our high school kids. They will graduate from high school with that certificate and be prepared for industry.

We are also running multiple CTE programs and have a heavy focus on trades(welders, carpenters, plumbers etc).

We are looking to move away from the standard school model and will eventually have our kids better prepared for the workforce. This is something I'm pretty passionate about. I'm tired of success or failure being determined by which bubble is shaded on a standard test! Our kids deserve much better, not all kids can grow up on a working farm like mine, but they should get an opportunity to succeed even if that path doesn't include college.
CanyonAg77
AG
I'm 100% for trade school type education.

Heck, I'd be thrilled if the schools were better at teaching basic life skills, like balancing a check book and the lottery is stupid.
jtp01
AG
Our superintendent has been to Austin quite a bit lately speaking with legislators. Heck, last week he was down there with 4 of our "grow your own" teachers. It a program allowing for college students to learn on the job after meeting certain criteria. They must maintain good grades in their remote coursework. It has been a great program that allows for our small rural school to attract young talent and keep them for 5+ years.

Our superintendent is a great asset to our school and is investing in our kids. Not long ago, we had an issue with a police standoff with a local man with a gun. The superintendent ran from his office gathering all of the kids into that were outside after lunch into the building and within about 3 minutes had all of the schools barricaded with busses in front of the doors.

I don't sit on the school board (I have zero interest in that) but I sit on a committee for the bond we passed to build this CTE program. To hear what we have kids doing is amazing. He also started a 3 year old program. It's not day care. Just yesterday, they had those 3 year olds writing their names.

As the son of 2 teachers I have a strong interest in how our kids are educated. I look forward to the day we get the P20 designation which will remove the state testing requirements for our students and give our teacher the reins to TEACH.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I don't sit on the school board (I have zero interest in that)
People who don't want to be in positions of power, are often the exact people we need to be there.
jtp01
AG
Now you sound like our superintendent!
milner79
ATTENTION, ATTENTION! We've highjacked this thread and we are taking it to Cuba ...
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry. It's a slow board. We tend to amble all over the place.
milner79
ttt ... although, it didn't fall very far in the past four months.

Still considering student housing in Amarillo ... maybe you know someone who has a good rental for a responsible student? Or another suggestion.

(And hoping all is going well with the neighboring school districts.)

Thanks.
CanyonAg77
AG
Sorry, most of us are old farts, well past school age. I do know there are some apartment complexes on that side of town. I don't know how familiar you are with Amarillo, but practically every hospital and doctor's office in town is on the NW corner of Amarillo, basically a triangle bounded and spilling out of the area between Amarillo Boulevard (Route 66) 9th Street, and Coulter.

My guess is with the medical complex and the Tech schools in that area, there must be a complex or area where the current med school / pharmacy guys hang out.

I'd try to get connected with one of their Facebook or other social media groups, and ask there.
bfolsom
AG
Are you still looking for a student housing? I have a 3 bed 2 bath, with 2 rooms available. I will also be attending vet school at TTU in the fall.
CanyonAg77
AG
Funny, I have zero connection with the Tech Vet school. but I have now met 3 of the faculty.

And despite my skepticism about the whole venture, they are pretty high quality people.
Jwoffor23
AG
Any advice for someone potentially moving to start vet school this summer and looking for a place? I'll be part of the TTU SVM class of '27.
Bucketrunner
Why?????
Jwoffor23
AG
What do you mean by that?
Bucketrunner
Just wondering why that unproven school would be a good choice.
milner79
This board - or at least this thread - is a real mystery to me. It was started ... and now continued ... by Aggies seeking advice and insights from locals. And all that seems to come in response is negative comments about the Texas Tech vet school.

Fire away at me and my question last year about housing all you want. But jwoffor23 is a recent Aggie grad who is taking the next step - and a very positive step - in his life. And you are going to try to demean his choice? For crying out loud. Start a new thread on the Panhandle board if you want to demean the Texas Tech vet school.

jwoffor23, for what it is worth, my kid has had a VERY POSITIVE first year-and-a-half in Amarillo. Loves the school, loves the opportunities around being part of a charter class, loves church, loves downtown, loves the Sod Poodles. Full-on positive experience.

All I can tell you in terms of housing is that the Renaissance apartments have worked out pretty well for us. Close to campus, gated access. Pricy, but I think that is the market. If you want me to put you in touch with my kid, let me know how to get in touch with you. Best of luck to you!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.