Houston
Sponsored by

EZ Tag vs TxTag

29,169 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by aTm2004
Texas A&M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone moved to a TxTag instead of an EZ Tag? If so, pros & cons...

EZ Tag claims they can't show charges on the Grand Parkway in a timely manner. Because of this, there's no practical way to track your usage. They've charged my cc a crazy number of times since the start of the new year. They said this might happen due to these GP charges being delayed in showing up. But even trying to factor that in, I'd have to be using the toll road at a 4-5x rate of my normal usage to support these charges. And again... with their issues with showing GP tolls (my primary toll road), there's no way to really go back and check.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I've had the TxTag for years, never saw the advantage to having the HCTRA tag. I don't know if it will fix your situation, but don't think it would hurt.
Aggie71013
AG
Also us TX Tag and never had any issues. No reason to us an EZ Tag imo.
drumboy
AG
TX Tag because it looks better on the windshield and they don't charge when you add cars.

Only drawback was when I got a new CC and some charges were declined resulting in large penalty fees being assessed, instead of one phone call to HCTRA I had to also call the TX Tag folks and coordinate the toll fees being charged and penalty fees dropped.
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
aggie_sprt
Ditto TxTag. Switched from EzTag years ago due to all the billing bs and mistakes. In fact since switching to TxTag the only issue I have is EzTag not reading the TxTag sometimes, which was one of the problems I constantly had with an EzTag. Combined with the fact that I don't use HCTRA roads very often, it just seems to prove to me that EzTag is still a mess.

TexAg2001
AG
drumboy said:

TX Tag because it looks better on the windshield and they don't charge when you add cars.

Only drawback was when I got a new CC and some charges were declined resulting in large penalty fees being assessed, instead of one phone call to HCTRA I had to also call the TX Tag folks and coordinate the toll fees being charged and penalty fees dropped.
I had a TX Tag before moving to Houston. It worked fine until I bought a new vehicle. Prior to leaving the lot, we contacted TX Tag and gave them the paper plate info and then updated again when we got permanent tags. 3 or 4 months later I get a notice in the mail from HCTRA saying we owed $500 in tolls, late fees, collections agency fees, etc. Mind you, this was the first notice we received from them.

It took hours on the phone with TX Tag and HCTRA, including conference calls with both on the line. They both admitted fault on their side for the situation and waived all the fees, except that HCTRA still demanded we pay the collections agency. They said they sent multiple notices to my house prior to involving the collections agency, but of course they had no proof they were ever delivered to me. I never received any of the prior notices.

I refused to pay the collections agency, but they didn't back down and blocked me from being able to renew the registration on my vehicle until it was paid. I ended up paying just to be done with it so I could register the vehicle. It was infuriating, but not much I could have done other than taking to court, which would have cost more time and money...
MouthBQ98
AG
Both tag services have done sketchy things with charges in the past but they are interoperable generally speaking. TxTag is easier imho.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I've learned something new today.
I just assumed that the EZ tag was part of the TX Tag network via HCTRA and that it all reads the same.
bularry
i've had ez tags for years but wondered if I should change. I don't remember paying any fees for adding new vehicles recently..
MaroonDontRun
AG
I had many problems and found interacting with HCTRA really irritating. Most of the time you were talking to someone completely uninterested and rude.

I switched over to TX Tag and have never looked back. It is like day and night. When I call Tx Tag to switch vehicles or add tags, they are always friendly and courteous.
TXTransplant
Another TXTag user here. Never bothered with EZ Tag, mainly because it was my understanding (8 years ago, when we moved here) that TXTag worked all over the state, but EZ Tag only works in the Houston area.
schmendeler
AG
TXTransplant said:

Another TXTag USSR here. Never bothered with EZ Tag, mainly because it was my understanding (8 years ago, when we moved here) that TXTag worked all over the state, but EZ Tag only works in the Houston area.
ok, comrade.
TXTransplant
schmendeler said:

TXTransplant said:

Another TXTag USSR here. Never bothered with EZ Tag, mainly because it was my understanding (8 years ago, when we moved here) that TXTag worked all over the state, but EZ Tag only works in the Houston area.
ok, comrade.

I hate auto-correct!
Texas A&M
For the folks with TxTag, do the charges on the HCTRA roads (Hardy, beltway, etc) show up on your TxTag account in a timely manner? How long does it normally take for them to show up when you check your account online?
TX04Aggie
AG
You dont have to pay for additonal vehicles on eztag. I just added a new one yesterday. Ive never had problems with Eztag plus you get the discount on HCTRA tollroads as opposed to Txtag where your tag will be charged the cash rate.
drumboy
AG
TX04Aggie said:

You dont have to pay for additonal vehicles on eztag. I just added a new one yesterday. Ive never had problems with Eztag plus you get the discount on HCTRA tollroads as opposed to Txtag where your tag will be charged the cash rate.

It used to be $15.
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Noble07
AG
Get the tag for whatever toll road you use the most.

I made the mistake of getting an EZ Tag when I moved here when my daily commute involved the Grand Parkway. The reader often didn't pick up my EZ Tag, and for some reason Tx Tag didn't cross reference EZ-Tags roster of vehicles.

So I got all of these penalties in the mail. I called EZ Tag and they were the worst to deal with. Finally, I just drive 45 minutes to the EZ Tag store on I-10 only to find out that it was closed for some random glitch computer reason. EZ Tag acknowledged that I had an account and that they should pay the tolls to Tx Tag and waive the penalties, but they said they couldn't do it.

I know someone that knows someone high up at HCTRA and they were able to get it fixed. It's like a third world country over there.

For some reason TX Tag is all screwed up right now. They have no record of me driving at all in November - January and so I probably owe them several hundred dollars.
TXTransplant
They sent a email out a few weeks ago. Something about upgrading their system and there would be a lag in trips showing up in your online account. I'll see if I can find it and post the text here.

I have mine set up to keep my balance above a certain minimum threshold by charging my credit card, so I didn't pay much attention to this when they first sent it.

Quote:

Dear TxTag Customer,

TxTag continues the steps of transitioning to a new operational system. We appreciate your patience during this upgrade.

Part of that transition includes a new mobile-friendly website with enhanced customer service features. Some important information about these updates and how we're working to improve your TxTag experience is included below.

What do customers need to do?

When visiting the new website for the first time, you'll be asked to update your login credentials including your password before signing in. Then you'll be ready to sign in and check out our new account management features!

What's happening during the transition?

Toll transactions incurred from late October 2020 and into January 2021 began posting to customer accounts on January 11, 2021. As the system catches up on transactions that occurred during the transition period, many customers will see transactions from multiple days since late October post to their account on a single day.

Customers who participate in our AutoPay program may see multiple account replenishment charges within a short period of time to cover the cost of their tolls for the time period referenced above. We encourage all AutoPay customers to regularly check the balance of any banking account they may have connected to AutoPay to ensure there are sufficient funds to handle any replenishment amounts.

Late fees will not be assessed while we complete the transition. TxTag will notify customers via TxTag.org and email prior to late fees restarting.

Historical TxTag statements are not posting to customer accounts at this time. Once the transition of customer data to the new system is complete, you'll be able to view your past statements at TxTag.org. Issuance of new statements is scheduled to start in February.

Any payments made prior to November 18 will appear on your account with the date they were applied to your account which will not necessarily be the date your payment was made.

If you add a credit card to your TxTag account and opt in for AutoPay, your credit card will automatically be charged for any amounts owed at that time.

What changes will you see on the website?

Streamlined navigation to make your visit to the site fast and easy.
Ability to do more online from your desktop or your mobile device at TxTag.org:
o Assign TxTag stickers to specific vehicles on your account.
o Update your username for account login.
o Reactivate a suspended tag.
o View and track all correspondence and account inquiries.
o Add or update authorized users on your account.
o Use our improved live chat support.
o Register to receive emails from TxTag.

Advanced customer service technology that enables TxTag representatives to resolve issues quickly.

Thank you again for your patience during our transition as we work to better serve you.

Thank you for choosing TxTag!
TxTag Customer Service Center
htxag09
AG
I know a couple people who's credit cards expired and they didn't update it on the website's so their balances were exhausted. One had ez tag and the other tx tag. The person with ez tag called and had the fees waved no issue, just paid the tolls. The person with tx tag was told they couldn't because it's a different system or some crap.

I think that'd be the only advantage of ez tag.

We're past due for an upgraded tolling system.
AgCPA95
AG
Ol Army checking in...I've had EZ Tag since they transitioned from rolls of tokens you could buy at the booth with a personal check. I remember rolling up to the booth and handing them a check for $15.75 which covered your roll of 20 tokens of $.75 plus your toll for that run through the booth.

I've never had any issue on Harris County, Fort Bend or the Grand Parkway.
Kenneth_2003
AG
TexAg2001 said:

drumboy said:

I had a TX Tag before moving to Houston. It worked fine until I bought a new vehicle. Prior to leaving the lot, we contacted TX Tag and gave them the paper plate info and then updated again when we got permanent tags. 3 or 4 months later I get a notice in the mail from HCTRA saying we owed $500 in tolls, late fees, collections agency fees, etc. Mind you, this was the first notice we received from them.

It took hours on the phone with TX Tag and HCTRA, including conference calls with both on the line. They both admitted fault on their side for the situation and waived all the fees, except that HCTRA still demanded we pay the collections agency. They said they sent multiple notices to my house prior to involving the collections agency, but of course they had no proof they were ever delivered to me. I never received any of the prior notices.

I refused to pay the collections agency, but they didn't back down and blocked me from being able to renew the registration on my vehicle until it was paid. I ended up paying just to be done with it so I could register the vehicle. It was infuriating, but not much I could have done other than taking to court, which would have cost more time and money...

Id have probably taken a day off and made comments about that CF during open comment at a regular meeting of Commissioners Court.
drumboy
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Ol Army checking in...I've had EZ Tag since they transitioned from rolls of tokens you could buy at the booth with a personal check. I remember rolling up to the booth and handing them a check for $15.75 which covered your roll of 20 tokens of $.75 plus your toll for that run through the booth.

I've never had any issue on Harris County, Fort Bend or the Grand Parkway.
I don't think my dad had that but I remember that he always had rolls of Susan B Anthonys for the $1 toll bridge.

RightWingConspirator
AG
TXTransplant said:

Another TXTag user here. Never bothered with EZ Tag, mainly because it was my understanding (8 years ago, when we moved here) that TXTag worked all over the state, but EZ Tag only works in the Houston area.

I'll need to go and check, but I believe we use EZ tag and was shocked when they told me it would work on an Oklahoma turnpike. I know I've used it in Dallas without any issues as well.
htxag09
AG
All Texas tags will work anywhere in Texas, including ez tag. Don't know about Oklahoma
88Warrior
htxag09 said:

All Texas tags will work anywhere in Texas, including ez tag. Don't know about Oklahoma

EZ tag works on Oklahoma and Kansas toll roads.
aTm2004
AG
88Warrior said:

htxag09 said:

EZ tag works on Oklahoma and Kansas toll roads.
TX Tag does as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.