This should have been at WTA&M!!

46,420 Views | 297 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by CanyonAg77
Captain Pablo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, I don't see how it's "pulling it out of your backside" when you've been pursuing it for 40 years

Sharp thought he could just push Bob around, and Bob wasn't having it

Punched the bully in the nose is what he did
CanyonAg77
AG
Not sure if you're an idiot, or just want to ignore reality to post "gotchas".
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Not sure if you're an idiot, or just want to ignore reality to post "gotchas".

Oh geez, now the name calling starts

Game over. Sorry, no points this round, dude

Hope you have a great view of TTU School of Veterinary Medicine from your truck for the next 30 years

Now go punch some holes in walls or something
Flexbone
Captain Pablo said:

Flexbone said:

Captain Pablo said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I do not understand the glee from fellow Aggies over a waste of time and taxpayer money.

Because we don't think it's all that horrible, think it could
Be a good thing, and are not bothered by another vet school.

We think A&M's behavior at trying to thwart the effort is repugnant. It's none of A&M's business and is a product of nothing more than Aggies wanting to be the only game in town

And you don't know that it will be a waste, and even if it is, it's pretty small change. The outrage over taxpayer waste is disingenuous. There is more at work here

Aggies just need to shut up about it. It's not their dog in the fight. Another University having a vet school does not hurt A&M in the least, and if it does, that's A&Ms fault

Every single school with skin in the game does this whenever any professional school is proposed.

Yeah. I don't listen to them either

When we got a law school, I'm sure there was squawking. Who cares? We wanted a law school and got one

(And we damn sure didn't need more lawyers)

If you knew **** about it, you'd know that it didn't create more lawyers. It made it possible to have better ones than were previously being produced.

As usual, you talking out of your ass with zero knowledge.
Captain Pablo
AG
Flexbone said:

Captain Pablo said:

Flexbone said:

Captain Pablo said:

CanyonAg77 said:

I do not understand the glee from fellow Aggies over a waste of time and taxpayer money.

Because we don't think it's all that horrible, think it could
Be a good thing, and are not bothered by another vet school.

We think A&M's behavior at trying to thwart the effort is repugnant. It's none of A&M's business and is a product of nothing more than Aggies wanting to be the only game in town

And you don't know that it will be a waste, and even if it is, it's pretty small change. The outrage over taxpayer waste is disingenuous. There is more at work here

Aggies just need to shut up about it. It's not their dog in the fight. Another University having a vet school does not hurt A&M in the least, and if it does, that's A&Ms fault

Every single school with skin in the game does this whenever any professional school is proposed.

Yeah. I don't listen to them either

When we got a law school, I'm sure there was squawking. Who cares? We wanted a law school and got one

(And we damn sure didn't need more lawyers)

If you knew **** about it, you'd know that it didn't create more lawyers. It made it possible to have better ones than were previously being produced.

As usual, you talking out of your ass with zero knowledge.

It created more lawyers that could actually pass the bar

And that was not the point, beigler. It was tongue-in-cheek, as was the sentence directly above this paragraph

The point, yes, there has been squawking Every time a new professional school is created. A&M medical school, Texas Tech health science Center, Texas Tech law school, No doubt about it. I'm sure people of been pissing and moaning somewhere about the sips new Austin-based medical school. You are correct in that. I just don't care that people squawk. They are all still good things that serve state well

EDIT - TexAgs going haywire for some reason
Aggie1
AG
It seems to me the level of care (the Canadian model) is the equivalent of the level being taught at WT.
I don't understand why the citizens of Amarillo are not more supportive of WT and it's capabilities?
To follow WT has the space and resources to surpass anything presently being considered by TTech.
And, then for additional training at a real graduate level medical center they are sent to the tertiary Vet Center at College Station to get the "rest of the education and requirements" to become a fully servicing licensed Veterinarian - whose credentials will never be questioned anywhere in the world.

TTech seems to me to be wanting to focus on large animals before getting a full discipline load of what a "real" vet has to know to become licensed.

An analogy would be M.D.
To become a licensed MD the student has to make the rounds through all the specialties and later focus on a speciality. Only then as a resident can they focus on surgery or orthopedics or urology or internal etc.

Same for Attorneys. A full range of all types of cases must be studied before focusing - after passing his Boards - whatever area they want to focus in i.e. civil or criminal defense or prosecution etc.

Same for architects. After Boards and licensing an architect can focus on schools or healthcare or high rise etc but not before being exposed to all kinds of design projects.

Etc

It seems to me TTech wants to focus on cows and horses (?) and forget about the other nearly 300 species that is required for a real veterinarian.

In medicine those who don't go all the way become physician assistants or nurse practitioners or any one of specialties like optometry or physical therapy etc - good at what they do but not full fledged M.D.'s

I guess a graduate of this program TTech is advocating would br called a Veterinarian assistant or vet practitioner or some such but not a real Veterinarian in the strict sense of what it means to be able to service any living creature short of Homo sapiens...

It seems to me Those who flunk out of the programs at A&M or OSU or Kansas State etc would be in the same class as the proposed Canadian model TTech graduate... but NOT a "real" licensed Veterinarian.

If that's all anyone wants they can get that at the existing program at WT.
Captain Pablo
AG
This thing is 50-50 from what I'm hearing

Abbott geting worked by both sides 24/7
Aggie1
AG
The 86th Texas Legislature began on January 8, 2019, and concluded on May 27, 2019
Has anyone heard a final word on this issue from this session? Link??
Captain Pablo
AG
Aggie1 said:

The 86th Texas Legislature began on January 8, 2019, and concluded on May 27, 2019
Has anyone heard a final word on this issue from this session? Link??

All eyes on Abbott

His timeline:
"The governor must sign or veto legislation within 10 days of transmittal (excluding Sunday), or it becomes law without his/her signature. For legislation transmitted with less than 10 days left in the session, the governor has 20 days after adjournment to act, or the legislation becomes law without being signed"

http://statescape.com/resources/legislative/bill-signing-deadlines.aspx

I'm still hearing about 60-40 in favor of it becoming law, but Sharp is apparently working Abbott like his life depends on it

We'll see ....
Aggie1
AG
https://news.vin.com/VINNews.aspx?articleId=53713
Captain Pablo
Captain Pablo
AG
Yeah, Abbott is gonna have a hard time killing this given his past public support

Of note, looks like there is already over $100 million in state, local, and private funding in place

So much for the "you can't build a vet school with $17 million"

Looks like the first class will start school in 2 years

Good for them.
CanyonAg77
AG
Still no approval from HECB.
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Still no approval from HECB.

True

No idea which way that will go
Captain Pablo
AG
https://www.feedstuffs.com/news/texas-tech-updates-vet-school-progress
Aggie1
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/news/20190617/ttu-lauds-vet-school-funding-initiative?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GHM_Daily_Newsletter&utm_content=GMPG_AGN&utm_term=061819

TTU lauds vet school funding initiative

Quote:

Quote:
Texas Tech University officials are lauding the state's appropriation of operational funding for the School of Veterinary Medicine, clearing the way for the first such venue in more than a century.
Officials said the biennial state budget signed into law by Gov. Greg Abbott on Saturday included $17.35 million earmarked to get the school up and running, noting language directs the university to use funds to initiate curriculum design and development, faculty recruitment and other processes necessary to attain accreditation of the program.

...as a means of minimizing student debt, officials said the model eliminates the need for a costly teaching hospital, placing veterinary students in cooperative rural practices to provide clinical learning through collaboration.

The School of Veterinary Medicine anticipates opening in the fall of 2021, officials said, and will enroll a target class size of 60 students.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
At one time there was language in the bill that tied the funding to coordinating board approval. I'm not sure if that remained in the final bill. Thats the last string keeping this from happening.

I've been the one saying all along that coordinating board approval was unlikely, but things have changed a bit from my perspective.

The commissioner has announced he is stepping down. He won't have the political power to stop this, and a new commissioner likely won't have the guts to alienate the people who are invested in this project and to take the blame for wasting the money already sunk. Not a fun way to start your tenure.

I think you can all welcome a second rate vet school to Amarillo, and you can look forward to the Texas A&M vet school decline in prestige as resources are sucked away.

Also, while they keep touting the model as cost savings for students, the truth is that this model exists in other places, and those student debt loads lead the nation. The cost savings will benefit Texas Tech, who won't have to operate an animal hospital, but it is unlikely to save the students any money.

Thank you, Texas Tech, for ruining vet education in Texas.
Captain Pablo
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

At one time there was language in the bill that tied the funding to coordinating board approval. I'm not sure if that remained in the final bill. Thats the last string keeping this from happening.

I've been the one saying all along that coordinating board approval was unlikely, but things have changed a bit from my perspective.

The commissioner has announced he is stepping down. He won't have the political power to stop this, and a new commissioner likely won't have the guts to alienate the people who are invested in this project and to take the blame for wasting the money already sunk. Not a fun way to start your tenure.

I think you can all welcome a second rate vet school to Amarillo, and you can look forward to the Texas A&M vet school decline in prestige as resources are sucked away.

Also, while they keep touting the model as cost savings for students, the truth is that this model exists in other places, and those student debt loads lead the nation. The cost savings will benefit Texas Tech, who won't have to operate an animal hospital, but it is unlikely to save the students any money.

Thank you, Texas Tech, for ruining vet education in Texas.
Captain Pablo
AG
Lol. Dramatic much?

Are you a vet? I'm not

But I have talked to MANY Aggie vets and they are UNANIMOUSLY in favor of this vet school

Why? A&M is not taking care of Texas. A&M is admitting tons of foreign and out of state students because they can charge more. And these people don't stay in Texas. A&M is admitting tons of women who have no desire to care for large animals

These Aggie vets say a chronic shortage of vets is looming in many parts of the state, and A&M, getting too big for its britches and chasing money, is not taking care of it

The notion that little ol' tech, and it's little vet school, is to blame for the ruination is vet educatiin in Texas is gut busting laughable

A&M has only itself to blame
Bucketrunner
Who in their right mind would trust their animals to a vet trained at tech?
Broba Fett
Plenty of men apply to vet school at A&M but the classes are nearly entirely women anyways with many from out of state. A&M is too woke and too greedy.
Cholula Verde
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Who in their right mind would trust their animals to a vet trained at tech?
Bucket, have you been whiffing your own Fairy Dust again? True story....... not all the Vets "trained" at TAMU pass the State Boards and get their license. I know one who failed the state boards multiple times. No more "practicing" for that one!
Bucketrunner
And I know 3 tech grads who could never cut it here even after re- taking some undergraduate courses here because the same class st tech was so mickey mouse
Aggie1
AG
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/2019/06/21/tech-vet-school-could-create-ripples-even-abilene/1526161001/

Tech chancellor: Vet school could create ripples even in Abilene

Quote:

"One of the things that we will be exploring over time is so when you come in as a vet student, and we're looking to get the spectrum of your training, including companion animals, one of the untapped resources for training is the shelters," Mitchell said. "And so we're looking at the various cities in West Texas. Could you have somebody that is a third-year vet student in Amarillo, then do rotations in Abilene and work at the animal shelter?"

Tech wanted to "just to tell our story," Mitchell said, a narrative designed to make sure those entities and individuals understood "what the needs were, not just out here in West Texas" but for rural Texas in general.

Tech was careful, he said, to cast any perceived disparagement on other existing programs, praising the "blessings" the existing programs bring.
Aggie1
AG
https://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2019/06/26/reparations-for-slavery-n2548853?utm_source=thdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&newsletterad=06/26/2019&bcid=f87a7911520e3c5edf621f146086b146&recip=5340403

Texas Tech moves forward with design phase for Amarillo vet school

Quote:

The Texas Tech Board of Regents voted to spend nearly $7 million for "Design Professional Stage 2" services for Tech's planned School of Veterinary Medicine facilities.
Services approved Tuesday consist of the design development, construction documents, construction administration phases and information related to the probable cost and project schedule.
Regents met via telephone conference call Tuesday afternoon to approve the services for professional design. This was the only item on the agenda, so the meeting lasted less than 15 minutes.
The Tech regents also named the two academic sites. The main campus facility is named the School of Veterinary Medicine Amarillo Campus, and the second site where the hands-on education will take place with animals is called School of Veterinary Medicine Mariposa Station.
"I think we all ought to stop and be very thankful, this is a historic moment for Texas Tech University," Chairman Christopher Huckabee said before the regents adjourned. "We owe thanks to a lot of people who've helped and a lot of people who will continue to be generous in helping us see this through. Thanks to everybody who's made this come to this point."
The School of Veterinary Medicine Amarillo Campus will be located on Tech's already existing University Health Sciences Center at Amarillo campus, according to a presentation from Billy Breedlove, vice chancellor of facilities planning and construction. Early designs for the new facility show a two-story, 185,000 square-foot building. The first floor will feature classrooms, surgery suites, and anatomy and pathology studios. The second floor will be mostly for research-related activity.

The second location, called the Mariposa Station, will be off Amarillo's Loop 335 about 2.5 miles away from the general campus. This site will serve much of the animal needs. It's located on about nine acres of land most of it will be open. It will feature a stock yard, hay barn and a facility for clinical skills training. The buildings will mainly be made of metal, said Breedlove. The buildings will be featured on a nine-acre site, but the entire land for the Mariposa Station, including the pasture, will be about 140 acres.
The bulk of what regents approved Tuesday, $6 million of the nearly $7 million, is for professional services related to architecture and engineering services. Kirksey Architecture, a firm based in Houston, will perform all the design services for the city. A total of about $8.4 million has been approved by the board for design professional services.
The entire vet school project is expected to cost about $90 million. The Amarillo Economic Development Corp. pledged as much as $69 million toward completion of the $90 million project last year, which was key in helping the project get off the ground. The $17 million approved by the state legislature this past session - seen as a major step in creating what will be a second vet school in the state - will be used mainly for curriculum and overall development, and hiring faculty.
The School of Veterinary Medicine anticipates opening in the fall of 2021, officials said, and will enroll a target class size of 60 students. The four-year school of veterinary medicine expects to enroll a total of 240 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine students, with a faculty and staff size of about 90 people.

CanyonAg77
AG
https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/expanding-veterinary-education-research-at-wt
Quote:

CANYON, Texas (KVII) A program fairly new to the Texas Panhandle aimed at filling a void of veterinarians in rural communities is on track despite weather related delays. A $90 million investment by Texas A&M University is impacting the Ag Industry and West Texas A&M University.

"We are training rural practitioners to serve the need of the Panhandle and South Plains," said Dr. Dan Posey, VERO academic coordinator. "There's no place in this world that you'll have this much learning and research power associated with it."

When completed a 22,000 plus square foot (VERO) Veterinary Education Research Outreach center and a diagnostic lab will help recruit students from all over the country who are interested in pursuing a career in vet sciences....

A shortage of veterinarians in rural communities will hopefully decrease as Texas A&M's $90 million investment in the future of large animal health takes shape. Both the (VERO) and the diagnostic lab are scheduled to open in the fall of 2020.

Video of new facility already being built. at link. Sorry. TTech. Too little, too late.
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/expanding-veterinary-education-research-at-wt
Quote:

CANYON, Texas (KVII) A program fairly new to the Texas Panhandle aimed at filling a void of veterinarians in rural communities is on track despite weather related delays. A $90 million investment by Texas A&M University is impacting the Ag Industry and West Texas A&M University.

"We are training rural practitioners to serve the need of the Panhandle and South Plains," said Dr. Dan Posey, VERO academic coordinator. "There's no place in this world that you'll have this much learning and research power associated with it."

When completed a 22,000 plus square foot (VERO) Veterinary Education Research Outreach center and a diagnostic lab will help recruit students from all over the country who are interested in pursuing a career in vet sciences....

A shortage of veterinarians in rural communities will hopefully decrease as Texas A&M's $90 million investment in the future of large animal health takes shape. Both the (VERO) and the diagnostic lab are scheduled to open in the fall of 2020.

Video of new facility already being built. at link. Sorry. TTech. Too little, too late.

Well, if Texas Tech does end up getting a vet school, I would say it is Texas A&M that is too little, too late

If A&M would've taken care of business when it needed to, this would not be an issue
CanyonAg77
AG
Are you not aware that A&M had already planned for and budgeted for the expansion into WT? Then John Sharp called the TT Chancellor, as a courtesy, to let him know what we were doing in his backyard. The next day, the TT chancellor announced their "plans" for a vet school. Really anal orifice move.

A&M is erecting steel as we speak for the building on the WT campus. Meanwhile, TT is still waiting on approval from the HECB,
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Are you not aware that A&M had already planned for and budgeted for the expansion into WT? Then John Sharp called the TT Chancellor, as a courtesy, to let him know what we were doing in his backyard. The next day, the TT chancellor announced their "plans" for a vet school. Really anal orifice move.

A&M is erecting steel as we speak for the building on the WT campus. Meanwhile, TT is still waiting on approval from the HECB,

Texas Tech has wanted a vet school for a long time. This is not a new idea

And A&M's neglect goes back years, if not decades. They have not taken care of large areas of the state of Texas.

It's not just the South Plains and Panhandle
CanyonAg77
AG
You're living in a fairy tale world if you think TT grads are going to stay in the Panhandle/South Plains for starvation wages.
Captain Pablo
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

You're living in a fairy tale world if you think TT grads are going to stay in the Panhandle/South Plains for starvation wages.
They are needed all over the state

You are living in a fairy tale world if you think A&M is serving the State like it should be

Aggie1
AG
https://www.amarillo.com/news/20190808/texas-tech-moving-forward-with-academic-planning-for-veterinary-school/1?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GHM_Daily_Newsletter&utm_content=GMPG_AGN&utm_term=080919

Texas Tech moving forward with academic planning for veterinary school

Quote:

The Texas Tech Board of Regents is hiring a consultant to help with the academic planning and development of the Texas Tech School of Veterinary Medicine in Amarillo.
Regents met Thursday, and although action wasn't taken, the board discussed the plans for the vet school..
The Board of Regents will consider a contract with Alastair Cribb, former dean of the University of Calgary Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and current dean of the School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University, for consulting services at the vet school. Cribb, according to Tech, has worked with faculty and staff to develop the administrative and academic model necessary for accreditation.
"He's been instrumental in helping us form the academic designs, the building designs, working with our stakeholders, he's been really important to us as we develop this program," said Guy Loneragan, dean of the veterinary school. "When the accreditors come back in May next year, they want to see our syllabi, they want to see our course content. We really want to demonstrate we're ready to start delivering that curriculum, and we'll be ready to do that."
The School of Veterinary Medicine anticipates opening in the fall of 2021, officials said, and will enroll a target class size of 60 students. The four-year school of veterinary medicine expects to enroll a total of 240 Doctor of Veterinary Medicine students, with a faculty and staff size of about 90 people.
Earlier this summer, the Tech Board of Regents voted to spend nearly $7 million for "Design Professional Stage 2" services for Tech's planned School of Veterinary Medicine facilities. Those services consist of the design development, construction documents, construction administration phases and information related to the probable cost and project schedule.
Cholula Verde
AG
Aggie1 said:

Jhttps://www.mrt.com/opinion/article/Texas-does-not-need-another-veterinary-school-13661305.php

Texas does not need another veterinary school
Eleanor Green Texas A&M University
Updated 10:54 am CST, Monday, March 4, 2019

Quote:

A Texas Tech veterinary school is not needed and would be a duplication of effort and a waste of money all at the expense of the quality.
Let's look at the facts. The Texas A&M University System has invested $90 million in the Panhandle, with more to come, all in support of veterinary medicine, the livestock industries, local youth pursuing veterinary careers, and the region's economic development.

A&M just broke ground on a $22 million, Veterinary Education, Research, and Outreach Facility (VERO) on the West Texas A&M campus, just 17 miles south of where Tech wants to locate its school.
Related Stories
    M Chancellor Sharp said Tech vet school is not needed
And in 2016, A&M opened a $125 million teaching facility in College Station with enough capacity to increase enrollment by at least the equivalent of Texas Tech's proposed school.

To justify its cause, TTU cites a 48-year-old report of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB). Perhaps they don't want to be reminded of what THECB's 2016 report concluded:
"The high cost of establishing a new veterinary school would outweigh the potential benefits to the state, given the small to moderate workforce demand and the issue that building a new school would not guarantee that any of the graduates would practice on livestock, which is the state's principal area of need "
Maybe that conclusion is why TTU chose to bypass the THECB and go straight to the Legislature.
TTU also chooses to overlook the 2016 report's finding that A&M graduates "make up about 60 percent of the state's veterinary workforce" not the 25 percent cited by TTU.

Once Texas A&M's new teaching facility opened in 2016, Aggies began increasing class size. Today, A&M has the largest entering class in the nation with 162 students.
A&M boasts the largest number of food animal, rural, and mixed animal veterinarians in the nation, with 33 percent of the 2017 class and 40 percent of the 2018 class choosing these paths.
Simply increasing class size does not guarantee more rural and food animal veterinarians. That's why A&M and WTAMU began a targeted pipeline program that already has doubled the number of Panhandle-area students entering A&M's veterinary college. Their numbers will increase with the A&M System's ongoing investment in the Panhandle.
The pipeline program is a model for statewide implementation. It can be ramped up and down, as needed. Agreements with three other A&M System schools will expand that pipeline into other rural areas.
TTU's proposed veterinary school is neither innovative, nor cost efficient, and duplicates A&M's efforts. It proposes a distributed model of veterinary education, a model created by off-shore, for-profit universities without access to clinical training.
TTU uses a Canadian veterinary school, Calgary, as its "affordable" model. This comparison is flawed. Calgary is heavily government subsidized. Distributed models are the most expensive models resulting in the highest student debt.
Conversely, A&M, which is ranked fourth in the nation, is one of the most affordable veterinary colleges with student debt that is the second-lowest in the nation.
TTU claims a teaching hospital is not needed. In fact, teaching hospitals provide students opportunities to work alongside some of the best veterinarians. They learn not only what is practical, but also what is possible with the latest, state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment methods.
TTU's estimated costs for a veterinary school are misrepresented. A&M has invested nearly $400 million for veterinary facilities and infrastructure since 2009. The costs are ongoing. TTU's request for state funds is a fraction of the support they will request over time.
Based on Texas A&M's quality, wouldn't it more effective and more cost efficient to invest more in A&M than to build an new veterinary school?
A&M can clearly meet all of the veterinary needs in Texas.

Oh my, August rolls around and the TAMU Vet School Dean is standing outside classrooms telling the TAMU Vet School students she is leaving TAMU. Interesting turn of events.....
CanyonAg77
AG
So a person in their late 60s who has been Dean for 10 years is retiring (according to you, haven't seen it published)

How does that change anything?

And thanks for wasting space unnecessarily quoting her whole article.
Cholula Verde
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

So a person in their late 60s who has been Dean for 10 years is retiring (according to you, haven't seen it published)

How does that change anything?

And thanks for wasting space unnecessarily quoting her whole article.
LOL...you are welcome Canyon! BTW she sent a letter out to her faculty and VS staff notifying everyone about her new life journey two weeks ago....and it doesn't look like she is retiring or, as most administrators say.....going back to her first love of teaching!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.