Houston
Sponsored by

Daddy's Chicken Shack

5,713 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ryan the Temp
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Daddy's Chicken Shack is having their soft opening, so we broke our "wait three months" rule and decided to stop by and see if it was worth having a new chicken place directly across the street from Popeye's. They are in the old dry cleaners on the NE corner of N Shepherd and W 11th.

At first glance, I would say the menu is not setup in a way that is directly competitive with Popeye's. The menu is almost entirely fried chicken sandwiches. They do sell chicken tenders alone, but you're not getting a three piece leg and thigh here. All items are a la carte - no combos. We ordered the Spicy Daddy, Waffle Daddy, one order of fries, and two drinks for about $33.00.

The chicken by itself was seasoned nicely with rosemary as an added zing in the breading, but had an odd uncooked starchy taste. I probably wouid not order the chicken alone (i.e. tenders) or in a sandwich that did not have additional flavors to offer. The Spicy Daddy was really tasty, with a lot of things I like, but it was unevenly dressed, so at one point I got almost all of the sambal in a single bite. The Waffle Daddy was simple: two waffles and some chicken served with syrup on the side. The waffle was crisp and fluffy and tasted good. Seasoned fries were nice and they offer chive sour cream as a dipping sauce (Yes, please!!!). However, the fries portion is probably too small for most folks to share.

As for price point, we expected we weren't going to see Popeye's prices, but it was perhaps a tad higher than we would have expected. I'd say a dollar more per item than I would see elsewhere for comparable food. Nonetheless, the price point isn't a dealbreaker.

My verdict: I'll definitely go back.

Note: They are cashless until grand opening on October 26th.
htxag09
AG
So another mico's or cookshack?
Ryan the Temp
AG
htxag09 said:

So another mico's or cookshack?
Not like Mico's - they aren't a "hot chicken" place.

I've never been to cookshack.
sts7049
AG
we have reached peak chicken restaurant
drumboy
AG
Interesting, I thought it was gonna be like Micos.

Anyone been to Chicken Cone? Other than Mos brother.
Ryan the Temp
AG
drumboy said:

Interesting, I thought it was gonna be like Micos.

Anyone been to Chicken Cone? Other than Mos brother.
They shut down months ago, but the smell of rancid grease was enough for me to turn around and walk out.
Dr. Doctor
AG
Was it really tatsy?

~egon
Ryan the Temp
AG
ChemAg15
AG
Just tried Daddy's Chicken Shack. $42 for two sandwiches, two fries, and two fountain drinks. Pretty expensive considering Popeyes is right across the street. The food was good but Micos has a better chicken sandwich imo. Every time I drive by Daddy's the parking lot is empty. They better be doing some serious mobile orders or this place isn't going to make it.
Irish 2.0
They're not. They're trying to promo the hell out of it on UberEats and DoorDash. Too many players in the chicken game and they price themselves out because there isn't anything special about them. It'll be closed by May is my guess
TX04Aggie
AG
Been twice. Once was free. Very meh…. Cookshack is my go too and while Daddy's is convenient, I wont be back.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Daddy's had two HPD cruisers and four police out front on their grand opening day. There were two customers cars parked out front at noon. I think that wins for the most ridiculous grand opening I've ever seen.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Ryan the Temp
AG
ChemAg15 said:

Just tried Daddy's Chicken Shack. $42 for two sandwiches, two fries, and two fountain drinks. Pretty expensive considering Popeyes is right across the street. The food was good but Micos has a better chicken sandwich imo. Every time I drive by Daddy's the parking lot is empty. They better be doing some serious mobile orders or this place isn't going to make it.
I think I've been back twice since I first went. Both times the employees at the counter seemed inconvenienced by my presence. Mico's has a higher price point, but I think the value is better for the amount of food you get. The trade off is wait time. I agree this place probably won't make it. I say less than a year.
Chewy
AG
I went there once for breakfast and was totally underwhelmed. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't out of this world. I don't know how they're going to survive with their menu and that location.

I haven't once thought about going back. I'll go to Popeyes or CFA for as good for half the price and time.
TXAG 05
AG
Agreed. We tried it out the other day, it was good, but nothing special.
Jock 07
AG
From what I can tell looks like their original spot in Pasadena ca is closed and the Houston one is the only one that's actually opened. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts for.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I don't think people understand the quality and quantity of food options in Houston. I can think of about ten places within walking distance of that site that I'd rather have.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
wessimo
AG
Popeye's makes a great chicken sandwich. Hard to justify paying 2x across the street for a similar product.
Ryan the Temp
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

I don't think people understand the quality and quantity of food options in Houston. I can think of about ten places within walking distance of that site that I'd rather have.
My new go-to place in the neighborhood is AL Quick Stop. They sell gyro by the pound. YUM!
Irish 2.0
Al's a great go-to.
BohunkAg
AG
ChemAg15 said:

42 bucks for two combos??? They are awful proud of their sh-t
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Member that time we charged $20+ for a bad chicken sandwich at Kyle for an entire season?
TX04Aggie
AG
While that is a visible and busy corner…. It is also a terrible corner to be on, so location alone makes it challenging..
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
That's not all that far out of line for independent casual food these days. Of course, the quality and quantity better be a step up from the average fast food drive thru if you're gonna charge stadium prices without a game to watch.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Hadn't heard of that one. Will give it a try.
Ryan the Temp
AG
So ... for funsies we grabbed dinner to go from Daddy's tonight (it was late, we were on foot, and they were open).

I had the Spicy Daddy sandwich because it was good last time. It still tasted good, but the piece of chicken was very small - like chik fil a small. It was just sad and pathetic for $11. Most new places get better in the months after opening. Daddy's is going the other direction.
BohunkAg
AG
Harry Lime said:

That's not all that far out of line for independent casual food these days. Of course, the quality and quantity better be a step up from the average fast food drive thru if you're gonna charge stadium prices without a game to watch.
Yeah...good point. I love to support the mom and pops, but it better be good. Hate to put it that way, but that's the way it is.
12thAngryMan
AG
I'm all for supporting local businesses and fine with paying a premium for good quality food. However, two can eat at Chick-fil-A for ~$20 and it doesn't sound like this place is twice as good...
Irish 2.0
12thAngryMan said:

I'm all for supporting local businesses and fine with paying a premium for good quality food. However, two can eat at Chick-fil-A for ~$20 and it doesn't sound like this place is twice as good...
Chick-fil-A's lemonade alone gives them the upperhand
Texan_Aggie
AG
Daddy's is good, but I still see us hitting up Cane's or CFLA more often. Maybe its just me, but I don't see the value in paying a lot of money for fried chicken.
htxag09
AG
BohunkAg said:

Harry Lime said:

Yeah...good point. I love to support the mom and pops, but it better be good. Hate to put it that way, but that's the way it is.
Why do you hate to put it that way? I mean it's the way it should be. People won't, nor should they, support a mom and pop that sucks just because it's a mom and pop. And any mom and pop expecting that shouldn't be in business anyway.
Irish 2.0
Drove by today at about 12:30 when I ran over to Longhorn Liquor and there were maybe five vehicles in the parking lot.
Panama Red
AG
Irish 2.0 said:

Drove by today at about 12:30 when I ran over to Longhorn Liquor and there were maybe five vehicles in the parking lot.

Very busy day for them.
Irish 2.0
I think three of them belonged to employees
CowtownAg06
AG
I love some Popeyes, but that location has to be the worst one I've ever seen. Two Sundays ago I ordered via the app to pick up. Took almost any hour total and about 35 min over what the app said. There were about 4 of us in the building all waiting at least 20 min. The Uber Eats guy said he hates picking up from there because they are always late.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.