Need help Ags - Podcast - Hank the Cowdog - Matthew McConaughey

3,907 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by reineraggie09
51Merc-98Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ok guys.....

So, I am luckily involved with a project that is about a popular children's book character: Hank the Cowdog.

Our ultimate goal is to get Hank on the big screen (and maybe dovetail into a tv/netflix series) - but, in the meantime, we are doing a podcast to demonstrate Hank's potential audience.

We have secured some of the following talent:

• Matthew McConaughey as lead role: Hand the Cowdog
  • Jesse Plemmons as Drover
  • Jeff Nichols as the Director

(I will release some of the other great actors as the episodes are released - or I will try and give a preview when I can before an episode is released)

Apple Store - Hank the Cowdog podcast

Anyways, we could really use your help - go visit the Apple podcast site (or other podcast if you don't like Apple) and subscribe to the Hank the Cowdog channel. If we can show the potential audience is high enough, it will make getting Hank to the big screen so much easier!

I was hoping to get a bunch of Ags to help support this endeavor - by subscribing, sharing, posting reviews, etc.

The creator of Hank the Cowdog is John R. Erickson from Perryton, Texas - he is a great person.

In our current world environment, it would be great to have Hank in as many homes as possible!

Just go listen to the 3 minute trailer. And if you like it - subscribe!

I know Ags ----- don't just turn your back because the silly sip McConaughey is the lead role - but, to think we got an Academy Best Actor Award winner on the project - it really is pretty cool. Plus, if we get back to normal and it's made into a movie - I will do my best to get McConaughey to give a hearty "Gig 'em" with me on the red carpet during the premiere.

Panhandle related because John R Erickson is from Perryton, Texas.

I will also try to post on the Premium and the Panhandle Boards (these are about the only 3 forums that I frequent).

Thanks and Gig 'em
---------------------------------------------------
Americans for Fair Taxation!
topoftexasag
AG
I'm in! I'll let it slide that McConaughey and John are both T-sips haha! We have been doing the year of Hank here in Perryton and it's been really neat. Nice work on the trailer. Have heard about a movie in the works, hope it all comes together. Good luck!
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Best of luck! Hank is right up there with Sherlock and Inspector Morse.
FJB
Aggie1
AG
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Adventures-of-Hank-the-Cowdog-1-74-Complete-Set-John-R-Erickson/152656042615
51Merc-98Ag
AG
First episode is out - go listen!!

For those that have listened, what did you think?

Looked at Apple podcasts and we are in the first position in the Featured section! Also have moved into the Top 20!

Gig 'em
topoftexasag
AG
Great production, really enjoyed it.
CanyonAg77
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/story/lifestyle/2020/10/30/hollywood-hank/6092391002/

Amarillo paper yesterday. You may have to view in private or incognito mode to get past the subscription.

Quote:

Feature: Hollywood Hank

If you don't live in a cave in Palo Duro Canyon, you've probably heard the news already: Hank the Cowdog has hit the big time if he hadn't already, after 75 published outings and nearly 10 million books sold. In September, the news broke that Hank would be launching his own podcast, with Matthew McConaughey voicing the Panhandle's favorite cowdog. It seemed, to those of us who grew up on the High Plains, somehow inevitable that Hank would catch the attention of Hollywood. After all, Hank the Cowdog has been such a vital part of Texas Panhandle life for so long, it was only a matter of time before the quality and unique humor of these stories gained an even wider audience.

And here in Amarillo, folks couldn't be more proud. The Yellow City has long provided a sort of "second home" for Hank (aside from the ranch, of course). Author John Erickson has recorded every single one of the Hank stories in an Amarillo recording studio, and Erickson has two sons living in Amarillo. In fact one of those sons, Mark Erickson who you may know as the lead singer of popular local band Comanche Moon was one of the driving forces behind the "Hank the Cowdog" podcast.
CanyonAg77
AG
Long, very nice article from the hippies over at Texas Monthly

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/how-john-r-erickson-became-king-canine-canon/

Erickson is an interesting guy, the article talks about his early life, his writing career, the origins of Hank, and more.
Quote:

The first time we spoke on the phone to discuss this story, Erickson was wary. "I don't want to wind up a dead coyote hanging on the fence," he told me. When we meet, he explains his initial hesitation: "I don't want to be part of a snotty little article about an old white guy who goes to church."

He says that a conservative cowboy writer like himself has reason to be suspicious of news outlets and entertainment companies. And he has long resisted compromising his principles for opportunities that might have brought him more fame and money. "I've always had a stubborn streak," he says. "I think it's natural to people in West Texas. Those who aren't don't get past the first dust storm. "Those readers cut a wide cross section, but Erickson is especially happy that Hank tends to resonate with kids who aren't natural bookwormsjust as he wasn't. "That's all the legacy a guy should need or want," he says....

Now the writer who wanted to be Hemingway is happy to be the guy who writes Hank. He takes his fans and his responsibility to them seriously. "I get letters from families who have read the books on the deathbed of a child," he tells me. "When you hear that, you need to remove your shoes, because you're on holy ground. It probably sounds kind of silly, but it's a bond of trust that we have with our readers. On the simplest level, it's, 'We'll never give your children anything that's poisonous.'
Pearl2010
AG
I haven't had the chance to listen to this yet, fully. I tried, but the way the sip spoke did not sound like the Hank in my head. I wasn't prepared.
Pearl2010
AG
I haven't had the chance to listen to this yet, fully. I tried, but the way the sip spoke did not sound like the Hank in my head. I wasn't prepared
clinte234
AG
Any update on future podcast episodes…or a movie? My kids have listened to these episodes about 5 times through…we all love it!
CanyonAg77
AG
clinte234 said:

Any update on future podcast episodes…or a movie? My kids have listened to these episodes about 5 times through…we all love it!
I think they stopped after one podcast, but when our kids were little (30 years ago) the library had almost all the Hank books on tape.

And now:

"Hank the Cowdog" read by the author
51Merc-98Ag
AG
All I can tell you is this: if you want to maintain control of your content, the gears can turn infuriatingly slow....

We are still working on it ......

That to say - THANK YOU for inquiring!!
clinte234
AG
I appreciate the reply...glad to know the project is still alive. Good luck!
CanyonAg77
AG
https://cowgirlmagazine.com/national-ranching-heritage-center-announces-grand-opening-of-cash-family-ranch-life-learning-center-featuring-hank-the-cowdog/

Quote:

National Ranching Heritage Center Announces Grand Opening Of Cash Family Ranch Life Learning Center Featuring Hank The Cowdog
SW AG80
AG
I will try this when I hit the road tomorrow.
reineraggie09
AG
51Merc-98Ag said:

Ok guys.....

So, I am luckily involved with a project that is about a popular children's book character: Hank the Cowdog.

Our ultimate goal is to get Hank on the big screen (and maybe dovetail into a tv/netflix series) - but, in the meantime, we are doing a podcast to demonstrate Hank's potential audience.

We have secured some of the following talent:

• Matthew McConaughey as lead role: Hand the Cowdog
  • Jesse Plemmons as Drover
  • Jeff Nichols as the Director

(I will release some of the other great actors as the episodes are released - or I will try and give a preview when I can before an episode is released)

Apple Store - Hank the Cowdog podcast

Anyways, we could really use your help - go visit the Apple podcast site (or other podcast if you don't like Apple) and subscribe to the Hank the Cowdog channel. If we can show the potential audience is high enough, it will make getting Hank to the big screen so much easier!

I was hoping to get a bunch of Ags to help support this endeavor - by subscribing, sharing, posting reviews, etc.

The creator of Hank the Cowdog is John R. Erickson from Perryton, Texas - he is a great person.

In our current world environment, it would be great to have Hank in as many homes as possible!

Just go listen to the 3 minute trailer. And if you like it - subscribe!

I know Ags ----- don't just turn your back because the silly sip McConaughey is the lead role - but, to think we got an Academy Best Actor Award winner on the project - it really is pretty cool. Plus, if we get back to normal and it's made into a movie - I will do my best to get McConaughey to give a hearty "Gig 'em" with me on the red carpet during the premiere.

Panhandle related because John R Erickson is from Perryton, Texas.

I will also try to post on the Premium and the Panhandle Boards (these are about the only 3 forums that I frequent).

Listened awhile back. Gave a rec to several panhandle friends. Loved it. Met Erickson a couple times as a kid. Hank was a family favorite. The audiobooks are literally the best. Glad John got to voice one of the characters in the podcast.
Thanks and Gig 'em
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.