Houston
Sponsored by

Attorney with experience against City of Houston

2,871 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by Bondag
HoustonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My company is looking for a attorney with experience against City of Houston and more specifically the Office of Business Opportunity.

If you have any recommendations please send them my way!

houstonag2012@gmail.com

Thanks!
BQ_90
AG
bribes will probable be cheaper and more effective
CDUB98
AG
If you're waiting on a building permit, you might as well just find a different job. Those people give no ****s.
Irish 2.0
Chris Thornhill
cthornhill @ thornhilllawfirm . net
Ciboag96
Ahhh, dealing with the City of Houston. It's a DEI experiment taken to its fullest limit. Good luck!
Booma94
AG
BQ_90 said:

Al Swearengen would be proud...
James Forsyth
BQ_90 said:

I represented a company who bid on City of Houston cleaning contracts (for buildings). They were awarded but the vote to approved by council was held up. A certain city councilman told our client's representative that the contracts had to have some percentage of minority ownership. Our client rep says they're 100% Hispanic-owned. Said councilman said...."not the right kind of minority".

We got our lobbyist in to start going around to everyone on council and the mayor and politely raising a stink. Finally got the vote through.

Some of the buildings to be cleaned were fire stations. The firemen were shocked when cleaning crews arrived. They had always just done them themselves. Apparently, the prior vendor just pocketed the money from the contract but didn't provide services.

Another case did involve a city employee alluding to needing a "cut" from a contract. City of Houston procurement is not a place for the unwary to tread.

If you want to run your issue past me, happy to discuss with you.
one MEEN Ag
AG
BQ_90 said:

The problem is if you don't know who to bribe, how much, where to hide it, who else has to be bribed to cover yourself, and what other strange endeavors this will cost you in the future - you're just going to get caught and roasted on the 5 o' clock news.

And if you did know all of these things, you wouldn't be here on the outside looking in trying to get a permit approved.
BQ_90
AG
I was joking
HoustonAg12
AG
Please contact me at the email above.

Thanks!
Psycho Bunny
BQ_90 said:

City officials like the small bills, 5's 10's and 20's. Just leave the money in the storage unit next to Rodney Ellis storage unit. You know... the one with all the "art work".
Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate
Build It
AG
1. You need to find the right bag man.
2. You absolutely need an African American as a partner
3. You'll have to understand sometimes you lose because someone has a bigger bag of money

These have been the rules for a long time. It was way better when I started, the building inspector left his trunk open while on the job. When he came back it was closed with a nice surprise inside.
maroon barchetta
My dad became friends with a restauranteur in Brazoria County. He had left houston to start over down there.

He said the price of paying off building inspectors and health inspectors had gotten to be too high. And they would shut you down if you didn't pay.

This was in the late 80's.

It's always been like this.
Irish 2.0
This is why I may or may not have recorded every interaction with a city official during the buildout of our place.
Build It
AG
Yup, I started in late 80's. I'm an old guy. Mayor Whitmire cleaned up the building department. Lasted a long time. The money is still changing hands somewhere.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

This is why I may or may not have recorded every interaction with a city official during the buildout of our place.
friend of mine collects classic guitars. Had a CoH inspection where the inspector told him he could pass inspection if he could have his [if I recall correctly, very expensive] 1960 Gibson ES 330.

He failed and made it clear the next inspection was recorded (where he passed).
AgLA06
AG
Build It said:

Yup, I started in late 80's. I'm an old guy. Mayor Whitmire cleaned up the building department. Lasted a long time. The money is still changing hands somewhere.
Interesting isn't it.

I was involved in commercial development in Houston for almost a decade between 2005 and 2015. 100s of projects that I was on site from preliminary planning to final site inspections. I saw some really ignorant / didn't give a damn code enforcement employees. But I don't recall a single request for a bribe.

Maybe the actual owner of the projects handled that in private. Or maybe it didn't happen.
Build It
AG
Not sure how Kathy Whitmire cleaned it up but she did. It's lasted a long time. Since cell phones can record someone so easily it would be hard for an Inspector to get away with it now.

The cabal that runs the COH now is based purely on racial lines. There are bigger paydays available than a case of whisky or a few hundred bucks in an envelope.

Ryan the Temp
AG
As much as there's no love lost for me when it comes to Houston Public Works, the idea that it is rife with corruption and bribe-taking is a myth. There will always be isolated incidents, even incidents involving huge sums of money (as we saw recently), but by and large 99.9% of the employees are not on the take.
Build It
AG
Agreed, I've never heard of it since the 90's.

But who could forget Ben Reyes, the Port Commisioner, and a few council members in the mid 90's who got caught in an FBI sting. Ben did 20 years I think. All over a hotel construction approval.
Diggity
AG
Your narrative seems to be changing on an hourly basis
Jason_InfinityRoofer
CDUB98 said:

If you're waiting on a building permit, you might as well just find a different job. Those people give no ****s.
HAHAHA....I applied for a roofing permit first week of March, and received it the second week of April. Not even kidding. It's a piece of paper that requires nothing more than a signature. A MONTH. It's the worst system I have ever used and getting in touch with someone who isn't apathetic is a task. I wish Ron Swanson worked in every department. He DGAF, but it was for the right reasons, the people working there now just DGAF at all.

It took over a month to get a finished roof 'approved' through the city because it had to go to the FLOODPLAIN planning. There were 3 departments it had to go through. It was nuts.

I am in full support of permits, but they need to be administered properly and serve their intended purpose. For most jurisdictions, they do neither.
AgLA06
AG
It went through floodplame to make sure it isn't a house that isn't supposed to be repaired.

This isn't college station. A month isn't exactly a long wait for any permit in the largest cities in the nation. As someone who's done projects in other top 10 largest cities, perspective might be off.

Hell, in many smaller cities your waiting a month for the permit group just to meet (work) to approve it.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

but they need to be administered properly and serve their intended purpose.
We're talking about the government, right?
Diggity
AG
I didn't even know roofing permits were a thing. Guess I've been hiring shady people.
Bondag
AG
One of Sylvester's buddies went around town right after he was elected. His pitch was to add 3% to dollar value and we would get project. The contracts would go through his name but he was not liable for anything and didn't do anything and we would have to write the contracts.

Then Harvey hit and we didn't hear from him again.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.