Houston
Sponsored by

Com' on man

3,264 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cone
Cibalo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A bitcoin mining company is going to build a new site in West Texas. They will need 205MW of power and will be connected to the ECROT grid.

https://www.datacenterdynamics.com/en/news/hut-8-secures-land-and-power-for-205mw-data-center-in-west-texas/

I thought we didn't have the infrastructure to support the current residents and had to do rolling black out and brown outs when it gets too hot or too cold?
CDUB98
AG
**** that ***** They need to build their own co-gen unit.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I'm 100% for deenergizing any bitcoin "mining" operation.

Or charge them 1000% the going rate.
lancevance
Bitcoin is the future and I am glad a texas company is investing innit. Texas needs more hitech business investment.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
CDUB98 said:

Admittedly I don't know much about bitcoin mining, but why would they need steam?
ktownag08
AG
Many are set up as CLRs (controllable load resources) meaning they're using excess energy directly normal grid operations which is most of the time and during periods of high load they curtail to backup power sources.
CDUB98
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

CDUB98 said:

Admittedly I don't know much about bitcoin mining, but why would they need steam?

Steam turns turbines connected to generators that create electricity.
Diggity
AG
or they sell back the power back to the grid at exorbitant prices.

BTC is an interesting play but it's a complete waste of resources.
Zobel
AG
It's counter intuitive but stuff like this helps the grid and consumers. Their operations can turn on and off based on the price of electricity so they add demand in off peak hours and can turn off in peak hours. The minimum demand on the grid overnight is something like 2/3 of peak. if we had more load that could operate like this it would reduce the average price of power.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
CDUB98 said:

Milwaukees Best Light said:

CDUB98 said:

Steam turns turbines connected to generators that create electricity.

Cogen is creating electricity and steam. If all they need is electricity, seems a little excessive to create extra steam.
Sorry. I just realized I am dorking out on this. I get your point, but your specifics are probably off.
CDUB98
AG
Agree my specifics are off. I was firing off a post and just simplified.

You're right, they only need enough for them. Basic premise is simply to power themselves and not suck off our grid that already struggles.

If the economics aren't there for it, then **** off and go suck the teet of another state.
Zobel
AG
How are they sucking the teat? They're buying electricity same as anyone else.
CDUB98
AG
Zobel said:

I guess I need to put my engineer hat on and stop being sarcastic.

No, not welfare sucking teet, just taking what little reserve capacity is available, which on bad days in August goes to almost zero.

They're a gigantic energy suck, and, to me, they should not be adding giant loads to an already problematic grid. I feel the same way about AI computing centers.

Now, the reason the grid is problematic is a whole other discussion.
Zobel
AG
Ah I see. But I think they actually do the opposite. They are usually buying wholesale at those volumes so they have exposure to price swings. They will not be buying power at peak time, but will be buying overnight. At least the business plans I've seen for similar setups run this way. And that helps the grid - we have excess base capacity, so more off-peak utilization decreases average pricing.
CDUB98
AG
Zobel said:

Ah I see. But I think they actually do the opposite. They are usually buying wholesale at those volumes so they have exposure to price swings. They will not be buying power at peak time, but will be buying overnight. At least the business plans I've seen for similar setups run this way. And that helps the grid - we have excess base capacity, so more off-peak utilization decreases average pricing.

I don't disagree except to question whether they are only running at off hours. I don't trust them.
Zobel
AG
I guess, but if they want to pay $9k per MWh to mine bitcoin they won't be in business for long. Problem solved!
CDUB98
AG
Zobel said:

I guess, but if they want to pay $9k per MWh to mine bitcoin they won't be in business for long. Problem solved!

Well, if they're paying market rate we know they're not at that rate.
98Ag99Grad
AG
C'mon not com"on
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I'm just a com' on man, I drive a com' on van, my dog ain't go no pet it gree.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Nice. Haven't thought of that song in forever
Pahdz
Jugstore Cowboy said:

I'm just a com' on man, I drive a com' on van, my dog ain't go no pet it gree.
Dr. Venkman
AG
Zobel said:

I know of one project that they are located behind the generator meter. Meaning they buying at wholesale prices.
maroon barchetta
CDUB98 said:

Zobel said:

Well, if they're paying market rate we know they're not at that rate.

They can be during a 4CP event.
Bondag
AG
https://today.tamu.edu/2023/05/22/texas-am-team-studying-effects-of-crypto-mining-on-the-texas-power-grid/

https://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2022/03/etid-how-two-former-students-started-mining-bitcoin-fueled-by-flared-natural-gas.html

Quote:

Two Texas A&M University former students found a way to mine $4 million worth of Bitcoin using flared gas, a byproduct of oil and gas production, a combination of two industries one wouldn't normally think to pair together.
Goodest Poster
AG
Bondag said:

https://today.tamu.edu/2023/05/22/texas-am-team-studying-effects-of-crypto-mining-on-the-texas-power-grid/

https://engineering.tamu.edu/news/2022/03/etid-how-two-former-students-started-mining-bitcoin-fueled-by-flared-natural-gas.html

Quote:

Two Texas A&M University former students found a way to mine $4 million worth of Bitcoin using flared gas, a byproduct of oil and gas production, a combination of two industries one wouldn't normally think to pair together.

That's funny...we were doing this in PA several years before these guys. Guaranteed I wasnt the one to come up with the idea either. Funny how people get credited stuff. Edison/Tesla debate ensues...
Always the most goodest
cone
AG
a ridiculous waste of energy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.