How bad an idea is moving Amarillo's firework show downtown?

2,675 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
Drawkcab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else think this is a horrible idea?

It will be successful in that a ton of people will go but it won't be the same crowd who would go see it at John Stiff Park. It won't be a family atmosphere anymore. I know I won't be taking my 4 year old to rub shoulders with a bunch of drunks crammed onto crowded downtown streets.

Not to mention the view of the fireworks will be terrible.
CanyonAg77
AG
It's an odd location, to be sure. The fireworks launch location will be in the middle of the downtown warehouse district. Looks like Elwood Park will be the nearest park. And the safety concerns about launching fireworks in the middle of town seem to be ignored.

The only good thing is it leaves the 4th open for smaller towns.

Fireworks location:

Google Maps
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Who needs city fireworks. I just sit in my backyard north of Canyon and get 360 degrees of constant fireworks for hours.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
They've got to work hard to sell the downtown renovation project!
CanyonAg77
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Who needs city fireworks. I just sit in my backyard north of Canyon and get 360 degrees of constant fireworks for hours.
Got a good field of wheat SW of Canyon. I dread the fireworks.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
We've just been here three years but I have been amazed at the volume of fireworks, and amazed there haven't been more fires.
Canyon99
Elwood Park is full of homeless folks. They will have to start clearing them out a few days before the event.
Dumbdumb
Actually the fireworks show at Lake Merideth last year was really good! Might try that vs the downtown show.
jtp01
AG
We went to Meredith last year and it was great. Very relaxed atmosphere and very kid friendly on the north side. We will go back this year.
topoftexasag
AG
Meredith was awesome last year. I was really impressed with the display and the atmosphere was extremely relaxed. Plenty of good vantage points. Plan on returning this year.
CDUB98
AG
What side of Meredith was the show on?

Might be a good one to take my daughter to her first show.
HSEAG13
Went to both shows this year and enjoyed both of them.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I don't see any need to leave my neighborhood. The hooligans that live around me must spend thousands in fireworks. Good thing I enjoy them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.