Houston
Sponsored by

Great, government housing going in next door

5,919 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
P.H. Dexippus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And you thought the Ashby Highrise and bike lanes sucked. Google "Campanile on Minimax". 177 unit government housing project next to Timbergrove using federal subsidy in the form of vouchers. Being homeless for over a year qualifies you for a voucher.

Don't know how I just learned of this. I miss Swamplot.

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/47254-campanile-on-minimax-multifamily-at-2727-minimax-dr/#comment-648866
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/housing/article/houston-housing-authority-affordable-housing-18107245.php
cajunaggie08
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

And you thought the Ashby Highrise and bike lanes sucked. Google "Campanile on Minimax". 177 unit government housing project next to Timbergrove using federal subsidy in the form of vouchers. Being homeless for over a year qualifies you for a voucher.

Well do you want them on the street or in an apartment?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
As if the only options are (1) homeless people living on the streets or (2) congregating them in subsidized housing in the burbs.

Not in my neighborhood. Are you offering to rehouse some people?
Dimebag Darrell
It is amazing just how many loft/apt complexes are part govt housing w/ reduced rental rates for people under certain income thresholds.

Well, maybe not "govt housing" if other above-threshold residents are paying more to foot their bills. Anyone know how this works? My bro lives at a pretty nice multifamily place and he knows they have rent programs for people making less than $50-60k.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Per Chron:

Quote:

The Campanile on Minimax is slated to be a 177-unit, mixed-income apartment complex. (This apartment complex is named after the street on which the now-defunct grocery store Minimax once sat.) Mixed-income complexes have gained popularity as a way to prevent the problems that can come with economic segregation, such as deteriorating housing quality and poor public safety. Ninety-three of those units, or a little over half, will be affordable to households of various incomes. Of those, 31 would receive project-based vouchers.

renters will not have to pay any more than 30 percent of their incomes for rent and utilities. While some vouchers are given to renters, allowing them to choose where to use the subsidy, these vouchers would be tied to the specific apartment locations, meaning renters who move out would lose the subsidy.

TXAG 05
AG
That address is where all those town homes are going up, don't think there is any apartment complex, but I'll look on the way home today
Diggity
AG
Brittmoore Car Club said:

It is amazing just how many loft/apt complexes are part govt housing w/ reduced rental rates for people under certain income thresholds.

Well, maybe not "govt housing" if other above-threshold residents are paying more to foot their bills. Anyone know how this works? My bro lives at a pretty nice multifamily place and he knows they have rent programs for people making less than $50-60k.

It's a racket that smart developers have cashed in on over the past few years.

Basically, you offer a certain % of your apartments at a lower rate and you you don't have to pay any property taxes (for up to 99 years). Really helps out a proforma when 1/3 of your fixed costs just vanish.

Regulators finally seem to have caught on and passed some legislation to rope in these practices. We'll see what happens.
Al Bula
AG
Quote:

Mixed-income complexes have gained popularity as a way to prevent the problems that can come with economic segregation, such as deteriorating housing quality and poor public safety.
In other words, cultural enrichment is coming to Timbergrove.
Martin Q. Blank
cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

I want them in an Ashby-like highrise next to your house. I hear they'll have great neighbors who will welcome them with warm cookies.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
what is going in where Clayton Homes used to be?
Diggity
AG
last I heard, the plan was to use that land for part of the 45 expansion
cajunaggie08
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

I want them in an Ashby-like highrise next to your house. I hear they'll have great neighbors who will welcome them with warm cookies.
Bring em over. I can't eat all of the cookies without getting judged. A highrise out here will definitely look odd though but out here in the unincorporated lawless frontier I suppose nothing can stop it.
Martin Q. Blank
cajunaggie08 said:

Martin Q. Blank said:

cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

Bring em over. I can't eat all of the cookies without getting judged. A highrise out here will definitely look odd though but out here in the unincorporated lawless frontier I suppose nothing can stop it.
oh right, you don't have to actually deal with the problems you support.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
TXAG 05 said:

That address is where all those town homes are going up, don't think there is any apartment complex, but I'll look on the way home today
Not yet. I bet those townhomes sell like hot cakes when prospective buyers learn they get to drive by Campanile to get in/out of their residence.
K Bo
AG
TXAG 05 said:

That's what I was thinking but I don't think the land directly north of those townhomes has been developed, yet. I'm guessing it'll be on that big lot right at the corner of Minimax and 290.
SlackerAg
AG
David Happymountain said:

Quote:

Mixed-income complexes have gained popularity as a way to prevent the problems that can come with economic segregation, such as deteriorating housing quality and poor public safety.
In other words, cultural enrichment is coming to Timbergrove.

Soon to become "Timbaland".
AlaskanAg99
AG
This is a huge issue for MUDs. If an existing apartment complex goes this route and suddenly the MUD loses out on the entire tax base for the parcel(s) then they're left holding the bag for the cost of infrastructure development. Which can be substantial depending on several factors for the water plant.

There are ways around this and many are augmenting their rate structure to write in If this happens, they owner owes in 1 lump sum the entire cost of infrastructure to support said development.

After that, if thr MUD is large enough, they can ammend their water/sewer rates to cover M&O since the tax base is gone.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

AgLA06
AG
There's been a similar development in Garden Oaks for like 15 years with very little issue. The average person doesn't even know it's partially government funded. I believe it is 60% HUD and an over 55 community.
Diggity
AG
agreed. There's a ton of these apartment projects around town that you would never suspect take vouchers or have designated "affordable" units. That's actually part of the grift. You propose to have a % affordable then never market them and hope nobody finds out.

The idea that this is "government housing" and will be filled with homeless folks is pretty exaggerated.

It's a privately developed apartment complex looking for loopholes to lower their tax burden (which I think it BS for the record). It's not a California La Quinta filled with meth addicts.
AgLA06
AG
Diggity said:

agreed. There's a ton of these apartment projects around town that you would never suspect take vouchers or have designated "affordable" units. That's actually part of the grift. You propose to have a % affordable then never market them and hope nobody finds out.

The idea that this is "government housing" and will be filled with homeless folks is pretty exaggerated.

It's a privately developed apartment complex looking for loopholes to lower their tax burden (which I think it BS for the record). It's not a California La Quinta filled with meth addicts.
I get the concern. It just depends on the developer / manage group.

Key drivers.

• % affordable.
  • over 55
  • How is it marketed.

The one in Garden Oaks has nothing on the website or really anywhere that markets to the affordable crowd. I assume that's done through the government program anyway. It's a nice, well run place that's been kept up well with few issues. Hell, my grandmother was looking into it, but there's a waiting list unless you can qualify for the government program.

I actually was involved with the design / development as a consultant and nothing about it was geared to the expected "cheap" government project.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
AgLA06 said:

There's been a similar development in Garden Oaks for like 15 years with very little issue. The average person doesn't even know it's partially government funded. I believe it is 60% HUD and an over 55 community.

An over 55 community is a different animal than one which qualifies for subsidy based on homelessness, and where the tenant looses the subsidy if they leave the specific development.

I hope it turns out to be no big deal as far as crime and poverty, but I won't hold my breath.
AgLA06
AG
P.H. Dexippus said:

AgLA06 said:

An over 55 community is a different animal than one which qualifies for subsidy based on homelessness, and where the tenant looses the subsidy if they leave the specific development.

I hope it turns out to be no big deal as far as crime and poverty, but I won't hold my breath.
Not necessarily. Definitely good and bad projects of all kinds (private or government).

I'd recommend doing some research not only about the proposed project, but other similar projects that have been around. Seems opinions have been about emotional opinion so far.
TXAG 05
AG
AgLA06 said:

Which one is that?
AgLA06
AG
https://goo.gl/maps/atBtDNLVn9ZovuqQ8
E
AG
One of those articles is from last year and the other is from May with basic info. I'm curious as to where the Campanile is actually going.

Those townhomes at Minimax & 610 are all a lease community starting at $3K, they are not for sale. MAybe developer got wind of the government housing going in next to it and pivoted to lease community instead of trying to sell each home individually.

I can't remember if the two plots sandwiched between the homes and Minimax is developed, but looks like it was going to be more homes in the same community, i'll check the next time I drive by.

Now, if this apartment community is going up at 12th st and 610, that would make more sense. That was recently cleared out and looks like they have started to develop it. This is the land next to the Forge USA plant.

TXAG 05
AG
AgLA06 said:

Ok. Drive by those all the time, never even given them a second thought.
Jack Klompus
AG
I-45
AgLA06
AG
TXAG 05 said:

AgLA06 said:

Ok. Drive by those all the time, never even given them a second thought.
Exactly.
AgLA06
AG
E said:

One of those articles is from last year and the other is from May with basic info. I'm curious as to where the Campanile is actually going.

Those townhomes at Minimax & 610 are all a lease community starting at $3K, they are not for sale. MAybe developer got wind of the government housing going in next to it and pivoted to lease community instead of trying to sell each home individually.

I can't remember if the two plots sandwiched between the homes and Minimax is developed, but looks like it was going to be more homes in the same community, i'll check the next time I drive by.

Now, if this apartment community is going up at 12th st and 610, that would make more sense. That was recently cleared out and looks like they have started to develop it. This is the land next to the Forge USA plant.

I'm more amazed they finally got that declassified from a brownfield.
Sea Speed
AG
How bad is the road noise at all those places? It has to be just absolutely miserable.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Rice rockets from 1 to 4am every night of the week.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I thought that's right where the Houston / Dallas Shinkansen supposed to go.

Whats the latest on that?
NCNJ1217
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

P.H. Dexippus said:

it's a travesty that this post got 3 stars
TXAG 05
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I thought that's right where the Houston / Dallas Shinkansen supposed to go.

Whats the latest on that?

Across the highway at the mall. Stalled for now. Probably looking for the next bunch of suckers to throw money at it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.