WT breaking ground on new campus football stadium on Friday

2,369 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CanyonAg77
Bluecat_Aggie94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WTAMU to Break Ground May 11 on Buffalo Stadium
Aggie1
AG
Quote:

The cost of bringing Kimbrough Memorial Stadium up to program-of-requirements standard and addressing accessibility proved to be higher than a new on-campus stadium. Talks with officials at CISD about a transfer of ownership of the current stadium played a major role in the decision to build an on-campus facility. In February 2017, University officials announced an agreement-in-principal with the Canyon Independent School District for the transfer of Kimbrough Memorial Stadium.
I still like the old Buffalo Stadium...
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I was at the WT distinguished alum banquet last weekend. One of the honorees, who lives 15 miles away from campus in Amarillo, was astounded at how much progress has been made on campus in the past 15 years. This person attends several football games a year, but has not set foot on campus in that long.

College athletics is supposed to benefit the school. And yet, WT's football program doesn't even get people into the TOWN of Canyon, much less on the campus.

I, too, like the feel of Kimbrough. And it will still be there for high school games.

But this was absolutely the right move by WT.
CanyonAg77
AG
I have mixed feelings on the stadium. Kimbrough is one of the most amazing small college stadiums around. I hate to see it get less use.

However, I understand. The game day atmosphere on campus is almost nil. This should really bring up the level of excitement.

Referring to the guy who couldn't believe the changes, I agree. They have made major strides in the time since we moved here in 1994. We used to walk and bike on campus. after dark and on weekends, we were practically alone. Now it's more like a normal college, not a commuter college. Students going to and fro at all hours.

They've also followed the College Station model and blocked off some streets. Good move.

And for those who haven't been into Canyon, especially downtown in a while, you owe it to yourself to go. It's a different world, too.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

The cost of bringing Kimbrough Memorial Stadium up to program-of-requirements standard and addressing accessibility proved to be higher than a new on-campus stadium.

Yeah, I call bulls**t on that.
GSPag`
On a Friday or Saturday night during the Fall while enjoying a football game in cold Panhandle weather the temperature in the Buffalo Bowl would be 20 degrees colder.
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

I have mixed feelings on the stadium. Kimbrough is one of the most amazing small college stadiums around. I hate to see it get less use.

However, I understand. The game day atmosphere on campus is almost nil. This should really bring up the level of excitement.

Referring to the guy who couldn't believe the changes, I agree. They have made major strides in the time since we moved here in 1994. We used to walk and bike on campus. after dark and on weekends, we were practically alone. Now it's more like a normal college, not a commuter college. Students going to and fro at all hours.

They've also followed the College Station model and blocked off some streets. Good move.

And for those who haven't been into Canyon, especially downtown in a while, you owe it to yourself to go. It's a different world, too.
Having grown up in Canyon (and practically growing up on the campus of WTSU, and then getting my BS there before heading off to UT-Austin), I agree with every point you made. I used to ride my bike all over campus on weekends when I was a kid (1960s); there was little chance of my running over anyone because the campus was practically deserted.

I really like the idea of having a stadium within walking distance on campus. It will go very well with all the other changes they've made to the WT campus over the years. I like Kimbrough a lot, but the problem always remains that it's nearly 2 miles from campus.

OTOH, I have many fond memories of Kimbrough, dating back to the early 1960s. My dad was chairman of the music department at WTSU in the 1960s and then Dean of Fine Arts during the 1970s, and so of course during that time my parents attended (without exception!) every home game for WTSU for the sake of supporting the band (and with me in tow until I was in high school). I got to see some awesome football during Coach Kerbel years. And because Kimbrough was also the home field for good ol' Canyon High, I was often there on Friday nights to watch my older siblings march with the Eagle Band during the 1960s.

From the fall of 1974 through the autumn of 1976 I was marching there as a member of the Eagle Band. During the 1970s the UIL marching contest for our region was held at Kimbrough, and it was really nice to go to contest on what felt like our home turf.

Kimbrough is our home field. We make great music and win Division I ratings here.
~ The Eagle Band, 1976

Our first game during my time in the band was in 1974 against Lubbock Monterey, with its enormous Plainsmen Band. I think in those days they marched about 240, give or take a few. Enough people to spell out "M O N T E R E Y" in big block letters, in any case. With our 88 musicians, it was all we could do to spell out "C H S" (rah, rah). But we had a good vibe with the Monterey band. They later hosted a terrific post-game party for us down in Lubbock after a game at Lowry Field.

The memorable CHS game at Kimbrough during my Eagle Band experience was on Nov. 12, 1976, against Levelland. It was the last game of the season and would be the last marching show for those of us in the class of 1977. We were planning a big show, with members of the CJHS Symphonic Band joining us on the field (wearing the old hand-me-down uniforms that had previously belonged to the CHS band) to spell out "C A N Y O N" (rah! rah!) That was the plan, in any case. And then Mother Nature intervened by dropping about 6 inches of snow on us between kickoff and halftime. The halftime performances were cancelled out of safety concerns (and our instruments were freezing up, too), and we packed up and left. We seniors were, in a word, disconsolate. C'est la vie.

Fast forward to the fall of 1977, and I was marching at Kimbrough again, this time with the WTSU band (formerly known as the Buffalo Band, now renamed as "The Sound of West Texas"). That season also saw a major change in the band shows from the high-step showband style to a variant of corps style (kind of a hybrid between DCI and traditional college marching). It was very interesting in that everyone, freshmen and upperclassmen alike, was essentially starting from scratch with regard to learning the new style of marching and a different kind of show. Crazy at times, but lots of fun. I marched with The Sound for two seasons before hanging it up. A wonderful experience, but time-consuming and a little hard on my GPA.

I'm really glad that I didn't throw this album away, seeing as how vinyl and turntables are making a comeback.

During the 1977 marching season one of the feature twirlers accidentally set the field on fire when she dropped a flaming baton on the turf. It was during November and the turf had dried out by that time. (Sorry, no pics of that.) Some trainers and Herdsmen on the sidelines charged onto the field and smothered the fire with some towels and jerseys. It was hysterical. Fortunately, no injuries.
CanyonAg77
AG
Photos aren't coming in. I don't think you can post photos off your Google account
BrazosBendHorn
CanyonAg77 said:

Photos aren't coming in. I don't think you can post photos off your Google account
Thank you, kind sir, for bringing that to my attention. I think it's fixed now. (at least the images are showing up on my laptop. But then again, so were the images from Google photos). I'm getting old and I can't keep up with this modern technology ...
CanyonAg77
AG
I see them now
CanyonAg77
AG
Cruising Wikipedia, I found the answer to a question I've long had. Kimbrough Stadium in Canyon is named after the older brother of Aggie great John Kimbrough. It's named for Frank Kimbrough, who was head coach and AD at WT, after a disastrous run as coach at Baylor.

For which, we also thank him.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.