Houston
Sponsored by

Eclipse traffic

20,358 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by 94chem
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
maroon barchetta said:

Not from what I'm hearing. I would expect it to be longer.

Agreed. I'd think 10+ hrs.
jetch17
AG
What a beating
Foamcows
AG
looks like its going to be raining for most of the path through Texas on Monday...
Serotonin
AG
Foamcows said:

looks like its going to be raining for most of the path through Texas on Monday...

It's too far out to have an accurate forecast for Monday a week from now let alone the Monday a week after.

Having said that, it would be pretty funny.
Jock 07
AG
I lived in Omaha during the 2017 eclipse and drove west to grand isle to get in the path and wound up pulling off in a random corn field to watch. Traffic on the drive out wasn't bad but was an absolute ****show on the way back. This was in BFE NE. I can only imagine what it'll be like in the hill country. I was planning on taking my son to the in-laws in Georgetown but then I got Masters tickets and am now flying to Augusta.
It was definitely a cool experience, looked like the sun was setting 360 degrees and the animals started singing and what not thinking it was dusk. But definitely understand what you're getting yourself into vis--vis the logistics of it all.

Sea Speed
AG
Watching it from garner state park. Can't wait.
TefIon Don
AG
My parents house in Lago Vista is in the path of totality, so I'm driving there early Monday morning but won't drive back to Houston until traffic is clear.
Cromagnum
AG
I am going to lmao if April 8th is thunderstorm day and nobody can see **** anyways.
MAROON
AG
one issue that could come up would be gas shortages. That would be the one thing you can't plan around - unless you bring some extra gas cans for the trip.

We can easily drive to the hill country on one tank...but......returning home is an issue. I guess fill up as close as we can on the way up there and hope for the best.
wessimo
AG
All of y'all saying this is a big non event, you are totally right. Keep telling everyone you know. If you are on the fence, definitely give it a miss.

Spread the word far and wide. If you are successful maybe I'll get home 10-15 minutes earlier.
The Kraken
AG
Younger brother lives on Lake Travis, I'll drive up on Saturday and spend the weekend with him.

Not planning on leaving until late Monday to avoid most of the traffic...even then, I may take back roads.

To those questioning what the big deal is....I went to Missouri in 2017 (spent time with my mother's side of the family up there). Really one of the most magical and eerie things I've ever experienced. Well worth any travel heartache to see.
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
one MEEN Ag
AG
Is there a place I can bet money that there will be a spike in suburban crime in Houston on the eclipse? HISD/SBISD is gonna be out and the burbs is gonna be 3 hours away, stuck in traffic trying to get a whataburger.
redaszag99
I'm in McGregor TX and it is center of path and I just saw that they have an Amtrak station
Kenneth_2003
AG
My truck holds 35 gallons. I'm filling up in San Antonio (or around that area) on Saturday morning on my way to Utopia. I'll also have at least 10 extra gallons in the bed of my truck. I'm bringing snacks and water for the drive home and have arrangements to stay with a friend in San Antonio Monday night if needed.

To posters saying they might take the back roads... I don't think that will help...
BBRex
AG
I was in Hopkinsville, Kentucky, for the 2017 eclipse. It was great to experience, but I don't feel the need to fight the crowds for this one.
one MEEN Ag
AG
This thread is giving me pause about my eclipse plans. I might reconsider our path and plan to head to san antonio, but on the way back loop more downward through victoria.
StillNotAnAggie
My daughter has a volleyball tournament in Dallas that weekend and we are scheduled to play and then come home Monday. FML. I might try to extend my hotel to Tuesday.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yeah I'll be driving back from a basketball tournament that Monday from Monroe, LA.

......unless we get bounced quick Sunday and we can hopefully peel out then.
Serotonin
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Yeah I'll be driving back from a basketball tournament that Monday from Monroe, LA.

......unless we get bounced quick Sunday and we can hopefully peel out then.

Monroe to Houston wouldn't have any eclipse traffic.
Ag_07
AG
So what I'm reading is that locations along the path of totality are only going to get at most 4 mins of totality.

People are driving from all over for 4 mins of darkness?

I thought it was gonna be like at least 15.

Y'all are crazy
maroon barchetta
People are flying in from other parts of the world.

It must be a big deal.

A 2-star hotel on the fort in Bracketville had two rooms left when I called them. They wanted $300/night with a three night minimum.

$900 just for a room in a very basic hotel. In a town with few food options.

And I'm sure they booked those to someone.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Ag_07 said:

I thought it was gonna be like at least 15.

Y'all are crazy

TWSS
Kenneth_2003
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

This thread is giving me pause about my eclipse plans. I might reconsider our path and plan to head to san antonio, but on the way back loop more downward through victoria.

It to Victoria though you'll be paralleling the path of totality. I used to live in Beeville and considered that for my Utopia back to Spring run. Things is most all of those roads are all just two lanes with limited paying areas. I don't think you'll get any advantage.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Kenneth_2003 said:

one MEEN Ag said:

It to Victoria though you'll be paralleling the path of totality. I used to live in Beeville and considered that for my Utopia back to Spring run. Things is most all of those roads are all just two lanes with limited paying areas. I don't think you'll get any advantage.

I would go out to San Antonio to see the full eclipse, but then head south and loop thru Victoria when everyone is heading east so I can come back into Houston on the southwest side of town. Most everyone is going to be trying to be coming back any way between 45 and I-10. I think an extra hour of driving will help with sitting 4+ hours in traffic.
94chem
I'm driving up Sunday from Houston to CS, then heading to Ennis Monday morning. Hoping for the best by staying off 45.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
maroon barchetta
94chem said:

I'm driving up Sunday from Houston to CS, then heading to Ennis Monday morning. Hoping for the best by staying off 45.

Report back after the eclipse. I'm curious if it will be no big deal driving north or if it will be a cluster
The Kraken
AG
I'm contemplating staying in Austin overnight and just leave early Tuesday, like at 4:00 AM
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Jock 07
AG
How's the weather looking right now?
Bondag
AG
I have a guy I used to work with listing random cabins at his ranch for $3,500
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Not ideal. But, it is just now on the ten day forecast.
maroon barchetta
The Kraken said:

I'm contemplating staying in Austin overnight and just leave early Tuesday, like at 4:00 AM

This is your best bet
BayAg_14
Most forecast models are agreeing on solid cloud cover with a decent chance for rain.
htxag09
AG
From the Space City Guys...

Quote:

Total solar eclipse
Although we are still a week away from the total solar eclipse on April 8, which will take place at approximately 1:30 to 1:40 pm CT for much of the line of totality across Texas, the forecast is pretty grim. Locally, in Houston, about 94 percent of the Sun will be covered on Monday at the peak of the eclipse. My preliminary forecast for next Monday is scattered to widespread rain showers with mostly cloudy skies. For areas along the line of totality in Texas, the outlook is not much better. The operational runs of both the GFS and European models have, consistently, shown nearly 100 percent cloud cover across much of the state during the early afternoon hours on Monday. There is a fair amount of support for this in the ensembles as an upper-level system crosses the southern plains. Many of these areas could see rain on Monday.

The map below shows the ensemble forecast for percent of the sky covered in clouds on Monday at 1 pm CT. For nearly all of the totality path in Texas, the value is about 75 percent. However, given the consistency in the operational models, I would lean toward a value higher than that at this time.
Ensemble forecast for percent of the sky covered at 1 pm CT on April 8. (Tomer Berg)

About this I would say a couple of things. First of all, we're still a week out. Forecasts can and do change. But this is not a good place to be seven days from the total eclipse. If you really want to see the eclipse with clear skies, the northeastern United States looks like your best bet. Secondly, if you're staying in Texas, the eclipse will still be quite a treat even with poor weather. Along the line of totality the sky will still get completely dark in the middle of the day, which will be an eerie experience indeed.

We'll continue to track the eclipse forecast in the days ahead.
Sea Speed
AG
This is the worst news. I am so freaking bummed. At least I'll get a fun camping trip with my family.
maroon barchetta
Sea Speed said:

This is the worst news. I am so freaking bummed. At least I'll get a fun camping trip with my family.

I'm really hoping the forecast turns out to be wrong like it normally is when we actually want rain a week out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.