Houston
Sponsored by

Cypress, TX-Mexican Meat Market

23,763 Views | 146 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by The Kraken
MarylandAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zero affiliation with this place, we live in Cypress and I always pay attention to the Community Impact paper that comes in the mail every so often and pay attention to the new openings. I had seen some time back a Mexican meat market called Don Tomates was opening and finally had occasion to try it out.

If you head down Cypress-Rosehill like you are headed to 99, take a right where it intersects with Grant Rd, the place is just down the road after you make the right, it is a tiny place, chain link fence around the parking area, maybe 300-500 ft after you turn on the right, Their meat counter is small compared to La Michoacana, they have the red marinated fajitas you see elsewhere but they have these fajitas called "fajitas blancas" (white fajitas), they look like they have don't have much seasoning but they have been marinaded in something and are ready for the grill, on the advice of the butcher bought some, threw on grill when I got home, LEGIT! They have marinated and non-marinated short ribs cut just right for the grill, about 1/2" thick, bought non-marinaded seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning, pretty damn good!!!

On a side not, if you like tortas, most people mistakenly use bollilo bread to make them but the traditional bread used is called teleras, they have it there in the bread case.

Anyway, thought I'd pass it along, in case Cypress area Ags need a fajita fix and want to give this place a shot. If anybody else tries the fajitas blancas I'd like to know what you thought, I thought they were very good a different take from the red ones.
Jock 07
AG
MarylandAG said:

they have these fajitas called "fajitas blancas" (white fajitas), they look they have don't have much seasoning but they have been marinaded in something and are ready for the grill, on the advice of the butcher bought some

Sounds like those are fajitas de gringos. I can see why they were recommended
rednecked
AG
hmmm. Might have to go try that out. On a related note, is there just a plain old fashioned meat market/butcher shop anywhere in the area? Seems like a business model that has all but disappeared.
cypress-ag
AG
OP is spot on with this and wish he didn't share it because these are hands down the best fajitas. Tender and so flavorful. The White Fajitas are the way to go. Better than most restaurants period.
Larry S Ross
AG
Going to give this a try. Drive that way a lot and had not noticed it.
Good Day.
MarylandAG
I'm chuckling at cypress-ag, I had to share so the place stays in business, it is tiny, haha. I can't afford for the place to go under and there is plenty of fajitas for all , I hope. I need some place close to get my fix. Jock, for what is worth, my username has been the source of a few chuckles over the years, because people assume, hmmm, MarylandAg, he must be from MD and he is probably a gringo, in fact I was born and raised in South Texas, I just happen to work in the College Park, MD areas for 6 years when I first started posting on TexAgs, so what ever they are these fajitas are damn good from someone who has been around carne asada and fajitas his whole life.

Rednecked, unfortunately, I think you are right it is a dying business model and that is sad!!!

I've never been to this place but it is on my list to try way down Spring Cypress Rd, almost to 45, or at least in that area

Fisher Ham and Meat
www.fisherhamandmeat.com

This has always been my go to but its nowhere close to Cypress
B&W Meat Company
bwmeatcompany.com

If I go to B&W, I buy in bulk, come home break out the FoodSaver vacuum packer and stock up the garage freezer. What I like about this place is the short ribs because I pick the chunk of ribs and they will cut them any thickness I want. I usually cook over mesquite, hot and fast, so I like the ribs to be on the thinner side, just my preference. Also they sell a bunch of different kinds of sausage, even alligator sausage if memory serves.

BTW, I did see they are opening a La Michoacana, on Cypress North Houston and Huffmeister, in the same parking lot as the FoodTown, just down the road from Christ the Redeemer if you all know where that is at.
jswags
AG
Smitty's in Tomball is the only one I can think of
jja79
AG
Fisher meat company is solid. I haven't bought bacon anywhere else since discovering this place.
tylercsbn9
AG
Glad to see a good review. I've been wanting to try it out. Might go grab some meat this weekend. Guess it isn't too far from Bridgeland. Will be on my way to work whenever I start going to the office again.

What else did they have? Any agua frescas?
TxKng82
AG
Just drove by it yesterday and saw it was open . Gonna have to check it out.
doctorAg13
AG
B & W is down near my kids school. I'll have to drop by once school resumes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cypress-ag
AG
MarylandAG said:

I'm chuckling at cypress-ag, I had to share so the place stays in business, it is tiny, haha. I can't afford for the place to go under and there is plenty of fajitas for all , I hope. I need some place close to get my fix. Jock, for what is worth, my username has been the source of a few chuckles over the years, because people assume, hmmm, MarylandAg, he must be from MD and he is probably a gringo, in fact I was born and raised in South Texas, I just happen to work in the College Park, MD areas for 6 years when I first started posting on TexAgs, so what ever they are these fajitas are damn good from someone who has been around carne asada and fajitas his whole life.

Rednecked, unfortunately, I think you are right it is a dying business model and that is sad!!!

I've never been to this place but it is on my list to try way down Spring Cypress Rd, almost to 45, or at least in that area

Fisher Ham and Meat
www.fisherhamandmeat.com

This has always been my go to but its nowhere close to Cypress
B&W Meat Company
bwmeatcompany.com

MarylandAg, my post was in jest but they do seem to stay pretty busy. I'm ready for the taco shop inside to open up. The salsa that they sell by the register is also legit.
If I go to B&W, I buy in bulk, come home break out the FoodSaver vacuum packer and stock up the garage freezer. What I like about this place is the short ribs because I pick the chunk of ribs and they will cut them any thickness I want. I usually cook over mesquite, hot and fast, so I like the ribs to be on the thinner side, just my preference. Also they sell a bunch of different kinds of sausage, even alligator sausage if memory serves.

BTW, I did see they are opening a La Michoacana, on Cypress North Houston and Huffmeister, in the same parking lot as the FoodTown, just down the road from Christ the Redeemer if you all know where that is at.
rednecked
AG
jswags said:

I find myself in Tomball quite often. I'll look it up. A couple of decades ago I lived in Lufkin. They had a butcher shop there called Your Butcher, Frank. I thought it was a dumb name but they would smoke pork steaks there that were incredible! A couple of those, some white bread and a Dr Pepper and it was on! I think there is one on 2978 in Magnolia but that's a bit of a drive.
TXTransplant
rednecked said:

jswags said:

I find myself in Tomball quite often. I'll look it up. A couple of decades ago I lived in Lufkin. They had a butcher shop there called Your Butcher, Frank. I thought it was a dumb name but they would smoke pork steaks there that were incredible! A couple of those, some white bread and a Dr Pepper and it was on! I think there is one on 2978 in Magnolia but that's a bit of a drive.

Ainsworth Meats. Haven't been there, but I've heard good things.
jswags
AG
If you go, buy a couple pieces of their peppered beef jerky. Addicting!
kapon
AG
Smitty's Meatmarket and Smokehouse in Tomball.
Agz_2003
AG
Thanks for the recommendation. I have passed by Don Tomate several times, but never stopped in. I dropped in today to get some fajitas and also got picadillo and fajita tacos ($2 each) at their taqueria and they were awesome. The green sauce is addicting as well. Looking forward to grilling the fajitas! Will definitely go back soon.
MarylandAG
I was curious about the taqueria, will have to try it. I have only bought meat there, if you got the fajitas blancas report back what you think when you grill them. I just grilled them as they came, cut across the grain when they were done and damn they were delicious!!!!
96AgGrad
AG
Stopped by today as well based on recommendations. Will probably grill up the fajitas tomorrow. We need to lock this thread before they are $20/lb.

Agz_2003
AG
I enjoyed both the "red" and "white fajitas". I didn't taste too much difference between the 2 honestly. As much as I enjoy tender fajitas, they were so tender they were falling apart as I flipped them on the grill. Almost too tender for fajitas IMO. Having said that, I would buy them again, but at $9/lb, it would need to be a special occasion. I will hit up the taqueria sooner though
Hackberry
AG
Not in Houston but if you're ever west on I-10 check out Willie Joe's Processing. I haven't found a meat market that beats Willie Joe's. It's in High Hill, TX, just north of Schulenburg. The owner Paddy Magliolo, is a good Ag, meat science major, c/o 2000.
http://www.williejoesprocessing.com/
cuz-i-can
AG
Hackberry said:

Not in Houston but if you're ever west on I-10 check out Willie Joe's Processing. I haven't found a meat market that beats Willie Joe's. It's in High Hill, TX, just north of Schulenburg. The owner Paddy Magliolo, is a good Ag, meat science major, c/o 2000.
http://www.williejoesprocessing.com/

Good place...you might want to call him...i believe he is more busy now than deer season.
Larry S Ross
AG
Stopped by today and grab some of the fajita meat.
Good Day.
96AgGrad
AG
Cooked some fajitas blancas up last night. My wife thought they were "the best fajitas ever". I thought they were very good, but no better than most decent Tex-Mex restaurants. I would agree with all of the points that Agz_2003 mentioned above.
MarylandAG
I can see how the texture would be off for some folks, as in too tender. When I tried them, I cooked them well, not charred or burned but sufficient to "tighten" them up, if that makes sense. I have been looking for an excuse to go try the taqueria and the green sauce mentioned above. My youngest has got to be the pickiest eater ever and she couldn't get enough of them, her sentiment was like the poster above wife, " best fajitas ever". I thought they were good enough to post about them, a nice change of pace.

Off topic a bit, anybody try the taco truck (taco king) on Cypress/Rosehill and Huffmeister at the Shell station? I admit it, I got get my dollar taco fix from time to time. I dont care for the al pastor, I like the beef ones and their green sauce.
tylercsbn9
AG
MarylandAG said:

I can see how the texture would be off for some folks, as in too tender. When I tried them, I cooked them well, not charred or burned but sufficient to "tighten" them up, if that makes sense. I have been looking for an excuse to go try the taqueria and the green sauce mentioned above. My youngest has got to be the pickiest eater ever and she couldn't get enough of them, her sentiment was like the poster above wife, " best fajitas ever". I thought they were good enough to post about them, a nice change of pace.

Off topic a bit, anybody try the taco truck (taco king) on Cypress/Rosehill and Huffmeister at the Shell station? I admit it, I got get my dollar taco fix from time to time. I dont care for the al pastor, I like the beef ones and their green sauce.

Taco king is solid. Although I haven't been in a while. I used to live off meuschke but moved to Bridgeland last summer so not as close.

Something I found a few weeks ago...the shack sells pans of brisket enchiladas. Their burgers are decent but definitely over priced so I don't go too often but I got this family pack of their brisket enchiladas and it came with two sides. Sides were okay but myself and my son absolutely loved the enchiladas. So much so that I messaged the owner (he's the one that gave them to me when I showed up) to ask if they are permanent on the menu and not just to try to keep in business during COVID19. Well they are you just have to give him a heads up one day in advance.

I think it came with 12 enchiladas and two sides for $45 which I thought was decent with how overpriced the burgers are. He has a few other meal options that you can see on his Facebook.
96AgGrad
AG
Quote:

I'm pretty sure that's the place my wife goes at least 2-3 times a month. She gets the beef tacos all of the time. I used to like them, but I've had them so often I'm sick of them.
MarylandAG
Damn, I love enchiladas I'm going to have give the ones from The Shack a try. What kind of sauce are the covered with? Is it a chili type sauce or a red guajillo type sauce?
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

MarylandAG said:

Taco king is solid. Although I haven't been in a while. I used to live off meuschke but moved to Bridgeland last summer so not as close.

Something I found a few weeks ago...the shack sells pans of brisket enchiladas. Their burgers are decent but definitely over priced so I don't go too often but I got this family pack of their brisket enchiladas and it came with two sides. Sides were okay but myself and my son absolutely loved the enchiladas. So much so that I messaged the owner (he's the one that gave them to me when I showed up) to ask if they are permanent on the menu and not just to try to keep in business during COVID19. Well they are you just have to give him a heads up one day in advance.

I think it came with 12 enchiladas and two sides for $45 which I thought was decent with how overpriced the burgers are. He has a few other meal options that you can see on his Facebook.

Brett's Bbq on Mason Road in Katy sells brisket enchiladas every Thursday. $12 or a full pan for $70.

Saturday he has beef rib and pork belly burnt ends.
stevopike
AG
planning on going by today, I assume the have chicken fajitas also?

TIA
Jock 07
AG
stevopike said:

planning on going by today, I assume the have chicken fajitas also?

TIA

I heard that they do, also I think they make some really good authentic chorizo jalapeno kolaches as well
tylercsbn9
AG
MarylandAG said:

Damn, I love enchiladas I'm going to have give the ones from The Shack a try. What kind of sauce are the covered with? Is it a chili type sauce or a red guajillo type sauce?

Neither

It's a bbq sauce with shredded cheddar and queso from what I could tell
deadhead aggie
AG
just unexpectedly bought 5lbs of fajitas blancas from Don Tomates.....they were out of fajitas marinadas, so i asked the guy behind the meat counter what the fajitas blancas were marinated in.....there was an obvious language barrier when he replied, "Uno? Dos? Tres? Cuatro?".....i asked again about the marinade but got the same response.....there was a line of hispanic clientele at the counter, so in the panic and confusion, i thought i'd be funny and say "Cinco"......

we'll see how these turn out........
MarylandAG
That is some funny chit Deadhead Next time I am in there I will ask in spanish what they marinade them in. I expect the company line of "can't tell, company secret, proprietary, yada, yada".

When I bought them he was taking them out of some metallic container, to me it looked like a extra large instantpot, type device, who knows, maybe some type of mechanical marinater with a vacuum or something.

Daddy-O5
AG
Just picked up 8lbs for a small get together tomorrow. I'm counting on you OP.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.