Houston
Sponsored by

Another great Harris County Policy

3,423 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by FtBendTxAg
Ferris Wheel Allstar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Let them out of the jails and into the workforce, that'll keep em from murdering people

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2022/01/05/harris-county-adopts-new-fair-chance-policy-no-longer-asking-about-criminal-histories-on-county-job-applications/

Quote:

HOUSTON Harris County Commissioners adopted a plan Tuesday from Harris Attorney Christian Menefee to remove barriers for job candidates with criminal histories who apply for positions with the county.

The "Fair Chance Policy" was approved by a vote of 3-2.

The plan bans most Harris County agencies from including questions about criminal history on job applications.

"Study after study has shown that when employers ask the question of criminal history on the application, they tend to prescreen the applicant at that point and screen them out of the employment process," Menefee said during a press conference Tuesday morning.

The policy also prohibits consideration of arrests that did not end in conviction, disqualifying applicants solely because of a conviction, and mandates criminal history checks be conducted only after a conditional offer of employment is made.

"When you do the check earlier in the process, and there hasn't been a meaningful opportunity to engage the applicant, employers are more likely to screen them for their potential employer out of the process, whereas when it's done later, and there's more engagement by both sides, there's more investment in the potential employee and applicant," Menefee said.
Coog97
City of Houston is gonna City of Houston, and that's to be expected... that horse left the barn long ago.

These people now having control of Harris County is a problem.
Al Bula
AG
Letting the foxes into the hen house.

Sure would hate to see fraud or other negligent behavior result from this rule change.
StillNotAnAggie
Won't be too long before we follow NYC's lead.
Ag_07
AG
Easy, Rod said:

Letting the foxes into the hen house.

Sure would hate to see fraud or other negligent behavior result from this rule change.

Pretty sure fraud and negligent behavior are the Harris County way.
cajunaggie08
AG
I can at least see the theory behind letting people with records apply for jobs. In theory they served their time and paid the price for their crime. However they are slapped with a life long sentence of not being able to consider many jobs due to their criminal history. They all need to find a way to survive and often criminal acts pay better than the jobs that are willing to hire people with criminal history thus they tend to find their way back to prison and never get out of the cycle. I don't know if i'd let just any convicted felon work in a building with me. If it was something like sexual assault that should be an immediate disqualification.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
StillNotAnAggie said:

adds $ to my 2022 firearm budget
cajunaggie08
AG
Coog97 said:

City of Houston is gonna City of Houston, and that's to be expected... that horse left the barn long ago.

These people now having control of Harris County is a problem.
Governor Abbott was on-board with the idea, at least back in 2019. The Abbott running for the primary this spring may have a different opinion.

https://www.kxan.com/news/gov-abbott-embraces-ban-the-box-laws-to-help-formerly-incarcerated-texans-find-work/
Martin Q. Blank
Isn't there a massive worker shortage? Are they really having trouble finding a job?
Cromagnum
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I can at least see the theory behind letting people with records apply for jobs. In theory they served their time and paid the price for their crime. However they are slapped with a life long sentence of not being able to consider many jobs due to their criminal history. They all need to find a way to survive and often criminal acts pay better than the jobs that are willing to hire people with criminal history thus they tend to find their way back to prison and never get out of the cycle. I don't know if i'd let just any convicted felon work in a building with me. If it was something like sexual assault that should be an immediate disqualification.

Me, just put them in a "diversity officer" position or HR. Those roles are worthless anyways.
TarponChaser
NM
herb96
AG
I once hired a hottie, but then HR said no-no-no because of her felony capital murder record.
AGHouston11
AG
Criminals working in government jobs with access to many things - what could possibly go wrong ……
maroon barchetta
herb96 said:

I once hired a hottie, but then HR said no-no-no because of her felony capital murder record.

Tell HR to quit checking the Mugshawtys thread.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I wish they'd remove the barriers for white people.
maroon barchetta
Funky Winkerbean said:

I wish they'd remove the barriers for white people.

Check your privilege.
BBRex
AG
Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

StillNotAnAggie said:

Except that protecting your family or belongings will soon be added to the "violent felony" list.
maroon barchetta
BBRex said:

Ferris Wheel Allstar said:

StillNotAnAggie said:

Except that protecting your family or belongings will soon be added to the "violent felony" list.

SSS

[/Outdoors board]
MrWonderful
AG
FTR in case people don't read the actual policy....this just removes the check box for "do you have a criminal record", which includes arrests for charges that did not result in a conviction. This does not remove background checks, just moves them to being done after a job offer, which is how most companies do it anyway.

FtBendTxAg
AG
Yeah I don't think anyone actually read it.

But then again, what's the point? They get their hopes up, get a verbal offer and then disappointed after the screening? I don't get it at all.

I do agree there needs to be a human factor in these decisions. Somebody with a class A misdemeanor from 10 years ago, or a lesser felony 20 years ago certainly shouldn't be excluded from most jobs if they've kept the path afterward.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.