Houston
Sponsored by

Salt and Pepper Shrimp

3,761 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HtownAg92
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I used to do a bunch of work over in Port Arthur and the golden triangle and really liked salt and pepper shrimp and wings. This dish doesn't seem to be quite the staple it is 50 miles to our east. Since this board has become the Houston food board, anybody have a great spot for some Port Arthur style salt and pepper shrimp? Bonus points if it is somewhere close to League City or Baytown.
fishag04
AG
Captain Tom's. It isn't on the menu but you can order it.
Unemployed
AG
Have you checked out any of the Vietnamese restaurants? It's called tom rang muoi (shrimp) and canh ga rang muoi (chicken wing) on the menu.
Seabreeze
Tookie's Seafood in Seabrook and Top Water Grill in San Leon will both make to order.
LE_Funt
AG
So I'm curious what others do. Do you eat the shell when you eat these or not?
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
I'm fairly certain there is no food item I want served "Port Arthur style."
drumboy
AG
RealTalk said:

Have you checked out any of the Vietnamese restaurants? It's called tom rang muoi (shrimp) and canh ga rang muoi (chicken wing) on the menu.

Best one is squid. Swap first word with muck
LRHF
AG
Can't help but these shrimp are amazing, can't wait for another fishing trip to the area.
JYDog90
AG
fishag04 said:

Captain Tom's. It isn't on the menu but you can order it.

Get 15 every time I'm in there.
AustinCountyAg
what exactly is S & P shrimp?
drumboy
AG
Here's the squid dish, muc rang moui (sp?). FYI authentic places might fry the shrimp with the shell still on so I always get this. Plus it's really good.

MAS444
AG
Vietnam's (20th street) is really good...though last time I was there it was kind of depressing there.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

looks like the pic below your post. Pepper part is not regular old black pepper. It is peppers and some red pepper flakes mixed with just the right amount of salt. The batter is closer to a tempura batter than a cheap popcorn shrimp batter. The fries are cheap ass crinkle cut with the same salt and pepper on them.
Boo Weekley
Didn't read OP...but my backyard. Next.
matthopp
AG
We just had JJs Salt and Pepper wings, catfish, and egg rolls for lunch. Definitely different than I what I usually see in Houston, its good, but it wears on me all afternoon.
JYDog90
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

AustinCountyAg said:

looks like the pic below your post. Pepper part is not regular old black pepper. It is peppers and some red pepper flakes mixed with just the right amount of salt. The batter is closer to a tempura batter than a cheap popcorn shrimp batter. The fries are cheap ass crinkle cut with the same salt and pepper on them.

This isn't what Captain Tom's salt and pepper shrimp is like. They just throw the shrimp in the fryer with no batter.
vansprinkle
AG
Is this like the salty shrimp dish you can get at Tan Tan? That's always a must order when we o there.
drumboy
AG
vansprinkle said:

Is this like the salty shrimp dish you can get at Tan Tan? That's always a must order when we o there.
Looks like it based on the menu picture. Do they serve it with a lime juice/salt/pepper dipping sauce?
vansprinkle
AG
drumboy said:

vansprinkle said:

Looks like it based on the menu picture. Do they serve it with a lime juice/salt/pepper dipping sauce?

No sauce. Just seems like pan fried shrimp with skin on and a bit of salt and some spice. You eat the whole thing.
Whoop Delecto
AG
Liquid Wrench
I've gotten fried shrimps with the shell under the batter and figured it was a mistake. Do people actually eat it that way? I know what shrimp shells look like in dog poop, so I just assumed we don't digest them either.
vansprinkle
AG
WhoopRAB said:

Eat with skin on... do you eat the shrimp shell? Does this include the tail? Are you from SE Asia or SE Texas?

I've eaten peanuts- shell and all, also soft shell crabs. Never heard of eating shrimp shells.

SE TX. I eat the whole thing, man.

One of my best friends from A&M is a Malaysian guy. When the Malaysian guy takes you to Asian places for dinner, you eat what he eats.

Edit to add that if they are fried crispy, the shells will crunch up when you chew them (even your shrimp tails at Papadeauxs, Toms, etc.). No way would I try eating the shell of a boiled or grilled shrimp.
JFrench
AG
Place I get it is tempura like with diced jalapeno,carrots,onion, and chili oil. No shells though.

Capn Tom's is just naked fried with salt and pepper. Just like the crab fingers.
expresswrittenconsent
vansprinkle said:

WhoopRAB said:

Eat with skin on... do you eat the shrimp shell? Does this include the tail? Are you from SE Asia or SE Texas?

I've eaten peanuts- shell and all, also soft shell crabs. Never heard of eating shrimp shells.

One of my best friends from A&M is a Malaysian guy. When the Malaysian guy takes you to Asian places for dinner, you eat what he eats.

Edit to add that if they are fried crispy, the shells will crunch up when you chew them (even your shrimp tails at Papadeauxs, Toms, etc.). No way would I try eating the shell of a boiled or grilled shrimp.

scrimp tails, corn cobs and apple cores is all good eatin.
HtownAg92
AG
I eat the whole thing, shells and all. Same with places like Mala that do a stir-fried prawn (not battered). Eat it all.
BarryProfit
vansprinkle
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

vansprinkle said:

WhoopRAB said:

scrimp tails, corn cobs and apple cores is all good eatin.
Well yeah, if you deep fry em.
HtownAg92
AG
The best I've ever had was in Seattle at Sushi Kashibi -- about half-way through your omakase they put this monster live prawn up on the counter to watch you eat.

Then they take off the tail for nigiri. While you are eating that, they are frying up the carcass which they serve next with salt and lemon.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.