Fishing Around Amarillo Area

6,449 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by HSEAG13
BeardedWoodsman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Me and my roommates (all ags) have recently moved to the Amarillo area for work. We were curious if any ags around here may know of any great places to go fishing. Mainly we were looking for catch and release but open to it all. I've heard Lake Meredith is popular but not sure if anything may be closer that we could go to after work?
CanyonAg77
AG
May have better luck on outdoors. All I have to offer is the old joke that we're in the middle of the best fishing in the world...just drive 500 miles any direction.

If all you want to do is wet a line for mud cats, I see folks fishing the medi-park lakes all the time, as well as Southeast Park lake in Canyon. Past that, you have Lakes Meredith, Mackenzie, and Ute, within 1-2 hours driving. Also Lake Theo in Caprock Canyons. Lake Alan Henry between Post and Snyder has a good rep, I think.

The Texas Parks Department stocks rainbow trout in the winter, but it looks like the last stocking was about 3 weeks ago in the Medical Center.
jtp01
AG
Meredith is a really cool lake. It's also very convenient for me since it's just a few miles as the crow flies from the farm.

I've fished some at greenbelt and never had a bite, but had both of my boys under the age of 6 with me solo and that was an interesting afternoon.
SunrayAg
AG
I moved to the Texas Panhandle in 1995.

I have not caught a fish in the Texas Panhandle since I moved here.

Not 1.

I have done some great fishing in New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, and other parts of Texas... so the joke about 500 miles in any direction is pretty much not a joke.
Aggie1
AG
McClellan used to be good - I have no idea if that remains valid today...
GSPag`
Lake Greenbelt was really hurt by the Drought. It was great fishing before that if you had a boat.

I would suggest Medipark. I have friends who take their kids and they catch fish.

And McKenzie is a beautiful lake if it has water again.

And welcome to the Panhandle. Please dont tell anyone our secret.
HSEAG13
Meredith is good, but large and most fishing may need boat access. The walleye are making a great comeback. I've heard some good things about Baylor lake around Childress since they've stock it with Florida bass. The guy I know was pulling out several six pounders while out there, but numbers are down so it was catch and release only. Other than that, red river, eagles nest, etc. for some trout stream fishing. The thing that sucks the most about the lakes up here is the wind. It can make or break a good day on the water.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.