Houston
Sponsored by

Service Dogs In The Mean Streets of Old Town Spring

10,394 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jack Cheese
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://abc13.com/toddler-dog-attack-girl-bitten-by-old-town-spring-service-animal/9570848/

Pit bull in a little costume bites face of 3 year old girl. Owner runs away, blames child.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Madman said:

https://abc13.com/toddler-dog-attack-girl-bitten-by-old-town-spring-service-animal/9570848/

Pit bull in a little costume bites face of 3 year old girl. Owner runs away, blames child.

There is no such thing as a pitbull service animal. Any organization breeding dogs for performing a service know the issues with pitbulls.

100% this lady slapped a vest on her normal dog to abuse the system. I would like to hear what service this dog performs, and emotional support animal is not officially a service.
MAS444
AG
Here come the pit bull fur baby defenders...
Madman
AG
But guys, it had a uniform on.

Insert TSAGuard.jpg here.
cr0wbar
AG
sounds like a nice little lawsuit
WES2006AG
AG
Dogs shouldn't be in public places at all. Just another example of our society going crazy to bend over backwards and allow these crazy dog people in their place of business. The business should be sued as well.
one MEEN Ag
AG
WES2006AG said:

Dogs shouldn't be in public places at all. Just another example of our society going crazy to bend over backwards and allow these crazy dog people in their place of business. The business should be sued as well.
I don't know if the business had much of a choice here. Service animal laws are very strict and easy for people to abuse. If someone has a service animal, you can only ask the owner what service it performs. You cannot legally ask the individual to prove their disability by any means, or that the dog is certified.

Usually people try to call their emotional support animal a service animal but they are not the same. FAA and FHA rules make it super hard to stamp out ESA's going everywhere. They have given them legitimacy when they are nothing more than just your pet that you have paid $20 bucks online to state its an ESA. Luckily, after a pitbull mauled a woman (sound familiar?) on a delta flight last year, the FAA has finally banned ESA's. FHA is going to be way harder to overturn.

What this lady probably did, is that she knows she can't bring her ESA anywhere and has probably been asked to leave her ESA at home. So she just goes out and buys something that says 'service animal' on it and now she is protected from inquiry.

It gets hazier because there is nothing about using a service dog that requires a sign saying its a service animal. My wife has a service animal from the Seeing Eye in NJ. Their harnesses don't say service animal on it and honestly, everyone appreciates it that way. There no need for blind people to have to constantly be vetted by everyone in public for just existing.

Because of all of this, its super easy for people to abuse.

This lady is going to get the book thrown at her by the judge for pretending she has a service animal.
Madman
AG
WES2006AG said:

As posted above I bet the business is required to allow service dogs. I don't care if a business does or doesn't allow dogs. The owner is the responsible one in my opinion.
Madman
AG
Just thinking out loud. I wouldn't hold a business responsible if another patron attacked me randomly in most cases. For example I had a crazy guy(literally, probably schizophrenic) start yelling at me in grocery store a few years back and I thought it would go to actual fighting. It never crossed my mind to blame HEB.
bigjag19
AG
Madman said:

Just thinking out loud. I wouldn't hold a business responsible if another patron attacked me randomly in most cases. For example I had a crazy guy(literally, probably schizophrenic) start yelling at me in grocery store a few years back and I thought it would go to actual fighting. It never crossed my mind to blame HEB.

Work on your victim thinking.
bigjag19
AG
As to the actual issue, criminally there isn't much to charge her with unfortunately. But hopefully max punishment from that.

Civil side, take everything you can. Pain and suffering should be through the roof on this one.
SweaterVest
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

There is no such thing as a pitbull service animal. Any organization breeding dogs for performing a service know the issues with pitbulls.

100% this lady slapped a vest on her normal dog to abuse the system. I would like to hear what service this dog performs, and emotional support animal is not officially a service.
I'm no pitbull lover and I think its obvious that the dog in this case isn't an actual service dog, but this statement isn't exactly true. Breeders may not breed pits, but there are organizations that have rescue programs and I have seen at least one pitbull serving as a professionally trained service dog.
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

and I have seen at least one pitbull serving as a professionally trained service dog.
for a junkyard?
TXTransplant
bigjag19 said:

As to the actual issue, criminally there isn't much to charge her with unfortunately. But hopefully max punishment from that.

Civil side, take everything you can. Pain and suffering should be through the roof on this one.

The woman's dog should at least be seized and put in rabies quarantine for a couple of weeks. And then there will be a record of it attacking someone for the next time this happens. The dog should only get so many strikes before it's out.

At least that's how it went when a neighbor's blue heeler attacked me.
CW Griswold
-
SweaterVest
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

Quote:

and I have seen at least one pitbull serving as a professionally trained service dog.
for a junkyard?
Nah, from a very reputable service dog organization that primarily provides dogs to returning veterans suffering from various physical and psychological challenges.

Not saying I think pits should be used for anything or even have a purpose in today's society, just that I've seen reputable organizations train and provide them as legitimate service animals.
The Milkman
AG
TXTransplant said:

bigjag19 said:

The woman's dog should at least be seized and put in rabies quarantine for a couple of weeks. And then there will be a record of it attacking someone for the next time this happens. The dog should only get so many strikes before it's out.

At least that's how it went when a neighbor's blue heeler attacked me.

Or instead of all that cost and effort of tracking, they put it down as it's a pit bull that attacked a child
TXTransplant
I agree there should be zero tolerance. I think any dog that attacks a child and causes injuries like the ones on the little girl should be put down, no exceptions. But when I was bitten, I was specifically told they don't put dogs down after the first attack. Maybe the rules are different for pit bulls.

But, if you don't report it, then every attack is the "first" attack.
Diggity
AG
bigjag19 said:

An upside down lease and half bag of cool ranch doritos?
The Count of Monte Carlo
Never heard of this organization but they apparently have an update.

https://blog.dogsbite.org/2021/01/rescuer-flees-scene-after-fake-service-pit-bull-attacks-child.html
Diggity
AG
from your link.

This lady apparently has a long history of supposedly "rehabbing" pitbulls. Scum

Al Bula
AG
Pit bulls should be destroyed, and pit owners are all scum.
TarponChaser
Diggity said:

bigjag19 said:

An upside down lease and half bag of cool ranch doritos?

How much for them doritos?
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Colloquially known as the One Bite Rule or First Bite Free Rule
https://www.glenlarsonlaw.com/news-blogs/2019/december/understanding-dog-bite-law-in-texas/
Texas A&M
This is getting national coverage now.

Build It
AG
Can she be criminally charged with assault of a child?
Diggity
AG
Satellite of Love
The owner and dog need to be put down.
bad_teammate said on 2/10/21:
Just imagine how 1/6 would've played out if DC hadn't had such strict gun laws.

Two people starred his post as of the time of this signature. Those 3 people are allowed to vote in the US.
randy828
AG
You should see the $ Amber Rickles won in her case against Jennifer Romano!

Edit, they showed at the bottom of one of those reports $1.3 million...but they don't know if she ever paid a cent of it.
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
MAS444
AG
It was a default judgment - so the only thing she "won" was a piece of paper. Probably did not actually recover a dime.
Silky Johnston
"Isa a pit bull, mayne. It never hurt nobody, isa sweetest dog ever."

All dogs are nice until they rip your face off. Pit bulls just happen to do it more often than most other breeds.
lamivudine
but but my dog is better than most humans...you dog owners are weird.
W
AG
this is an awful story.

the picture of the girl says it all.

should be a slamdunk lawsuit, but the dog owners may not have much money.

good chance the restaurant's liability policy will have to be brought into this
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Hope their policy includes the "another person's man-eating dog came in" clause.
W
AG
it might have an exclusion for animals --- some policies do
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.