Houston
Sponsored by

Lake Conroe vs Lake Livingston

32,596 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Ol_Ag_02
agz win
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like space and hugging trees and Livingston blows Conroe out of the water. Driving up 59, you can be in your lake house from downtown Houston in less than an hour and ten minutes. Search around Wolf Creek Park and search HAR. com with 77331 Zip and waterfront properties.

And visit the Hilltop Icehouse at Point Blank good food and cold beer. The jalapeo cheese burger with onion rings rate pretty good.
JSKolache
AG
nonameag99 said:

Do they like Coke or Meth?
This.
Mas89
AG
redag06 said:

Well the fact that the Trinity now also connects to Lake Houston, via Luce Bayou transfer project, they both have flooding potential in and around Kingwood.
No worry. The pumping plant flooded badly before it ever got started. No telling when those knuckle heads will ever actually transfer water. Billion dollar plus engineering fiasco so far.
Chewy
AG
This may sound a little morbid but has the death rate on Lake Conroe over holiday weekends gone down or have they just stopped reporting them.

I feel like for a good five year run there was at least one death on Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. Sounded like a damn free for all out there every holiday weekend.

I know they stepped up regular patrols and checks so maybe that helped.
Furlock Bones
AG
as has been mentioned, Livingston is the better overall lake. Conroe is the better for property values and access.
Whoop Delecto
AG
TopFlightReject
Mas89 said:

redag06 said:

Well the fact that the Trinity now also connects to Lake Houston, via Luce Bayou transfer project, they both have flooding potential in and around Kingwood.
No worry. The pumping plant flooded badly before it ever got started. No telling when those knuckle heads will ever actually transfer water. Billion dollar plus engineering fiasco so far.
Really? Never heard that the pump station flooded. My old company was heavily involved in the transfer project but only through the H&H group.

Curious when that project is complete and the NEWPP expansion is complete what that will do to Lake Houston. We do some heavy partying up on the sandbars by Luce Bayou. Thanks Imelda and Harvey. lol.
Al Bula
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Hilltop Icehouse is Covid Closed. What are some good waterfront restaurants on Lake Livingston? This thread makes me want to day trip to the lake.
the wet deck is a good time. Oops, may also be closed for good
aTm2004
AG
I don't think they stopped reporting them because there are reporters who would jump on reporting any death on the lake. I think it was a couple of years ago when singer Josh Ward got into a boating accident on Lake Conroe heading out in the dark during a fishing tournament. Tons of news about it.

I think the GW and Sheriff are cracking down a lot more on the riff raff that was going on, and I'm OK with that. If people want to go out on a boat and have a couple of drinks, that's fine. Getting sloshed and then driving a boat is an issue.
aTm2004
AG
Ahh...the old Beacon Bay. My mom's friend built a house on the point there about 10 years ago and still lives there. They go over to the Wet Deck (or did) quite a bit and I spent time there as well when I was up there. Did you know Lynyrd Skynyrd played there years ago?
schmellba99
AG
Mas89 said:

redag06 said:

The pump station was only $28mm, the canal was another $50mm or so. Not quite the billion dollar range on that portion of the project.
agz win
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Hilltop Icehouse is Covid Closed. What are some good waterfront restaurants on Lake Livingston? This thread makes me want to day trip to the lake.
Waterfront restaurants on the west side of the lake are limited. Friends have considered trying to open one but economics are vulnerable right now and both counties with the lake (Polk and Trinity) are considered rural and poor. Still, Houston keeps getting closer.

A new restaurant you may want to try near Hilltop is Bullett. It has a Bullett burger that's good for around here although not nearly as good as Hilltop. It's the closest thing to a sportsbar up here with live music on weekends - although it too is suffering with covid.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
aTm2004 said:

Ahh...the old Beacon Bay. My mom's friend built a house on the point there about 10 years ago and still lives there. They go over to the Wet Deck (or did) quite a bit and I spent time there as well when I was up there. Did you know Lynyrd Skynyrd played there years ago?
This is where we've been for the past 7 years. Quiet cove, and easy trip to Pine Island for the party. Perfect.
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
And the Wet Deck burgers are freaking legit.
aTm2004
AG
If you've been there for 7 years, then you probably have seen or met them. Both of their names start with the letter S. And now that I"m thinking about it, they built it longer than 10 years ago. It was probably closer to 20. I want to say Beacon Bay was still a marina at the time.

Another fun fact since our lake house was near there and we made the run to the gas station at 350 and 3126 quite a bit...Beacon Bay was for sale once in the early 90's and my dad's friend made several offers to buy it but wasn't able to come to any agreement.

Also, for those of you that hung out at Pine Island in the early to mid-90's, do you remember Tom and the Rubber Duck?
Chewy
AG
A Wet Deck burger with a side of fresh fried okra is a solid ass meal. Especially washed down with a cold Shiner.
Seaaggie1144
Not sure about Conroe, but Livingston does have alligators.
Mas89
AG
Lol. Tried to send you a pm but you're not current. Google is your friend though.
And like any good gubmint project, after 10 years it's not finished and 3x over budget.
Not to mention what the dead Indians cost they uncovered at Capers Ridge.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Lake Conroe!!!
CW Griswold
I'll throw an effing wheelchair in the lake if the Wet Deck is closed.
Thunder18
AG
Seaaggie1144 said:

There are alligators in just about every large body of water in East texas
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Even the smaller ones:

AgFlyGuy
AG
Seaaggie1144 said:

Biggest alligator I've ever seen while fishing was in Conroe. But it was way up on the north end up by Stubblefield.
Burn-It
AG
A few years ago Conroe was almost dried-up. I understand that went on for a couple years. We visited the resort hotel for a business meeting and all the floating docks were sitting on dried mud.

I prefer Livingston for just how freaking big it is. Never feel crowded, even during July 4th weekends. I don't go to the lakehouse to go to a restaurant nearby. I go to get away from folks, bring friends, grill, chill, boat, ski, float, relax. Its a personal preference, but I can get twice the house, property & bulkhead at Livingston for half the price at Conroe.
AKA 13-0
howdydamnit04
AG
E said:

My parents retired on Cape Royale at Lake Livingston for a few years recently and we all loved it. They looked at properties on both Conroe and Livingston, but decided on Livingston as it fit their lifestyle much better.

Livingston is much larger and far less populated so its not going to be jam packed with people and boaters. They aren't big nightlife people so not having many restaurants nearby wasn't an issue. Price is much lower at Livingston as well.

The drive is only like 20 mins longer going from Houston so its almost negligible when you are going for just the weekend or vacation. Distance was never an issue until they would drive to Sugar Land to visit family, but even then a drive from Conroe is long as well.
My kids weren't gonna watch themselves.
E
AG
howdydamnit04 said:

E said:

My parents retired on Cape Royale at Lake Livingston for a few years recently and we all loved it. They looked at properties on both Conroe and Livingston, but decided on Livingston as it fit their lifestyle much better.

Livingston is much larger and far less populated so its not going to be jam packed with people and boaters. They aren't big nightlife people so not having many restaurants nearby wasn't an issue. Price is much lower at Livingston as well.

The drive is only like 20 mins longer going from Houston so its almost negligible when you are going for just the weekend or vacation. Distance was never an issue until they would drive to Sugar Land to visit family, but even then a drive from Conroe is long as well.
My kids weren't gonna watch themselves.
Just get them a puppy, they can watch themselves then...
one MEEN Ag
AG
Mas89 said:

redag06 said:

Man I just looked up that project on google maps. They are no where close to being done. Their website said it had to be online in 2019. Any idea when it'll actually be completed?
redag06
Besides the pump station fiasco, I was under the impression that it was complete.
TxAggieBand85
AG
Close friend has a lake house for sale at Lake Livingston, comes with a boat slip I believe. E-Mail me at TxAggieBand85@gmail.com if any interest. I have zero interest in this sale.
MAS444
AG
If it's listed, why not just post the link?
TxAggieBand85
AG
Because I don't know the link and did not do a web search. I just did a simple reply to the OP, would have done a PM if possible. If there is interest, will connect them.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Ohh. Google maps is saying a 2020 image is showing a hole in the ground instead of a pump station and no electrical sub station.
agz win
AG
OP, Let me give you some valuable advice to pass along and consider.

Regardless what lake they decide to pursue, keep in mind the wind direction. I face the predominant SE summer winds coming across the lake and it is such a blessing for cooling down in the heat. I look across the waters at homes facing north sitting in the heavy trees and know they're suffering in the Summer plus get the blunt force of cold blue northers in the winter.

Also, consider the water depth at your bulkhead. Shallow water is nice for small grand kids and has less damaging wave action during storms that can tear up bulkheads and boathouses and push debris far inland.

Watching the sunsets can be a beautiful thing yet it can also be an oven roasting you if you don't have some trees and shade and the lake glare can be an issue. There's something to be said about viewing the sunrises and moonrises instead.

Many waterfront lots are 100' wide or less. An option instead of mucking up your view with an ugly boathouse is to hang your boat in a marina or just keep it on a trailer.

Finally, watch for property tax rates, flood insurance requirements, and deed restrictions. The less, the better and avoid any properties that can ever flood.
nomadic_ag
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

ATM9000 said:

Lakes are where lower class people who climb to middle class go hang out and celebrate their wealth.

Where do middle class people that climb to high class go to celebrate their wealth?
Galveston Bay
Ragoo
AG
Boathouses are ugly?
Why would you go thru the expense of living on the water only to keep your boat trailered?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.