Opinions on Montgomery and Ben****er Subdivision?

5,390 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 27 days ago by Project Mayhem
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We want the hell out of Katy, and are looking at the area.

(Bent-water is what's humorously censored in the title)
UndergroundAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
* Ben Dover
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.
Jack Cheese
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.

He means too many Canadians
AggieStan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Racist
Harry Lime
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You might be thinking of the wrong border.
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Grew up in Montgomery, used to be a nice but down home country lake town now it's a higher class burb but still has pockets of lake town and country. Bent water is nice great golf nice club but a long way from anything. Lots of people who think they are rich but aren't nearly as well off as they think they are.
UndergroundAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jack Cheese said:

UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.

He means too many Canadians


Add Venezuelans now calling it Katyzuela!
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
if you dont like what Katy "is becoming", you might as well pack up and leave the Houston area all together. I've lived in Katy for 2/3 of my life and saw it go from suburb that still thought it was small town to another town center thats just happens to be mostly unincorporated. I understand if its too crowded for you, but thats just the way any Texas metro area has been trending since the air conditioner unit became affordable. You can keep moving out, but the growth will eventually catch you.
aTm2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Grew up in Montgomery, used to be a nice but down home country lake town now it's a higher class burb but still has pockets of lake town and country. Bent water is nice great golf nice club but a long way from anything. Lots of people who think they are rich but aren't nearly as well off as they think they are.
So...The Heights of the Suburbs?
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.
How about this, you tell me which quadrant of I-10 and 99 you live in and I'll tell you which quadrant you should move to escape the high crime of katy and get you a little closer to some bike trails.

Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Honestly, if you are seeking out a small town feel, it can't be anywhere close to a large metro area. There are plenty out in BFE all over the state however.

We are going through this in Manvel where half of the community is *****ing about a new HEB coming because "it will ruin our small town".
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
one MEEN Ag said:

UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.
How about this, you tell me which quadrant of I-10 and 99 you live in and I'll tell you which quadrant you should move to escape the high crime of katy and get you a little closer to some bike trails.




Southwest Quadrant (from 10/99 out through cinco, cross creek, Firethorne) is getting bad. Break ins, child kidnappings. Schools declining and overcrowded. Multi family housing going up significantly. A lot of people really don't know what's going on in Katy.
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.
How about this, you tell me which quadrant of I-10 and 99 you live in and I'll tell you which quadrant you should move to escape the high crime of katy and get you a little closer to some bike trails.




Southwest Quadrant (from 10/99 out through cinco, cross creek, Firethorne) is getting bad. Break ins, child kidnappings. Schools declining and overcrowded. Multi family housing going up significantly. A lot of people really don't know what's going on in Katy.
If you dont account for magnet and charter schools, Seven Lakes is rated as the 5th best and Tompkins is the 9th best high school in Texas per US News. So please tell me more about these declining schools?
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
7 out of the 100 "top ranked" elementary schools in the state as well (out of roughly 4,500)

5 out of the 100 "top ranked" middle schools (out of roughly 2,200)

Real dumpster fire.
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.
How about this, you tell me which quadrant of I-10 and 99 you live in and I'll tell you which quadrant you should move to escape the high crime of katy and get you a little closer to some bike trails.




Southwest Quadrant (from 10/99 out through cinco, cross creek, Firethorne) is getting bad. Break ins, child kidnappings. Schools declining and overcrowded. Multi family housing going up significantly. A lot of people really don't know what's going on in Katy.
Alright lets look at the rising crime of katy by comparing the crime maps of conroe (your ideal fatherland), Katy, and Houston. These are taken from trulia's crime map that is powered by spotcrime.com. Well what do you know, katy is safer than conroe! Note, those are all relative color maps. So they aren't saying that Katy is the Garden of Eden here, but that on a relative scale its negligble. I think I just save you 6% on moving there buckaroo.

Conroe:

Katy:

Houston:


Here's the deal, yes Katy is building a metric ton of apartments on the SW side of I-10/99 interchange. And more up north of I-10 on 99. So here's my take: They are all zoned to Katy high school, Morton Ranch, Mayde Creek or Paetow. Don't live in areas zoned to those schools.

But wait there's more! Because moving out to conroe is throwing you from frying pan into the fire. In a few short years there will be apartments springing up from undeveloped land. What you really want to do, is move to an area that where the high school map is fully built out and insulated from someone building up apartment complexes.

Like Cinco Ranch or Seven Lakes or Avalon. But those areas have rising crime and kidnapping? (**googles katy kidnapping**). You mean the weird kid who made one kidnapping attempt on a classmate and got the charges dropped is signaling you to move? How many car jackings on 45 is that equivalent to?


one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

UncleNateFitch said:

one MEEN Ag said:

You're going to have to explain what is so terrible about your Katy suburbs to seek out woodlands suburbs.


I don't like what Katy area is becoming, and the culture in Montgomery feels like a better fit for my family in kids. Crime, demographic change, density are becoming a factor. More to do outdoors, more trees, more space, more conservative. Montgomery schools seems to be good.

Not set on suburbs, would like more property if the cost was right.
How about this, you tell me which quadrant of I-10 and 99 you live in and I'll tell you which quadrant you should move to escape the high crime of katy and get you a little closer to some bike trails.




Southwest Quadrant (from 10/99 out through cinco, cross creek, Firethorne) is getting bad. Break ins, child kidnappings. Schools declining and overcrowded. Multi family housing going up significantly. A lot of people really don't know what's going on in Katy.
If you dont account for magnet and charter schools, Seven Lakes is rated as the 5th best and Tompkins is the 9th best high school in Texas per US News. So please tell me more about these declining schools?
High school rankings:

Seven Lakes, Tompkins, Cinco Ranch, Katy Taylor: 68, 81, 105, 149

vs

Montgomery High School (Whole ISD): 346
Magnolia and Magnolia West (Whole ISD): 323, 353
The Woodlands HS, College Park, Oak Ridge, Conroe HS, Caney Creek (Conroe ISD): 122,156,260,508

And take away the good parts of Conroe ISD because OP aint living there if he's complaining about Katy.
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm really not interested in spending the money to move into Cinco for a more pretentious version of the same ricefield where the only real difference is more high school kids have bmws.

I've spoken with people in law enforcement in Fulshear and Katy and they said the area is being preyed upon by child abductors. They're actively dealing with it as a problem. Some articles below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/neighborhood/katy/news/amp/Undercover-human-trafficking-sting-in-Katy-yields-13791608.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/katy/news/amp/Katy-man-arrested-for-alleged-year-long-sex-15770587.php
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any input that lives in Montgomery area and not Cinco/seven lakes fanbois? Or is it all just the Katy brigade here to circle wagons because they've been insulted?
Aggie71013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This literally happens in the entire city. Katy is no longer an enclave, but neither is the Woodlands or anywhere in the metro area. Also crime has always been here. Social media and 24 hour news cycles just makes it more visible to us all.
Aggie71013
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dp
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

They're actively dealing with it as a problem.

Regarding child rapists, gotta hand it to them there - that's shrewd policy making.
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
this is either an elaborate troll or the pandemic has made folks BSC
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I heard they were kicking around NAMBLAmsterdam kind of policy, but it was quickly defeated at the most recent city council meeting.
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggie71013 said:

This literally happens in the entire city. Katy is no longer an enclave, but neither is the Woodlands or anywhere in the metro area. Also crime has always been here. Social media and 24 hour news cycles just makes it more visible to us all.


I hear you, but with little else that attracts me to the area, no longer being an enclave matters. The culture in Katy has changed to a pretty superficial liberal Austin-lite vibe in the past few years.
MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An enclave?
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
MAS444 said:

Quote:

They're actively dealing with it as a problem.

Regarding child rapists, gotta hand it to them there - that's shrewd policy making.


Do all the Katy fanbois make jokes about child sex trafficking or just you?
one MEEN Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

I'm really not interested in spending the money to move into Cinco for a more pretentious version of the same ricefield where the only real difference is more high school kids have bmws.

I've spoken with people in law enforcement in Fulshear and Katy and they said the area is being preyed upon by child abductors. They're actively dealing with it as a problem. Some articles below.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/neighborhood/katy/news/amp/Undercover-human-trafficking-sting-in-Katy-yields-13791608.php

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/katy/news/amp/Katy-man-arrested-for-alleged-year-long-sex-15770587.php
You do you, but everything you deride katy for is going on to at least the same extent in montgomery county. Good luck trying to find your 10 acres of solitude out in Montgomery county. Its going to cost more than the cinco houses and their bmws.

And I would recommend finding 10 and getting an ag exemption. Or your just going to be back here in a few years complaining about how your property taxes keep skyrocketing, and track housing keeps getting built out where you are, and how the wrong demographics keep moving in...

MAS444
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never lived in Katy but I'm in the "actively dealing with it as a problem" camp! The "passively dealing with it as no problem" faction be damned.
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Maybe so, and that's why I'm asking. Montgomery is great as it is now, will it stay that way for 15 years before it becomes another Katy. I'm looking for a good place for my family and to raise my kids, not looking for a retirement destination.
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

Aggie71013 said:

This literally happens in the entire city. Katy is no longer an enclave, but neither is the Woodlands or anywhere in the metro area. Also crime has always been here. Social media and 24 hour news cycles just makes it more visible to us all.


I hear you, but with little else that attracts me to the area, no longer being an enclave matters. The culture in Katy has changed to a pretty superficial liberal Austin-lite vibe in the past few years.
BREAKING NEWS: Populated area that has people from all around the world relocated for Oil and Gas jobs has people that have differing points of view.

Why did you move to Katy in the first place? Did you think it was a suburban republican utopia at one point?
UncleNateFitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sad. You show so much potential and are even stating the point, but you just don't get it.

I'll try again slowly. Katy is changing from the good place it used to be. Does anyone have any experience with Montgomery area?
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know a few people who have moved out of The Woodlands and to Montgomery, but not necessarily because the schools are better, but because they are smaller. If you've got kids that want to participate in varsity sports, they have a better chance of being able to do so in Montgomery vs the two Woodlands high schools.

I also know a few people who moved up to the Montgomery/Lake Conroe area from The Woodlands and have since moved back because they were spending so much time commuting back and forth. Everything they wanted to do (or that their kids wanted to do) was in The Woodlands.

As far as outdoor activities, with the exception of actually being on Lake Conroe for boating and fishing, I find it easier to walk/run/hike/bike ride in a master planned community because there are specific trails designated for that.

Personally, I feel like the Conroe/Montgomery area is growing like unincorporated Harris County - meaning everyone is doing their own thing and their is no cohesion. It's a lot of self-contained small developments and strip malls. Traffic sucks.

With that said, if I wasn't so established with my life in The Woodlands, I would consider Woodforest. It's really grown into a beautiful development over the last 8 years. You're not going to get acreage there, though. But you can get a nice house (same builders as in The Woodlands) on a bigger lot for significantly less money (assuming you buy a gently used resale - new construction prices there are just as crazy high as anywhere else).
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
UncleNateFitch said:

Sad. You show so much potential and are even stating the point, but you just don't get it.

I'll try again slowly. Katy is changing from the good place it used to be. Does anyone have any experience with Montgomery area?
I don't get it? Katy is what it always was from the moment the first master planned community went up outside of old town Katy. There are just more people with less good lawyers competing against a 24 hour news cylce to hide the crap that always existed. I get its not what you like. You're wanting country living and thats fine. Katy hasnt been country living for 30 years unless you have one of the plots north of old town Katy that are about to be developed. But dont come here acting like the area is going down hill just because you dont like it. Its still a damned good place and there is a reason everyone and their dog keeps moving out here. Its just not the place for you and it probably never was unless you lived out here prior to Taylor HS being built
Last Page
Page 1 of 3
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.