Houston
Sponsored by

Minute Maid Park Question.

2,474 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by sts7049
TJaggie14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How much does it cost to rent out the ball park? Just got home from the Savannah Banana game & was wondering what it cost them to put on the game. I couldn't find anything online & figured someone here would know
atmtws
AG
We were there. They put on a great production. I'm shocked that they sold out, and almost completely filled the juice box. I too wonder what the fees are. I would assume probably expenses (utilities, staff, security) are charged to the renters, then Crane charges a percentage of ticket and merch sales?
TJaggie14
AG
I thought I read they had something like 158k ticket request for Houston. Last year they had over 250k ticket request. So I'm not too surprised they sold out....but at the same time I agree it is a little surprising they sold out.

So I was thinking it was a flat fee to rent the ball park out. Crane would get the concession revenue & parking revenue. The Bananas would get all their merchandise sales and whatever else they made from ticket sales (regular & VIP).

So at an average price of $50 a ticket and 41k fans that gets you $2,050,000 in ticket sales. They had ticket takers, ushers, security, concession workers, custodial working so you think $1 million would cover that and renting out the ball park for the night? So the Bananas would then take the remaining $1,050,000?

I think they probably made a killing with merch sales. Lots of people buying hats, shirts, and koozies. Sandbag some numbers & say $100 orders and 25k fans gets you $2.5 mill....that wouldn't be too bad of a night.

The show/game/spectacle was incredible. We had an absolute blast. Was awesome seeing Roy Oswalt, Roger Clemens, and Josh Reddick. Hope they come back next year and add a couple more games.
swimmerbabe11
I regret not going. i went to the game in savannah and couldn't believe how much fun my group had. absolutely insanely fun time for anyone
BoxingAg84
https://www.instagram.com/tv/C4UM0n2gw_Y
P.H. Dexippus
AG
AJ02
AG
So jealous of y'all that went. We both signed up for the lottery right away, and neither my husband nor I got picked to buy tickets.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I don't know anything, but for events with an actual draw, I doubt it's a rental agreement. I assumed MinuteMaid/Astros book those.
TJaggie14
AG
Idk about that because the Bananas were the ones selling tickets.
atmtws
AG
TJaggie14 said:

I thought I read they had something like 158k ticket request for Houston. Last year they had over 250k ticket request. So I'm not too surprised they sold out....but at the same time I agree it is a little surprising they sold out.

So I was thinking it was a flat fee to rent the ball park out. Crane would get the concession revenue & parking revenue. The Bananas would get all their merchandise sales and whatever else they made from ticket sales (regular & VIP).

So at an average price of $50 a ticket and 41k fans that gets you $2,050,000 in ticket sales. They had ticket takers, ushers, security, concession workers, custodial working so you think $1 million would cover that and renting out the ball park for the night? So the Bananas would then take the remaining $1,050,000?

I think they probably made a killing with merch sales. Lots of people buying hats, shirts, and koozies. Sandbag some numbers & say $100 orders and 25k fans gets you $2.5 mill....that wouldn't be too bad of a night.

The show/game/spectacle was incredible. We had an absolute blast. Was awesome seeing Roy Oswalt, Roger Clemens, and Josh Reddick. Hope they come back next year and add a couple more games.

I think we made the case that Houston likes Banana Ball and can put butts in seats. They're adding another team, The Firefighters. I'd like to see them franchise it and bring one to Houston. There's def a market for it, as we saw last night.
Jock 07
AG
Perhaps I'm the only one who's completely out of it but I had never heard of this concept until this thread. How long has this been a thing? Would love to catch a show somewhere sometime.
atmtws
AG
Google Savannah Bananas. The best way I can describe them is being an entertainment/satire league. Currently they have three teams based out of Savannah. The Bananas, Party Animals and The Firefighters. Games are streamed live on YouTube. There's also some documentaries out there on their history and the concept. They started in 2016 and were part of a college summer league. And they created an almost cult-like following.

https://youtube.com/@TheSavannahBananas?si=rSYu1MQ3uvUsq7au

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_Bananas
sts7049
AG
Jock 07 said:

Perhaps I'm the only one who's completely out of it but I had never heard of this concept until this thread. How long has this been a thing? Would love to catch a show somewhere sometime.
i think you might be the only one out of it here
agracer
AG
sts7049 said:

Jock 07 said:

i think you might be the only one out of it here
nope, never heard of it but after reading the rule MLB needs to adopt some of them!
98Ag99Grad
AG
I stumbled across these guys on espn+ one night and thought I was going crazy when someone caught a foul and they called the hitter out.
htxag09
AG
Not sure about events like this on whether they rent the venue or just take a cut, or both.

But a couple weeks ago I attended a two day conference at Minute Maid (O&G industry). They have booths along the concourse, speakers in Union Station, and companies are also set up in the suites so you can go in and out visiting with them. They also do things like happy hour and batting practice on the field at night.

Maybe I'll get a chance to ask the hosts ballpark of what it costs. I do know that they pay utilities....in years that it's been hot he's made comments along the lines of costing a fortune to keep that place cool.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Jock 07 said:

It's a pretty new thing. I just started noticing the message board hype about them the last couple years; apparently they started in Savannah in 2016.

JJxvi
AG
I mean, its basically the same as like the Harlem Globetrotters....they should get on saturday morning cartoons.
mnetop
AG
DustysLineup said:

Jock 07 said:

It's a pretty new thing. I just started noticing the message board hype about them the last couple years; apparently they started in Savannah in 2016.

That looks like an absolute blast! I am sorry I missed it.

Thanks for sharing that video.
Sea Speed
AG
Hold up, you can take BP at the juice box? Texags group buy, anyone?
TJaggie14
AG
Just double checking if anyone had an idea for what it would cost to rent out the juice box.

For your trouble:
https://www.instagram.com/gracebelleuribe/p/CuNVFLgy-84/?hl=en&img_index=1

https://www.instagram.com/aggiezta/p/C1AxSqxr3jn/?hl=en&img_index=8

sts7049
AG
call and ask

Special Events | Minute Maid Park | Houston Astros (mlb.com)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.