WTAMU - 30 years in A&M system

2,759 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Upperdeck Critic
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/news/20200904/west-texas-am-celebrates-30-year-anniversary-as-member-of-texas-am-system
Quote:

Todd Rasberry, the vice president for philanthropy and external relations at the university, said the progress the university has undergone during these 30 years is obvious....

At the time, Rasberry did not think it was a good idea for West Texas to become a part of the system, saying "it would be the death of this little school."

"I thought they would suck the life out of it," he said. "That is not A&M's model. A&M's model is to work with a regional institution, to expand the footprint and help the citizens of Texas."

Rasberry sees now that with the university being a part of the system advances its brand as a whole, helping WTAMU become a first-choice school for many students, even though they are more than 560 miles away from College Station.

"We are here in West Texas. We are the heart and soul ... of the Texas Panhandle and we are proud members of the Texas A&M University System because it does extend our reach," Wendler said. "I think that's good for the university. I can't find a downside to it. I don't think we've lost our identity. I remember when some of these universities were brought into the system because I worked at Texas A&M back then. There was a lot of discussion and a lot of universities were afraid they would lose their identity. I can't speak for anybody else but I can tell you for West Texas, I don't think it has had a negative impact on the identity of WT as a Panhandle-serving institution at all. Not one downward tick. It's just all positive."
I agree. This has been a fantastic deal for WT. The changes since we moved to Canyon in 1994, until now at WT are amazing.

https://www.wtamu.edu/about/events/30-years-with-am.html
texAZtea
AG
That's not the vibe the faculty of the Ag department gave off a couple months ago when I was there on a tour. They took every chance available to bash College Station.

It was probably warranted, but it got old.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
texAZtea said:

That's not the vibe the faculty of the Ag department gave off a couple months ago when I was there on a tour. They took every chance available to bash College Station.

It was probably warranted, but it got old.
Probably what you are hearing (I've heard it too) is WT faculty pounding their chest for what they do well. Everyone knows that A&M is the center of the universe for the A&M System, and for Ag in Texas.

WT has a superior program... in meat science. A&M is far larger, far more comprehensive overall Ag program. WT has a niche and they do it extremely well, and they will compare themselves to the big dog in the room, because everyone is going to compare against the standard. WT will never have the resourced to do everything as well as A&M
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

WT has a superior program... in meat science. A&M is far larger, far more comprehensive overall Ag program. WT has a niche and they do it extremely well,
Their on-campus meat market is fantastic.

(I'm not referring to leering at coeds)
Upperdeck Critic
Graduate of WTSU, Class of '75. A little disappointed with the leadership that College Station installed at WT. I had hopes the President would emphasize areas outside of Agriculture, but not so.

Always wondered why WT did not emphasize natural resources of the Panhandle and center academic programs around water, wind, sun, and other natural attributes of the area. Tech seems to have a water program going now.
At one time , there was one professor in science who had a wind program established at WT. Apparently it didn't continue after he left.

Seems as if the current administration at WTAM is quite conservative which is a reflection of the area.

One positive from being in the A&M system is the improvement in the appearance of the campus and the facilities. The Panhandle Plains Museum need some help though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.