Houston
Sponsored by

Next Houston Mayor

4,813 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Psycho Bunny
How long do you want to ignore this user?
cryption
I have no doubt that will be the case. Houston voters disappoint me time after time. Her and Lina ... wow ... it's a bleak future
cajunaggie08
AG
No one is winning the mayoral election tonight. A candidate needs to get over 50% to avoid there being a runoff and polls were showing it at 34% Whitmire and 31% for SJL. That same poll had a potential runoff between Whitmire and SJL with Whitmire winning by 14 points. Now of course these early polls can be wrong but I would be shocked for SJL to pick up 19 points tonight to get to 50%
NoahAg
OTBeltway FTW
cryption
That is a slightly comforting reminder
Wildmen06
AG
i think Whitmire has enough support in a runoff to win....espically since every Republican will vote for him to keep SJL away
Marauder Blue 6
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

No one is winning the mayoral election tonight. A candidate needs to get over 50% to avoid there being a runoff and polls were showing it at 34% Whitmire and 31% for SJL. That same poll had a potential runoff between Whitmire and SJL with Whitmire winning by 14 points. Now of course these early polls can be wrong but I would be shocked for SJL to pick up 19 points tonight to get to 50%
And it sounds like Whitmire has a decent war chest for ads. I hope I hear an ad for him every time I turn on the radio and see his signs every time I cross into Houston city limits.
SockDePot
Wildmen06 said:

i think Whitmire has enough support in a runoff to win....espically since every Republican will vote for him to keep SJL away

Yeah, I think / hope her shot was to win w/o a run off.

Her adds were ridiculous, Whitmire loves abortion, and is a secret republican! I hope more than 50% of people see through that in the run off

I don't have a horse in the race for voting but I can't imagine how much worse of a cesspool COH will get with her at the helm.
digging tunnels
AG
Curious if any white libs are actually voting for her at all
W
AG
Wildmen06 said:

some Republicans went ahead and voted for him today
Ciboag96
Voting? Lol. That ***** is harvesting
Wildmen06
AG
I am one of them.
Ryan the Temp
AG
digging tunnels said:

Sadly, yes.
sts7049
AG
the turnout is just pathetic. whitmire only has just over 100k votes?
12th Man Ag
AG
sts7049 said:

the turnout is just pathetic. whitmire only has just over 100k votes?

And the actual decision will be made by even fewer voters. What is the normal turnout for a runoff election on a Saturday?
TXAG 05
AG
digging tunnels said:

Probably all of them.
Al Bula
AG
I guess if SJL wins the runoff, we will know how badly the DNC wanted her out of DC.
dreyOO
Wildmen06 said:

From your lips to God's ears.

And the best free advertising Whitmire has going is Michael Berry. Hopefully he can rally some republican support.
bularry
I think I heard there were over 450k ballots cast.. not sure if that was Harris County total or just City of Houston.

CDUB98
AG
bularry said:

I think I heard there were over 450k ballots cast.. not sure if that was Harris County total or just City of Houston.

Think reeeeaaallly hard about what you just wrote.
randy828
AG
TXAG 05 said:

digging tunnels said:

Probably all of them.
Saw of a few of these idiots during KHOU's shot of her shuffle cow dance into her election party last night.

Did anyone see KHOU had a live interview with her over zoom or something and they had audio difficulties this morning??? Think SJL wasn't cussing out a few of her underlings for that fiasco??

Tex117
AG
W said:

Wildmen06 said:

some Republicans went ahead and voted for him today
Here.

It was the only right move to help SJL lose.
MAROON
AG
247k voted in the Houston mayors race, 428k voted in Harris County
RC_57
AG
MAROON said:

~2.6 million registered voters in Harris county.

So what, around 1.25, 1.5 million in Houston.

And only 250k voted.

Apathy is alive and well...and/or disgust with the available choices.
Kenneth_2003
AG
RC_57 said:

MAROON said:

And only 250k voted.

In Texas.... Other than the 14 confusingly written (for most/many) ammendments to the state constitution these were local lon elections.

Historically, here and everywhere, the absolutely poorest turnouts with the most impact on your day to day life. Overall these are probably some of the lowest dollar campaigns was well. It's hard though... Trying to run for some city council spot where you don't want to spend your campaign dollars on city/region wide TV and radio spots when you're targeting a dozen or so neighborhoods. Sure you can target those community papers and mailers, but the turnout we see reflects the folks that actually read those.

I think the funnier thing was the Harris County folks patting themselves on the back for having no major issues with the voting. Good grief, I'd certainly hope it went smoothly when less than 1% of registered voters darkened the doorstep of a polling location!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
RC_57 said:

MAROON said:

And only 250k voted.

join the party!

Ciboag96
Sheila can harvest and stuff ballots with only her left hand and win this easily
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Don't forget ignorance! A lot of people just don't bother to learn about local government, and who does what. Even people who like to talk politics, when you bring up local elections, just come back with "I'm worried about this country!" Like they're focused on big serious issues, and don't have time for your petty provincial concerns.
Ryan the Temp
AG
DustysLineup said:

Quote:

Don't forget ignorance! A lot of people just don't bother to learn about local government, and who does what. Even people who like to talk politics, when you bring up local elections, just come back with "I'm worried about this country!" Like they're focused on big serious issues, and don't have time for your petty provincial concerns.
All the people who spend so much time worrying about issues that will legit never affect them, yet they don't care about local government until a gigantic pothole takes out a couple tires and their oil pan.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I wish some popular historian would write a book about the local government careers of the Founders. So all the blowhards who think they're true patriots could perhaps finally understand the city, county, and state governments are actually a part of "this country." And that the Founders were concerned with such petty things as roads, flooding, policing and fire too.

Even OUR "community radio station," KPFT, just has old hippies rambling about national politics and abstract ideals when they do their public concern routine.

I do think news coverage has a lot to do with turnout. The number of local reporters mainly focused on local government/politics is smaller than it was 20 or even 10 years ago, and much smaller than it was before media consolidation.
TexasAggie81
Wildmen06 said:

I'll be one of those Republicans. But, unfortunately, if Whitmire wins, SJL will remain as the representatives of my US house district. Ugh.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
It's not like she would be replaced in Congress by someone with different politics. She does far less damage to your quality of life there than she could as mayor.
SW AG80
AG
So Whitmire and SJL are in a runoff?

I've never lived in Houston because I am curious about these 2 pjiss poor choices.
TX04Aggie
AG
Whitmire will rally the Garcia vote and some others, I forget is their early voting for the runoff?
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yes there is early voting for the runoff. I think it's one week of early voting instead of two.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.