Houston
Sponsored by

Home generator thread

38,178 Views | 443 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Diggity
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mods - feel free to delete or move, but as the outage gets longer, I'm seeing so many posts and questions about various generator options on other threads. The info just gets lost among all the other chatter.

I think having this one that people can save and refer to will be very helpful. They can ask questions and get help. Maybe names and numbers of plumbers and electricians. Putting it in the HOU board because we seem to be cursed, but it could be in home improvement, too.
Bogey1996
I was curious if anyone has used or heard about the solar powered generators (battery backup) like EcoFlow, Anker, Bulleti, etc either to power some stuff like wifi, fridge, fans or as whole home backup.
Z100
AG
there is a thread on outdoors board regarding solar backup power.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
There is a thread on the outdoor board right now regarding this. Ask the op of that thread. Really helpful guy.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Bogey1996 said:

I was curious if anyone has used or heard about the solar powered generators (battery backup) like EcoFlow, Anker, Bulleti, etc either to power some stuff like wifi, fridge, fans or as whole home backup.

I live in an apartment so a gas generator isn't really an option for me. I've been using a 4Patriot battery pack that my parents loaned me. It's been doing well powering an oscillating fan, CPAP, lamp, and phone charger. I like it bc you can see how much anything you plug in will affect battery life and manage accordingly. When it gets low, my parents have a natural gas generator they I can use to fully charge it in a couple of hours.

After this is over, I'm seriously considering an Anker Solix with solar panels. They make two models with a handle and wheels and that's what I'll buy.
Ag_07
AG
I have serious doubts about whether the nat gas supply and infrastructure will be able to handle the insane increase of all these whole home generators.
Gus88
AG
I have a question regarding the reliability of a whole house generator. It seems to me these should be items that do not fail. You spend a lot of money for something you will probably only need a handful of days in your lifetime - so if it does not work that seems to be a bit of an issue.

Is unreliability a thing?

My mom put one in after my father ('61) passed away. This was the first time she needed. She purchased from the Generator Supercenter in Tomball, and had a service contract. It kicked on, but the tranfer to the house did not happen. She could not get a hold of the Generator Supercenter. Apparently they were inundated with calls - suggesting to me that these things are not working left and right.

She finally got someone out today. Dead battery and lose wire. Seems sort of fragile.

Any experiences?
htxag09
AG
Generators.....reliable....lol
James Forsyth
Gus88 said:

I have a question regarding the reliability of a whole house generator. It seems to me these should be items that do not fail. You spend a lot of money for something you will probably only need a handful of days in your lifetime - so if it does not work that seems to be a bit of an issue.

My mom put one in after my father ('61) passed away. This was the first time she needed. She purchased from the Generator Supercenter in Tomball, and had a service contract. It kicked on, but the tranfer to the house did not happen. She could not get a hold of the Generator Supercenter. Apparently they were inundated with calls - suggesting to me that these things are not working left and right.

She finally got someone out today. Dead battery and lose wire. Seems sort of fragile.

Any experiences?
My sister's whole-house-generator just conked out (technical term). They pay for the monthly servicing, etc.
KALALL
AG
If you live in the sticks and have a tractor get a PTO mounted generator. Mine has come in handy multiple times since the big freeze and it doesn't have a small engine to maintain.
Southpaw 07
AG
drumboy
AG
This looks like a great deal, I picked up a barely used one 2 weeks ago and it's been power my house w/ variable AC since Monday morning. It's an open frame inverter, so still have clean, efficient power, not quite as loud as a traditional, but much less than a closed frame inverter.

https://slickdeals.net/f/17610372-prime-members-champion-power-equipment-8750w-open-frame-inverter-electric-start-generator-w-quiet-technology-100520-780-70-free-shipping
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
drumboy
AG
Gus88 said:

Any experiences?
Generacs are the standard, but I'd look at Briggs & Kohler too. I've heard Generacs called 'Chinese junk' but that was possibly someone invested in another brand.

If only a company put a Honda engine in a whole home generator....
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Furlock Bones
AG
My guess is localized NG pressure drops is problem for some. These whole home generators all burning at the same time is more than the regular flow.
SockDePot
Ag_07 said:

I have serious doubts about whether the nat gas supply and infrastructure will be able to handle the insane increase of all these whole home generators.

I've got a "custom" (to put it politically correct) setup.

I've gone pretty deep down the NG home & portable generator rabbit hole, this is the next concern.

It's already starting, some major commercial construction projects in brand new developments are having to make standby power decisions on Centerpoint telling them the gas demand isn't / won't be there.

BBRex
AG
I have a little Honda 2200i that's been a champ. I've had it running refrigerators, the WiFi, fans, charging phones and other devices, and a small A/C unit. Obviously I have had to make choices because it can't do all at once.

I'd like to get a better setup, but each time I think "that's what I want," someone points out a weakness. I think a Generac and similar are out. So that leaves getting a larger generator and deciding whether to wire the box for it or just run extension cords. Should I make an appointment with an electrician to talk it out, or is that just wasting money?
htxag09
AG
BBRex said:

I have a little Honda 2200i that's been a champ. I've had it running refrigerators, the WiFi, fans, charging phones and other devices, and a small A/C unit. Obviously I have had to make choices because it can't do all at once.

I'd like to get a better setup, but each time I think "that's what I want," someone points out a weakness. I think a Generac and similar are out. So that leaves getting a larger generator and deciding whether to wire the box for it or just run extension cords. Should I make an appointment with an electrician to talk it out, or is that just wasting money?
Honestly, even if keeping that generator I'd do an interlock kit. A lot easier to just isolate breakers than running moving appliances to get plugs and running extension chords, IMO.

My previous set up was the comparable Yamaha. I had two and set them up in parallel.
TXTransplant
Here is a tip for anyone running their new generator.

We just started up my Duromax on propane. Ran an extension cord, connected a power strip, and plugged in the fridge to the strip. The plugs on the Duromax are GFCI, and after a few minutes, the GFcI tripped. Plugged the fridge directly into the extension cord and the same thing happened.

Going to Home Depot to get an 30 amp adapter, which we think will solve the problem.

Eventually this unit will be connected directly to my electrical and nat gas, but we literally unboxed it last weekend and hadn't made it that far.
aTm2004
AG
Gus88 said:

Any experiences?
How often do they come service it and what exactly are they doing? These are an engine just like everything else, so if you neglect certain things (not saying she did) it will not run properly. Even when it's running, you still need to keep in mind hours run and when you need to change the oil.

Batteries die just like in everything else. Ever drive your vehicle one day and things are great and you get in the next morning and the battery is dead? Same thing. There should be a yellow warning light on the side to indicate when something needs to be checked or changed.

As to the number of calls, I'd think it's more of the frustrated people who are inquiring about getting one vs people with issues.
aTm2004
AG
BBRex said:

Every option will have a weakness. You just need to focus on getting one that has features you want (multiple fuel options, proper wattage, etc) and go for it. And when you do, get an interlock kit and plug (30A or 50A) depending on which generator you get and have it installed. Life will be much easier than running cords everywhere. You can power specific rooms and keep doors/windows fully shut.
ktownag08
AG
Our 3 week old Generac that had already been fully replaced once after crapping out in May storms crapped out again after 30 min Monday. Still can't get anyone out to look at it...

I did the basic troubleshooting and convinced the control board is bad again.
dahouse
AG
I'm not interested in a whole home, but the best generators I ever worked with in all my industrial experience were Onan.

Not sure if they even make one for a home application but they were the most reliable.
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
hunterjr81
Ag_07 said:

Why so? Pretty much every home has a gas heater and never have an issue there.

I have a tri fuel generator that can run off natural gas. Bought it at Costco a couple years ago. It sure is nice to not have to worry about buying gasoline. I'm at the point now where I'm going to have an interlock kit and power inlet installed to make things easier to power instead of running extension cords everywhere. Have been researching soft start kits on the home ac so I may be able to run it to off the generator I already have.
I don't think these big backup wole home generators are necessary if you have a soft start kit for your ac. I'm certainly going to test it out soon when I get it all installed.
hunterjr81
Ag_07 said:

I have a tri fuel generator that can run off natural gas. Bought it at Costco a couple years ago. It sure is nice to not have to worry about buying gasoline. I'm at the point now where I'm going to have an interlock kit and power inlet installed to make things easier to power instead of running extension cords everywhere. Have been researching soft start kits on the home ac so I may be able to run it to off the generator I already have.

I don't think these big backup whole home generators are necessary if you have a soft start kit for your ac. I'm certainly going to test it out soon when I get it all installed.
hunterjr81
DP
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Question for the tri fuel folks.

If you only run it on nat gas or propane, do you need to do anything to condition it during times of no use? Like with a gasoline genny, you are supposed to run it dry and then put in ethanol free gasoline, or add stabil or something. Is there anything like that with just nat gas? I have avoided internal combustion devices (other than vehicles) because I don't want to mess with cleaning carbs and stuff like that. Maybe nat gas avoids this.
aTm2004
AG
No. You won't have any issues that you'll have with gasoline.
htxag09
AG
hunterjr81 said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't think these big backup wole home generators are necessary if you have a soft start kit for your ac. I'm certainly going to test it out soon when I get it all installed.

Why so?

Quick google shows a water heater uses 2-5k BTU's an hour. A whole home generator can be 300k BTU's.

It's not unreasonable to see how an infrastructure set up to supply 5k BTU's per hour per house could struggle with 60x that….
TXAG 05
AG
hunterjr81 said:

Ag_07 said:

I don't think these big backup whole home generators are necessary if you have a soft start kit for your ac. I'm certainly going to test it out soon when I get it all installed.

Can't endorse the soft start enough. Installed one after El Derecho and my house is nice and cool right now instead of high 80s like it could be. For reference-4 ton unit and my generator is 9000/7250. When the A/C is running, the generator is at 50% capacity with everything else going too.

Diggity
AG
I think he's talking about a furnace, which uses a lot more natural gas.
htxag09
AG
Diggity said:

I think he's talking about a furnace, which uses a lot more natural gas.

Dope. What I get for Texagsing while drinking margs before going home to a hot house. Plus I guess the thought of using a furnace is so far removed from my mind at the moment…,

Still, about 80k BTU's. So 1/3 a whole home generator.

It's also more intermittent than a generator.
JamesE4
AG
My Generac has been running since Monday morning 23 hours per day. It is 2.5 years old and is working fine. I am going to change the oil tonight.
jswags
AG
Mine kicked on and ran for 27 hrs. My wife says it's the best money we've spent. Happy wife happy life.
Diggity
AG
I'm jealous of the drinks...not so much the hot house.

It is an interesting questions though. looks like about 1/3 of Texas homes use natural gas furnaces. Would guess that number is higher in a metro area, but we can keep it. Larger homes would usually have higher BTU or two units.

It would seem that it would take quite a ramp up in whole home heaters before you started to match the draw of all those furnaces/water heaters.
htxag09
AG
Diggity said:

I'm jealous of the drinks...not so much the hot house.

It is an interesting questions though. looks like about 1/3 of Texas homes use natural gas furnaces. Would guess that number is higher in a metro area, but we can keep it. Larger homes would usually have higher BTU or two units.

It would seem that it would take quite a ramp up in whole home heaters before you started to match the draw of all those furnaces/water heaters.

Assume you mean whole home generators in your last sentence and I agree. And I don't think we're there yet. But since the may storm the neighbors on both sides of me, behind me, and across the street have had them installed. Since Monday many other neighbors have asked who each used in our group text. Not unfeasible to see 3/4 of homes in some wealthier neighborhoods having them within the next couple years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.