Houston
Sponsored by

Layne's Coming to Katy

10,296 Views | 88 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by JSKolache
Diggity
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
did you miss the part where it was in Katy?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Diggity said:

did you miss the part where is was in Katy?
I certainly did.

But still. That's basically East San Antonio.
Frok
AG
It really bothers me when a restaurant serves nothing but chicken strips and doesn't have gravy.
PoppaB05
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

cajunaggie08 said:

jayelbee said:

cajunaggie08 said:

AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

It was in a terrible location
When franchisee/proprietor started building Chicken Express in that location, buried deep into Cinco Ranch with 1/2 of your customer radius being non-existent as it is Barker Reservoir, I think I face-palmed. Location, local demographics, egress...nothing made sense at all IMO.
I grew up a few miles from that location. I knew it was doomed from the start due to all the reasons you listed. I think that building has been a few different taco shops now.

It's actually been the same taco shop for years. It just changes names sometimes. Best tacos south of I-10 for real though.
Good to know. I remember going there a time or two years ago and thought it was good. I'm glad its doing well.
I presume this is referencing the taco shop that is near the intersection of Fry and Westheimer Parkway? If so, yeah, that place has some mighty tasty tacos.

They have the absolute best breakfast tacos. If you haven't tried them, you are missing out. Especially the chorizo. Los Balitos I believe is the name.

I still miss Chicken E though.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
PoppaB05 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

cajunaggie08 said:

jayelbee said:

cajunaggie08 said:

AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

When franchisee/proprietor started building Chicken Express in that location, buried deep into Cinco Ranch with 1/2 of your customer radius being non-existent as it is Barker Reservoir, I think I face-palmed. Location, local demographics, egress...nothing made sense at all IMO.
I grew up a few miles from that location. I knew it was doomed from the start due to all the reasons you listed. I think that building has been a few different taco shops now.

It's actually been the same taco shop for years. It just changes names sometimes. Best tacos south of I-10 for real though.
Good to know. I remember going there a time or two years ago and thought it was good. I'm glad its doing well.
I presume this is referencing the taco shop that is near the intersection of Fry and Westheimer Parkway? If so, yeah, that place has some mighty tasty tacos.

They have the absolute best breakfast tacos. If you haven't tried them, you are missing out. Especially the chorizo. Los Balitos I believe is the name.

Went to Los Balitos this morning for some breakfast tacos. They were very good. Disappointed that their dining room was closed.
rangerdanger
AG
I hit up the Cinco Ranch location. Never seen an iPad sitting out there for tips at a fast food restaurant. Dear diary, almost comical.
rangerdanger
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

PoppaB05 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

cajunaggie08 said:

jayelbee said:

cajunaggie08 said:

AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

Went to Los Balitos this morning for some breakfast tacos. They were very good. Disappointed that their dining room was closed.

Yeah Los Balitos is some good ****.
agz win
AG
Layne's has halal menu choices at the Katy location and my Muslim friends say their community is very happy with the food.
aftershock
rangerdanger said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

PoppaB05 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

cajunaggie08 said:

jayelbee said:

cajunaggie08 said:

AgCPA95 said:

Thunder18 said:

Yeah Los Balitos is some good ****.

They have a 3 breakfast tacos for $3 (maybe $3.50, either way super cheap) special every weekday. Different taco is on special every day of the week. 3 of their tacos is a hefty breakfast for the $.
NoahAg
Tried the Katy Laynes. It's is definitely >> Canes.
NoahAg
agz win said:

Layne's has halal menu choices at the Katy location and my Muslim friends say their community is very happy with the food.

Halal Guys is moving in next door to Laynes. Same guy has both franchises. Said they're opening 25 Laynes and 15 Halal Guys in the Houston area
cajunaggie08
AG
NoahAg said:

agz win said:

Halal Guys is moving in next door to Laynes. Same guy has both franchises. Said they're opening 25 Laynes and 15 Halal Guys in the Houston area
holy crap thats a lot of locations. Hopefully its not an over-expansion just for the owner's sake. But it's his risk/reward
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Katy Laynes is AWESOME.

Just ate their a couple days ago. Portions are a good size, customer service outstanding. I've never really gotten caught up in the Laynes vs Canes thing but Laynes has me won over right now in a big way.
AgCPA95
AG
The family and I went Sunday for lunch and food was great as was the service. They seemed fully staffed which in these times around us is far from the norm so that was nice to see. They did a nice job IMO splitting the old PDQ up into two spaces so hopefully that works for both Layne's and Halal Guys when it opens next door.
Mr.Ackar07
Two observations (granted its been over 2 years since I ate at a Layne's in CS):

1) I think the chicken strips are bigger at the Katy location
2) No potato salad
Post removed:
by user
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Two observations (granted its been over 2 years since I ate at a Layne's in CS):

1) I think the chicken strips are bigger at the Katy location
2) No potato salad

Definitely bigger than CS locations
Aggie71013
AG
Just had it for lunch and agree. Definitely bigger than CS. Overall seemed better than what I remember in CS.
GoAgs92
AG
No spicy sauces...bleh.
JSKolache
AG
LAYNES SAUCE

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.