Houston
Sponsored by

Whitaker gets Death Sentence

5,406 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Al Bula
jja79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I assume they'll be thinning out DR soon. There was no doubt about his motive or his guilt. I cant really think of a circumstance that deserved death more than this.
txaggie02
AG
I graduated high school with Bart back in 1998. Was completely stunned when he committed the murders. No doubt that he should have been executed tonight. No person that carries out an elaborate, premeditated plan of murdering their family should be allowed to live. Don't care what his dad says. Hell, in a perfect world, he should have been executed the day after he was brought back from Mexico.
Waltonloads08
AG
Tom Hagen said:

BMX Bandit said:

due to be executed tonight, unless Gov. Abbott gives clemency, which has been recommended by the parole board
It would be bad optics if the Abbott grants him clemency. Q10 would be on the news claiming it is because he is a white boy from the suburbs (and he would be right for once).

Agree.

Abbott hates the queers and weed but murder? OK if you pretend to feel bad about it later. I doubt he actually feels bad, as he's likely a psychopath.

92Ag95
AG
The dude went and ate dinner (broke bread) with his family knowing full well what was waiting for them when they arrived back home. If the plot had been successful he would have carried on with his life without a fn' care in the world. No reason in the world for a defective human being like that to continue living.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Sugar Creek>Sugar Lakes you dinguses
Aggie09Derek
AG
GoAgs92 said:

Sugar_Land_Wes said:

Seemed very normal - lived in Sugar Creek

I hung out with him often back in the Little League days, not so much after that
Buddy of mine played LL with him too....weird.

Really makes you think...
Al Bula
AG
Haven't the injuns run all the pale faces out of SL?
sts7049
AG
what the hell is abbott doing? why would he pardon this scum?
Furlock Bones
AG
sts7049 said:

Quote:

The seven-member Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, whose members are appointed by the governor, recommended unanimously Tuesday that Abbott commute the sentence. Abbott, a Republican had the option of accepting the recommendation, rejecting it or doing nothing.
"Mr. Whitaker's father, who survived the attempt on his life, passionately opposes the execution of his son. Mr. Whitaker's father insists that he would be victimized again if the state put to death his last remaining immediate family member," Abbott said in a proclamation issued Thursday evening, adding that Whitaker had also agreed to waive all further rights to parole.

Abbott, also citing the parole board's recommendation, added: "The totality of these factors warrants a commutation of Mr. Whitaker's death sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole."
It was only the fourth time since the state resumed executions in 1982 that the parole board has recommended clemency within days of an inmate's scheduled execution. In the previous cases, then-Gov. Rick Perry, also a Republican, accepted the board's decision in one case and rejected the other two, who subsequently were put to death in the nation's most active capital punishment state.
this one is not on Abbott. he allowed the people doing their job to do their job.

he didn't pardon him either. his sentenced was commuted to life in prison.
03_Aggie
No, no, no...pitchforks, torches and things surburban white people get away with.
digging tunnels
AG
I guess I'm torn about this situation. The father goes to my church and he's told me his story to me, my Bible study, and the whole church as well as nationally. He truly has forgiven his son for what he has done. At the time I learned of this 2 years ago, he visited his son in prison once a week and he became closer to his son. I don't blame him for not wanting his son executed. Glad he got his wish.

Since the only victims involved him and his family, I guess I'm ok with the clemency. No other family is affected or suffering. Well maybe the wife's side of family is. Normally I'd be ok with 100% for execution but I guess this is a unique case with the people involved
94chem
Wow. The governor listened to the board that was doing its job and the father of the killer, who didn't want to lose his last family member. Can't believe he didn't listen to a bunch of hacks on a message board.

This was a lose-lose situation for everyone. Let it be.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
sts7049
AG
pardon was the wrong word. my mistake.

abbott still ultimately made the call. i understand the father may have forgiven his son, but i'm sure lots of parents would say the same thing about their children who commit murder, whether it be against them personally or someone else. the guy doesn't deserve to live because of the act he committed.
FarmerJohn
AG
The juror they interviewed brought up a good point. This guy didn't pull the trigger, he arranged the whole thing. Being able to orchestrate something like this is a clear example of someone continuing to be a danger to society. I get the father not wanting his son executed, but the way our justice system works is that the state takes responsibility for determining guilt and administrating justice. This means you can't become a vigilante and it also means you don't get to pardon people. Now I'm glad the father's opinion was heard but I hope the end reason hinges on something more than that.
Ragoo
AG
i am all for the death penalty, what I am against is it taking 15 years to get to this point and then changing the initial sentence to life in prison at the 11th hour.
jja79
AG
If not for his manipulative, killer son he'd probably still have all his family members and maybe some grand kids by now.
94chem
And if my aunt...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Al Bula
AG
Pretty sure this f ckstick answered "Here" for his murdered brother Kevin at campus muster after all this went down.
NoahAg
The guy's dad wanted him spared from execution. That (and the deciding board) should weigh much more than what anyone here thinks.
Liquid Wrench
The parole board? Sure. It does, in fact, matter more than online comments.

What the inmate's father wants? No. Not ever.

It's great if you can forgive someone in your heart, but that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the administration of justice.
03_Aggie
ChiliBeans said:

It's great if you can forgive someone in your heart, but that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the administration of justice.

Except the father was the only surviving victim. The victim's feelings very often play a part in the administration of justice.

Liquid Wrench

Quote:

The victim's feelings very often play a part in the administration of justice.
Not when they're dead. And two people are.

The parent of a murderer shouldn't have a role in determining his fate. I don't care if he was a good boy who never did nuthin else.
RK
AG
ChiliBeans said:

Exactly. Would be a crazy world if the victim had a say in the punishement of the accused. In both directions.
BohunkAg
AG
ChiliBeans said:

I don't know if I can trust some of the dipsh-t judges and juries we have to mete out effective justice any more than I can the victim's families. I think you absolutely have to weigh the feelings of the sole surviving victim here....especially when the decision is death or life without parole. It's not like he's ever getting out. The death penalty is a lot trickier of a proposition than most people care to recognize.
schmellba99
AG
Furlock Bones said:

sts7049 said:

Quote:

The seven-member Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles, whose members are appointed by the governor, recommended unanimously Tuesday that Abbott commute the sentence. Abbott, a Republican had the option of accepting the recommendation, rejecting it or doing nothing.
"Mr. Whitaker's father, who survived the attempt on his life, passionately opposes the execution of his son. Mr. Whitaker's father insists that he would be victimized again if the state put to death his last remaining immediate family member," Abbott said in a proclamation issued Thursday evening, adding that Whitaker had also agreed to waive all further rights to parole.

Abbott, also citing the parole board's recommendation, added: "The totality of these factors warrants a commutation of Mr. Whitaker's death sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole."
It was only the fourth time since the state resumed executions in 1982 that the parole board has recommended clemency within days of an inmate's scheduled execution. In the previous cases, then-Gov. Rick Perry, also a Republican, accepted the board's decision in one case and rejected the other two, who subsequently were put to death in the nation's most active capital punishment state.
this one is not on Abbott. he allowed the people doing their job to do their job.

he didn't pardon him either. his sentenced was commuted to life in prison.

What about the jury that convicted this dude and laid out the punishment? He went against the jury and the people as a result.

I know nothing about this case other than what was stated on this thread. Dude should be taken out back, two .22 rounds pumped into his brain stem and his body dumped into the marsh for crabs to feed on.

terradactylexpress
"sole surviving victim"

Other victims of this crime:

The wife's family
Any cousins, grandparents, uncles who no longer can see their family
Those kids best friends who had to learn a harsh life lesson way too early
Etc etc

By no means was the dad the only one impacted
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Art. 21.02. REQUISITES OF AN INDICTMENT. An indictment shall be deemed sufficient if it has the following requisites:
1. It shall commence, "In the name and by authority of The State of Texas".
2. It must appear that the same was presented in the district court of the county where the grand jury is in session.
3. It must appear to be the act of a grand jury of the proper county.
4. It must contain the name of the accused, or state that his name is unknown and give a reasonably accurate description of him.
5. It must show that the place where the offense was committed is within the jurisdiction of the court in which the indictment is presented.
6. The time mentioned must be some date anterior to the presentment of the indictment, and not so remote that the prosecution of the offense is barred by limitation.
7. The offense must be set forth in plain and intelligible words.
8. The indictment must conclude, "Against the peace and dignity of the State".
9. It shall be signed officially by the foreman of the grand jury.

Acts 1965, 59th Leg., p. 317, ch. 722, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1966.

Technically, society as a whole is the victim of the crime. Not just the survivor.
Hwy30East
This case is on 20/20 right now on ABC.
jja79
AG
He told the interviewer the fatal attack was his 3rd plot to kill his family.

2 years prior Waco police alerted Sugar Land police to a plot to kill the family. He was at Baylor at the time.

While he was on the run in Mexico he tried to hire someone to finish off his dad.

His GF in Mexico had family issues so he suggested they get someone to kill them.

The night of the attack the family was celebrating his graduation from Sam. Dad said in the interview he was going to start grad school.

In fact he was a freshman on academic probation. How does dad not know this?

Who did he manipulate more at the end? Abbott or dad?
bularry
jja79 said:

He told the interviewer the fatal attack was his 3rd plot to kill his family.

2 years prior Waco police alerted Sugar Land police to a plot to kill the family. He was at Baylor at the time.

While he was on the run in Mexico he tried to hire someone to finish off his dad.

His GF in Mexico had family issues so he suggested they get someone to kill them.

The night of the attack the family was celebrating his graduation from Sam. Dad said in the interview he was going to start grad school.

In fact he was a freshman on academic probation. How does dad not know this?

Who did he manipulate more at the end? Abbott or dad?
you think this was some 18 year long-game to manipulate his dad?

you might be brain damaged.
Al Bula
AG
bularry said:

you think this was some 18 year long-game to manipulate his dad?

you might be brain damaged.
i think it is highly likely that a smart dude on death row played everyone including his dad to avoid getting the needle.

Like Red said, "in prison a man will do most anything to keep his mind occupied."

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.