Houston
Sponsored by

And so it begins ... Bad news for the bike laners

23,415 Views | 221 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by David_Puddy
Crazy Ag 97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The worst part about those crap bike lanes (this coming from a cyclist), is they are unusable. By putting those curbs up they became traps for debris and they are impossible to street sweep. So basically, they want cyclists to ride thru that's guaranteed to either cause a flat or worse a wreck. If they really wanted bikers to use the lanes you paint them but don't use curbs like on heights blvd. At least then the lanes can be included in the street cleaning program and cyclists could safely use them (point is not about agreeing or disagreeing with the bike lanes, this is just a comment on how if they are going to build at least make them usable)
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Just gonna stick this here.

The leftwing professional activists are rallying to go after Whitmire. It's astounding to see how many unrelated groups, that have nothing to do with transit or local neighborhoods, can be called upon and "organized" so quickly on a given issue.

I wonder how many actual humans are represented by all the group names and self-given titles of leadership.
Anastasia Beaverhaven
If Whitmire is getting backlash from those groups, he is doing and saying all the right things. Those groups are the losers of society and we shouldn't pay one ounce of attention to them.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/harris-county/cyclist-lawsuit-city-of-houston/285-39e08a70-44a9-42bb-9840-9c69bdf00175

Quote:

HOUSTON A man is seeking up to $250,000 in a lawsuit filed against the City of Houston after he hit a pothole and crashed his bike last year.

According to the lawsuit, the man claims he was riding his bike in a designated bike lane on Heights Boulevard north of the Waugh Bat Bridge on Nov. 1 around 9 p.m. when he hit a "massive pothole causing him to fall off his bicycle and strike his face on the pavement and sustain serious facial injuries."
Sea Speed
AG
Are people incapable of looking where they are going now? Jfc.
chico
AG
Sea Speed said:

Are people incapable of looking where they are going now? Jfc.

Hard to say. Dude could've been squeezed between the curb and a car next to him with no place to swerve. Those bike lanes can be narrow. Brakes could have slowed him down but maybe still hit it.
The bike lanes around town are a mess. I try to avoid them
drumboy
AG
I rIde all over ITL going 30 mph on an E-BIKE converted 24 yo RockHopper with rim brakes.

If I can keep the rubber side down after a few beers this guy can avoid a pothole.
Crazy Ag 97
AG
drumboy said:

I rIde all over ITL going 30 mph on an E-BIKE converted 24 yo RockHopper with rim brakes.

If I can keep the rubber side down after a few beers this guy can avoid a pothole.

Ah, so you're one of those people that rides a motorized vehicle on a bike trail/lane that specifically states no motor vehicles. Good to know.
drumboy
AG
Crazy Ag 97 said:

drumboy said:

Ah, so you're one of those people that rides a motorized vehicle on a bike trail/lane that specifically states no motor vehicles. Good to know.

Where did I say I was riding in the no motor vehicle lane? But yes I do ride in the bike lanes sometimes, not really on the off street ones.

I also roll stop signs in the car
Dr. Doctor
AG
BohunkAg
AG
David_Puddy
AG
Can't say I've ever seen any titties out and about on any of the trails, but sure hope to someday soon

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.