Houston
Sponsored by

Do you use your pool?

8,266 Views | 68 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't want to derail the other pool thread.....

For those who have a pool do you actually use it? Wife has always said she wanted one, but I feel like it would be something that get used the first summer, than hardly ever touched again?
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We use the hell out of ours, but we still haven't gone through our first full summer with it.
DiskoTroop
We bought a house with a pool despite not necessarily looking for that. My wife uses it in the summer about 4-5 times a week. Loves an afternoon swim. I'm a once a month kind of guy for getting in. Now... The hot tub... Different story. That thing is awesome in the winter. Twice a week when it's cold.
Flashdiaz
AG
a lot during the summer. The wife only gets in when the water is 90+ in the big pool which is peak summer.

Hot tub is year round. Hot tub is a must for us that gets used throughout the year.
75AG
AG
3 months a year. Rest of time, look at it and wonder if I should install a heater.
cena05
AG
Yes, as much as possible. Have 2 small kids and it is endless amounts of fun and memories. I often wonder if we'd be stuck inside the house on the weekends on hot summer days or off spending money driving around doing other things. (although the pool upkeep costs plenty)
AustinCountyAg
this is where we are. I know our young kids would love it, but I feel like when they would get older the novelty would wear off fast. ......and the worries, ugh. I'd be a nervous wreck if my eyes weren't on them constantly.
drumboy
AG
Wife wants one but she'll just put her feet in and I'll be stuck swimming with the kids wishing I had my feet in drinking a beer. I guess that's not all bad.
cena05
AG
Yea, our oldest is 4 now and learned to swim at 2. My other daughter is only 7 months. The pool was already at the house when we bought it, but we put up a baby gate before we moved in. We don't always keep it up, but once the little one starts walking it'll go back up.

Honestly, we love it and enjoy the time we spend in it. I have two large cantilever umbrellas to keep the sun off the kids. I guess there could be a time my kids outgrow it, but my wife and I love just drinking beers and chilling in there.
billyjack2009
We've used the heck out of ours. Had a pool fence when our daughter and nephews were younger and learning to swim. We're in it every weekend during the summer. We're in it fall/spring when we heat it but rarely do the hot tub thing in the winter.

Valtrex11
Main house or beach house?
KDubAg
AG
We bought a house in 2019 with a pool.

TWO things I DID NOT want was a (1) a two story house and (2) a swimming pool. We bought a two story house with a pool. Glad we did. Wife and I use it every weekend in the summer with other family and friends. Our young teens don't care for it yet. We did finally install a gas heater for the pool so we can extend the swimming months.

When we were house shopping, I avoided this house for a couple weeks while the wife kept asking to look at it. Finally we did and the layout, location and price were great.
aggiedent
AG
Kids in the house vs no kids in the house.

In the latter case, quite infrequently.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I have two kids under 3 and we use it 12 months a year but it's small (10x20) and I can heat it to 104 if I want

Historically they didn't add value to your home, covid changed that
MAS444
AG
2 young kids and they are in it a lot! We were on the fence on adding it but am so glad we did. Definitely worth it.
EclipseAg
AG
We use ours a lot. Family gathering space.

Even when we aren't swimming, we enjoy sitting around the pool. In the spring and fall, we eat dinner outside whenever possible.
coolerguy12
AG
EclipseAg said:

We use ours a lot. Family gathering space.

Even when we aren't swimming, we enjoy sitting around the pool. In the spring and fall, we eat dinner outside whenever possible.

It's a regular occurrence for me to swim with the kids while my wife makes dinner. Then we all eat on the patio in our swimsuits and throw out our paper plates after. Hardly any dishes, no sweeping or mopping (kids are young) and sometimes we just skip bathtime. Plus it completely exhausts them for an early bedtime. Would really struggle not having a pool.

We had one growing up and were in it all the time till moving out. Our house was the place to be for all my friends.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
75AG said:

3 months a year. Rest of time, look at it and wonder if I should install a heater.
May, June, July, August, September, October

Aren't those pool friendly months for the most part in the Tine? I guess first half of May couldb e pretty chilly and latter half of October, but even taking those out, you have 4 strong months of hot summer.

Although some pools are almost miserably warm in Aug/Sept.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
75AG
AG
I'm good May through early October. Wife is good when it's 90 degrees.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Just fired up the hot tub!
Mr. Lahey
AG
Swim with my kids almost every evening after work from April-sept, well worth it.
Aggie71013
AG
This. For most people if you've got 10+ years remaining with young kids in the house you'll use it a lot. After that it becomes much less frequent. All of my neighbors have pools and none of them use them more than occasionally when the grandkids come over.
SnowboardAg
AG
Nm
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

this is where we are. I know our young kids would love it, but I feel like when they would get older the novelty would wear off fast. ......and the worries, ugh. I'd be a nervous wreck if my eyes weren't on them constantly.

Install a katch a kid pool net when you aren't using it.

(Stock photo)

We have a 1.5, 3.5 and 6 year old. When the net is on they have free reign of the back yard and we can pretty much ignore them.

I think I read somewhere that no kid has ever drowned with the net on and secured properly.

Preferred this to a fence that they could just walk around or jump over.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
75AG said:

I'm good May through early October. Wife is good when it's 90 degrees.

Ha, I hear you. Mine can barely dip her toes in the Pacific and has to take her time getting in the Atlantic.
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Just fired up the hot tub!

Would be amazing in this weather. We just struck out on a house with a badass pool and spa and I was 70% wanting it for the spa. I think I'd use the hell out of that October through May.
JSKolache
AG
I already pay 850 a yr for 3 neighborhood pools, have zero desire to spend another 30k 80k for pool at the house.

Would rather have newer vehicles, hunting/weekend property, maybe a beach house, etc. Until i have FU money i wont have a pool, is sort of my mindset.
DiskoTroop
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

AustinCountyAg said:

Install a katch a kid pool net when you aren't using it.

(Stock photo)

We have a 1.5, 3.5 and 6 year old. When the net is on they have free reign of the back yard and we can pretty much ignore them.

I think I read somewhere that no kid has ever drowned with the net on and secured properly.

Preferred this to a fence that they could just walk around or jump over.

We have a katchakid too and it's really nice for peace of mind.
AJ02
AG
We never use ours. It's just a big money pit (maintenance, repairs, electricity costs, water). I never wanted a house with a pool and it turns out I was right.
MrJonMan
AG
Yes. Worth every penny and if maintained properly it is not hard or expensive and most repairs can be a DIY situation

And agree, spa in the winter time is money
Lone Star Pest Control Service, Inc. Call for special Pricing!
Sea Speed
AG
Anyone install katchakid after the fact? How much did it run. I think we will need to get it.
pasquale
AG
if you decide to put one in I would encourage you to cut down surrounding trees.
TarponChaser
JSKolache said:

I already pay 850 a yr for 3 neighborhood pools, have zero desire to spend another 30k 80k for pool at the house.

Would rather have newer vehicles, hunting/weekend property, maybe a beach house, etc. Until i have FU money i wont have a pool, is sort of my mindset.

Can't swim nekkid in those neighborhood pools though.

Well, maybe once for a little while.
Post removed:
by user
Ol_Ag_02
AG
cena05 said:

Yes, as much as possible. Have 2 small kids and it is endless amounts of fun and memories. I often wonder if we'd be stuck inside the house on the weekends on hot summer days or off spending money driving around doing other things. (although the pool upkeep costs plenty)

This. For four months out of the year the weekends are great. Get up go for an exercise swim, put something on the smoker. Spend all day sipping cocktails and beer, while floating the pool or taking time outs to do some yard work.

Outside TV is on, we're out there all day.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.