You might be from the Panhandle if...

9,160 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by eric76
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You consider wind direction when parking your car
Cholula Verde
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

That's definitely not unusual around here.
BrazosBendHorn
I know I'm living in the Houston area when the lead story on KTRK this morning is about how the winds will get up to 20-30 mph (with possible gusts up to 40 mph!!!). HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...

(which is to say, typical Panhandle breezes)
Aggie1
AG
...the snow is deep only when drifted against your house, car/truck or stockade fence...
aggie appraiser
CanyonAg77 said:

...the passenger instinctively knows not to open his door until the driver's door is closed.
SunrayAg
AG
Yesterday I loaded and hauled off 5 trailer loads of tumbleweeds that had congregated around my house.
jtp01
AG
I've been in San Antone all week at a farm show. Now I have that to look forward to tomorrow morning.
expresswrittenconsent
You have sex with your sister

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/brother-sister-indicted-for-having-sex-with-each-other
MooreTrucker
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Ain't it so, ain't it so!!
highlonesomeaggie
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

You have sex with your sister

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/brother-sister-indicted-for-having-sex-with-each-other

They probably just moved here from East TX!
eric76
AG
You get four new tires on your car, but when you try to pay for them when picking up the car, they insist on billing you for them instead.

Edit: Since they didn't know my mailing address, they dropped the bill off at the office for me.
eric76
AG
You might be from a small county in the Panhandle if you know everyone in the county who has coronavirus, where they live, and you know other members of their family.
eric76
AG
You might be from the Panhandle if ...

you are driving down a muddy road and raising a dust cloud behind you.
jtp01
AG
Ha. We've had 1.21" of rain over the last 2 nights. Went to load some hay for a guy and kicked up dust behind me.

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Your kid comes home complaining that his science teacher told him that hummingbirds are the only birds that can hover and fly backwards... because he sees "regular" birds doing that all the time.
Panhandle Ag
AG
You get offended when passing another truck going the other direction and he doesn't lift his fingers off the steering wheel to wave back at you.
CanyonAg77
AG
Panhandle Ag said:

You get offended when passing another truck going the other direction and he doesn't lift his fingers off the steering wheel to wave back at you.
Wife from Houston, first year we're married.....

"Why are you waving at everyone?"
jtp01
AG
That's funny. I am originally from just North of Houston in Liberty county. We would wave at folks all the time.

My boss from South Dakota came down to spend a few days in the territory with me And was astonished at how many folks I knew and waved to. Couldn't believe me stopping in the middle of a county road to chat with a friend/customer until a car came into view. I instantly had a reputation for knowing everyone in Texas. The folks at the office started calling me Governor all the time.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

That's funny. I am originally from just North of Houston in Liberty county. We would wave at folks all the time.
She was from Spring Woods area, a nice area at the time. She said waving at strangers could get you shot.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Ok total city boy here. Do you take them out somewhere and just set them free?
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
This weekend made me feel fortunate to live in the Panhandle. We dropped in at the Canyon farmer's market on Saturday morning. I had seen the chatter around town about a "cruise" organized by regular citizens because of the canceled parade. I honestly didn't expect it to come together, or if it did, it would be nothing much. To my delight and my kid's delight, during the middle of our time in the market, about a 50 vehicle caravan, most with American flags and other signs of patriotism, came cruising through. No, it wasn't our typical huge July 4th Parade, but it was a boost to the spirits to see. The farmer's market had a good sized crowd, and the evening concluded with massive fireworks displays 360 degrees surrounding the area. With the dry weather and all the other factors, I thought perhaps the private fireworks displays would be down a little this year, but the opposite was true, more than ever. And God blessed us with a rain shower about an hour before the fireworks got started to suppress the fire danger (and another bigger rain just after midnight to insure anything smoldering was put out.) My only regret about living in the Texas Panhandle is that I waited as long as I did to get here.

CanyonAg77
AG
I was a little upset the impromptu parade was not better publicized. I have an antique tractor I would have brought in. I'd actually thought about doing it by myself, I had no idea others had the same thought.

I rode my bike past the Farmer's Market, I just looped down to 6th Avenue to get around it. As I headed west on the highway 60 service road, I saw a couple of antique tractors headed to town. Was the first I knew of it.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
It was just some guy on Facebook who organized it, so that and word of mouth. The city didn't do it, it was totally unofficial.
CanyonAg77
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

It was just some guy on Facebook who organized it, so that and word of mouth. The city didn't do it, it was totally unofficial.
Thanks, I assumed it was not official. Just wishing I had heard the rumors.
SunrayAg
AG
Wearer of the Ring said:

Ok total city boy here. Do you take them out somewhere and just set them free?

Well I loaded my 16 ft utility trailer and headed to the dump. By the time I got there they were all gone. So I tried 4 more times...

Had another wind storm a couple of weeks ago and hauled off 2 more loads.
CanyonAg77
AG
I've burned some piles of tumbleweeds. With all the air in a pile of tumbleweeds, they burn like a blow torch.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I'm glad they all had the good sense to jump out and run away. I feel much better knowing that.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
So what was the story on the chief of police and his wife?
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I'm just guessing but I bet they wouldn't have let the tumble weeds get away.
jtp01
AG
The Sunray chief of police drove to New York and murdered his ex wife and her husband/boyfriend in an attempt to circumvent a custody order for their children. There were some folks that helped him and there was at least one other officer that was implicated for renting the car for him. The whole thing was a REALLY bad deal for the entire community.
SunrayAg
AG
I used to sit across the table from him at lunch every Wednesday at Lions Club meetings. We would cut up and joke around, and I would frequently offer him 5 bucks to taze the speaker if he told a corny joke or talked too long. He would always laugh and offer to do it for free. Seemed like a pretty nice guy, and I considered him a friend.

His wife was bat poop crazy though. She had crazy dripping off her. He committed double murder to get her kids back, and is serving a double life sentence. Murdered 2 people in cold blood with their kid watching. Now I kind of hope he gets shanked in a prison yard fight.

His subordinate cop rented the car for him to drive to NY, and also is serving time for accessory to murder.
SunrayAg
AG
jtp01 said:

The Sunray chief of police drove to New York and murdered his ex wife and her husband/boyfriend in an attempt to circumvent a custody order for their children. There were some folks that helped him and there was at least one other officer that was implicated for renting the car for him. The whole thing was a REALLY bad deal for the entire community.
It was actually his wife's ex boyfriend/baby daddy, and his new wife. They had custody of her 2 kids, and she wanted him to help get them back.
Wearer of the Ring
AG
Holy Smokes.
jtp01
AG
That's right, it was the wife's ex. It happens just before we moved back to the farm and I got those details wrong. I asked my wife if we were sure we wanted to move back here. Of course I'm glad we did, best move we ever made.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.