Eats in Amarillo

9,555 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jtp01
TequilaMockingbird
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to be in Amarillo for two days soon, and am wondering about any restaurants that might be worth checking out. I've only been to Amarillo a few times but have probably been to a lot of the usual spots (Big Texan, Tyler's BBQ, Tacos Garcia, Blue Sky).

I've heard about Coyote Bluff for burgers. What other recs might you have?
CanyonAg77
AG
You hit the usual, already. Yep, Coyote Bluff is worth a stop. I've had "Wesley's Bean Pot" off River Road suggested as the best BBQ in AMA, but I haven't been there yet.

I'd suggest My Thai for oriental food (North Coulter), unless you want to drive to Canyon, then Sayakomarns (on the square) Another option in Canyon is Imperial Taproom EDIT: Not any more, it closed.

Best Chicken Fried Steak is Green Chile Willy's, on the east side I-27 between Amarillo and Canyon, just south of McCormick. There's a back road off McCormick, or exit FM2219 when southbound, then circle back north on the service road.

For Italian, we like Pescaraz, off of Bell Street
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Drive on down to Canyon's square. On one block you have the choice between the Tap Room (craft beer and eclectic menu), Barrel and Pie (woodfired pizza, bourbon), Recreation (burgers and tacos), and Sayakamarns (Thai).

CanyonAg77
AG
Don't forget coffee (Palace Coffee) and dessert (Canyon Bakery) And a good book (Burrowing Owl Books)
84AGEC
AG
And the taco shop
CanyonAg77
AG
84AGEC said:

And the taco shop
Forgot about the new Joe Taco. Heck, also forgot the Soda Shoppe on the west side of the square.

Joe Taco is adequate, and is also a chain operation. Best Mexican food in Canyon is Pepitos, on 23rd street, just south of 4th Avenue. He's also our neighbor. Good people.
WestTexasAg
AG
Between Blue Sky and Coyote Bluff, Amarillo has two of the top burger joints in the state.
TequilaMockingbird
CanyonAg77 said:

Best Chicken Fried Steak is Green Chile Willy's, on the east side I-27 between Amarillo and Canyon, just south of McCormick. There's a back road off McCormick, or exit FM2219 when southbound, then circle back north on the service road.
We wound up here. Good stuff.
84AGEC
AG
Need to try green chili
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You hit the usual, already. Yep, Coyote Bluff is worth a stop. I've had "Wesley's Bean Pot" off River Road suggested as the best BBQ in AMA, but I haven't been there yet.

I'd suggest My Thai for oriental food (North Coulter), unless you want to drive to Canyon, then Sayakomarns (on the square) Another option in Canyon is Imperial Taproom, on the other side of the square. Besides a crapton of brews on tap, it's pretty amazing gourmet food.

For Italian, we like Pescaraz, off of Bell Street
Have you tried out Wesley's Bean Pot, yet?

I have to go the doctor in Dumas on Thursday. I was tempted to run up to Wesley's Bean Pot for supper afterwards, but I checked the internet and it appears that the only time they are open after 3 pm is on Friday.

I'm supposed to have some blood taken on Thursday. I don't know if they want me to avoid eating in at least 12 hours before, so I probably won't eat anything after supper Wednesday night.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
CanyonAg77
AG
Haven't tried Wesleys yet. But if people think it's better than Tyler's, I'd say it's worth a shot
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Haven't tried Wesleys yet. But if people think it's better than Tyler's, I'd say it's worth a shot
I'm tempted to reschedule my appointment for Friday. From Dumas, it's about 25 to 30 miles more to eat there.

I've already rescheduled my appointment once and I hate to do it again, though.

The last barbecue I ate was really good. It was at the county stock show this year. The caterers for it don't run a restaurant, but they sure know how to barbecue. That barbecue was as good as any I have ever eaten. They also made the best prime rib I have ever eaten.
eaa84059-c3ef-468a-998c-75e682c328fa@8shield.net
jtp01
AG
The wife and I celebrated our anniversary last night at Double XL steakhouse just east of Dumas last night.

It is an amazing set up. They are only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday and by reservation only but man it was amazing. $35/person (tax included) got us each a huge salad, a 16 oz ribeye cooked perfectly, huge baked potato, hot link, bread, and a homemade apple pie with ice cream on top. Service was quick and attentive. It is cash only and byob

If anyone is look for an off the beaten path place, this is amazing and quite honestly less expensive that most places in town.
CanyonAg77
AG
Will definitely add that to the list. I've never understood how we are in the middle of ten million cattle, yet a good steak house is hard to find

That place sounds like a swankier version of Rafter G in Umbarger. They are only open weekends, and their specialty is all you can eat fried catfish on Friday night.
jtp01
AG
I can't believe we haven't tried it until last night. It's less than 5 miles from the house. But it'll be our go to for special occasions.

I've eaten at some "high end" steakhouses, but last night was easily the best steak I've had at a restaurant.
TequilaMockingbird
Red River Steakhouse? I understand they have locations in Mclean and Amarillo. A friend posted about them the other day (Mclean location) and said it is legit.
CanyonAg77
AG
I like the McClean location. The Amarillo one has been uneven for us. Good at times, less so at others.

And as I posted in another thread, tried XXL near Stinett. Heartily recommend it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Imperial Taproom in Canyon is no more. Not enough business. Probably too pricey for what you got.
eric76
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I'm supposed to take my oldest brother's wife to the doctor in Amarillo on February 11. I'm planning on trying it out then.

One quick question in their brisket -- do they slice it properly or serve it in thick chunks? I got to thinking about this and realized that I probably see it most often in thick chunks in the Panhandle, but sliced in other parts of Texas. Am I wrong about this?
RedCrackerAg12
AG
BBQ
1- Tyler's BBQ
2- Spicy Mike's
3- Delvin's
4- Wesley's Bean Pot
5- Crazy Larry's
6- Dyer's BBQ

Pizza
1- Moondoggie's
2- Joe's Pizza & Pasta (Bushland)
3- 575 Pizzaria
4- Fire Slice
5- La Bella Pizza
6- Palio's

Craft Ice Cream
1- El Paleton
2- El Tropico

American
1- The Golden Light
2- Blue Sky
3- Texas Firehouse
4- Calico County
5- Coyote Bluff Cafe
6- Polk Street Eats
7- The English Fieldhouse
8- Teddy Jack's Armadillo Grill
9- J's
10- Cecil's Last Chance Bar & Grill

Mexican Food
1- Joe Taco
2- El Bracero's
3- Taco's Garcia
4- El Tapatio
5- El Tejavan

Asian
1- Texas Chicken Bowl
2- Tokyo Express
3- Taste of Thai
4- Toom's
5- Pacific Rim

Nightlife
1- LIT Barcade
2- Golden Light Cantina
3- Hoot's Pub
4- Crush/6-Car
5- Guitars & Cadillacs
6- MJ's Saloon
7- Recreation Barcade (Canyon)

Breakfast
1- Pancake Station
2- Benjamin's Donuts
3- Burrito Stop
4- La Campana

High Dollar & Highfalutin Dining
1- The Drunken Oyster
2- Red River Steakhouse
3- The Republic Steakhouse
4- Cask & Corck
5- Open House
6- Embers Steakhouse

Chains (You may or may not have)
Whataburger
5 Guys
Firehouse Subs
Raisin' Cane's
Slim Chickens
Cracker Barrel
Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Torchy's Tacos
Beef O'Brady's
Fuddrucker's
Saltgrass
Texas Roadhouse

84AGEC
AG
Went to Brent's cafe last week and it was good.

Tyler's and coyote bluff are great.

CanyonAg77
AG
Leaving out the ones I haven't tried

RedCrackerAg12 said:

BBQ
1- Tyler's BBQ - agree

5- Crazy Larry's - brother and SIL love their brisket frito pie. Me, not so much

6- Dyer's BBQ - they still around?

Pizza

3- 575 Pizzaria - supposedly nationally recognized, we were unimpressed

5- La Bella Pizza - would put above 575, even though a chain (Canyon location)

American

2- Blue Sky - always good hamburger place

3- Texas Firehouse - not impressed

4- Calico County - blah

5- Coyote Bluff Cafe - nope, should be #1, or on a specialty list

7- The English Fieldhouse - haven't been there, but am a member of a Facebook group, "Amarillo Aviation and Fried Foods Society", a bunch of old farts who hang out there and take airplane photos

8- Teddy Jack's Armadillo Grill - unimpressed

Mexican Food

1- Joe Taco - average chain

3- Taco's Garcia - should be #1

#2 Pepitos, Canyon

#3 Jorges

Asian

#1, Sayakomarn's, Canyon

In the top 3 - My Thai

Neat occasional fun: Kabuki Romanza

Breakfast

1- Pancake Station - yep

High Dollar & Highfalutin Dining

2- Red River Steakhouse - the original in McLean much better

Hoffbrau

Maybe Kabuki goes here

Chains (You may or may not have)

Whataburger
5 Guys
Firehouse Subs
Raisin' Cane's
Slim Chickens
Cracker Barrel
Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Torchy's Tacos
Beef O'Brady's
Fuddrucker's
Saltgrass
Texas Roadhouse

Drawkcab
As long as we're listing places outside Amarillo, Got Donuts in Canyon blows Benjamin's away. Never understood the love for Benjamin's and it definitely wouldn't make my list of top breakfast joints. Maybe #10 if you only include donut places.
CanyonAg77
AG
I agree with Got Donuts. Nothing like Cambodians making Czechoslovakian Klobasnek and calling them kolaches.

Seriously, they're good people and their stuff is good. They were from the DFW area and moved to Canyon when their daughter came to attend WTAMU
TequilaMockingbird
Bump.

We'll be coming to Canyon October 9th for a high school football game at Buffalo Stadium. What are some other places to eat in Canyon?
CanyonAg77
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Bump.

We'll be coming to Canyon October 9th for a high school football game at Buffalo Stadium. What are some other places to eat in Canyon?
No big changes, really. Exception is Buffs (see below). Caveat, of course, is that God Only Knows what the Covid situation will be by then.

Imperial Taproom closed, as is Barrel and Pie. My favorite chain or non-chain are still Sayakomarn's for Thai, Pepitos for Mexican.

Pepitos is open with distanced tables.

Sayak is remodeling the dining area, but has open a small bar/take out, and I always see people eating there. It's also not a 51% bar, so you can carry if desired.

Green Chile Willie's a few miles north on I-27 is the best CFS or steak option in town.

For hamburgers, real steak fingers, etc., a relatively new place is Buffs. We like their steak fingers and their breakfasts. Very good.

Next level:

Joe Taco is a chain, but usually good.

Feldmans is a good "American" food place, it just doesn't have the wow factor for me of Sayak or Pepito.

Fat Boys BBQ is good, they seem to be struggling with getting meat.

Nothing wrong with Thai Kitchen, I just prefer Sayak

Bears Burgers is kind of hidden away, but we have had good luck there.

Hils Burgers on the south end of town has good burgers and we like their onion rings.

Not mentioned:

Palace Coffee, Got Donuts, and the Canyon Cake company are all quite good, but you're not there when they are open, probably. Have had good breakfasts at both Ranch House and Buenos Dias. Ranch House better.

Outside the box:

Rafter G steakhouse in Umbarger (12 miles SW) used to have a great all-you-can-eat catfish buffet on Friday nights. (Traditional German Catholic Community). They are open, but not currently doing a buffet. By October, who knows? They do serve steaks, and those are good, as I recall, but we mainly went on catfish night.

You could also swing by Buffalo Lake NWR on the way.
TequilaMockingbird
I've been to GCW and really liked it.

What about The Back 40 Grill?
CanyonAg77
AG
Never been to Back 40, sorry.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Back 40 is a a "Sysco" restaurant, meaning they pretty much buy all their stuff from the ubiquitous food provider. Doesn't mean they don't put them together their own way, it's a fine place to eat with nice atmosphere and good service, but nothing stands out culinarily.

CanyonAg77
AG
Well, here's a new one. Something called "Canyon Ranch Steak and Sports" has opened on the west side of the square, in the old Imperial Taproom location. Seems like it's been open about two weeks, and they have some outdoor dining.

The street was packed with cars when I stumbled across it today. Looks like it may be very popular.

https://www.facebook.com/canyonranchsteaksandsports
TommyBrady
AG
Same owners as Back 40 Grill in lubbock and Canyon
TequilaMockingbird
Well, we decided to settle for the familiar. Ribeye at Green Chile Willy's. pretty dang good.
Creek06
AG
Don't see Scott's Oyster bar on the list. Always reminds me of a shrimp shack down on the coast. Cold beer, boiled shrimp and service that is no nonsense.
keechi4343
AG
OHM. Fancy. Good
jtp01
AG
Creek06 said:

Don't see Scott's Oyster bar on the list. Always reminds me of a shrimp shack down on the coast. Cold beer, boiled shrimp and service that is no nonsense.

My only problem with Scott's is you have to get there EARLY. I love that place but living 1-1/2 hours from Amarillo, it's tough to get there on a Friday early enough.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.