Houston
Sponsored by

Favorite fried chicken in Houston?

9,908 Views | 96 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie09Derek
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone been to Barbecue Inn? My FIL loves fried chicken and his birthday is coming up.
Ag_07
AG
BBQ Inn is legit

And surprisingly their fried shrimp and stuffed crab is awesome.
RingOfive
AG
Cane's FTMFW!
BoxingAg84
La Lucha

Duck Blind
AG
Frenchy's
sts7049
AG
i thought gus's was pretty damn tasty
TulaneAg
I love Gus'
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Does anyone honestly not like fried chicken?
AggieStan
BBQ Inn- Go early! Plan on being there a While , chicken take a then a while to cook. But good. Place is full of "blue hairs"!

Gus- Very good also
Chewy
AG
La Lucha is outstanding if you want some other options and a really good meal.

If you want straight fried chicken at typical fried chicken prices then you're going to be underwhelmed. It's damn good fried chicken but it's not life changing.
TXAG 05
AG
Gus' is hard to beat
inch05
AG
different than traditional southern fried chicken, but BBQ Chicken in Katy (http://bbqchickenkaty.com/menu.html) is the best Korean Fried Chicken in Houston, no doubt.
AgCPA95
AG
inch05 said:

different than traditional southern fried chicken, but BBQ Chicken in Katy (http://bbqchickenkaty.com/menu.html) is the best Korean Fried Chicken in Houston, no doubt.
This!!!! Me, wife and kids chowed down on this stuff.
aTm2004
AG
I've always been a Hartz guy. Grew up going to the one in Porter and still go there on occasions.
Texaggie7nine
Max's
7nine
94chem
aTm2004 said:

I've always been a Hartz guy. Grew up going to the one in Porter and still go there on occasions.
With the Hot Biscuit gone, it's definitely moving up the ranks for destination outings.
ElCheAg
AG
The Korean fried chicken kiosk inside the H-Mart (on Blalock near I-10) is pretty dang tasty.
lunchbox
94chem said:

aTm2004 said:

With the Hot Biscuit gone, it's definitely moving up the ranks for destination outings.
Awww, man. Hot Biscuit closed?

I mean...I never went there, but it was my go-to suggestion when my wife and I couldn't agree on where to go out.
inch05
AG
Toreore (in H-Mart's Food Court) is pretty solid...but is still a step below BBQ Chicken.
RustyBV
AG
Jonathon's the Rub...has gravy & fries on top
DiskoTroop
aTm2004 said:

Glad to hear the Porter Hartz is good. We had a Hartz near our old house off Gessner and Kempwood but now we're in Kingwood and we're wondering where the good chicken was at.
spyderag06
AG
Holley's fried chicken Sunday's were some of the best I've had in the city. Closed down in 17 after Harvey. But he's opened a new restaurant and I think I saw where he's gonna start up something similar again
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
spyderag06 said:

Holley's fried chicken Sunday's were some of the best I've had in the city. Closed down in 17 after Harvey. But he's opened a new restaurant and I think I saw where he's gonna start up something similar again
it's called Davis Street

Sunday Southern Supper: 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
TarponChaser
Frenchy's

BBQ Inn and Max's are really damn good too. Haven't had Gus's yet.

And maybe I'm not in on the joke but is Hartz really good fried chicken or is this a bit because of them being in gas stations all over?
DiskoTroop
TarponChaser said:

Frenchy's

BBQ Inn and Max's are really damn good too. Haven't had Gus's yet.

And maybe I'm not in on the joke but is Hartz really good fried chicken or is this a bit because of them being in gas stations all over?

Idk about the other guy but the Hartz at Gessner just south of Kempwood is effin' fire. Not sure if they're not corporate or if the owner is going rogue from comparative recipes or what but their chicken is freakin awesome. Fortunately I still work in the area so I get over there occasionally still.

Also don't rule out gas station chicken... Krispy Krunchy chicken is exclusively in gas stations and they're really good too.
Boo Weekley
The fried chicken wings from Hughies W. 18th are large and legit. Just throw away the sweet chili sauce.
herb96
AG
Hormone wings? Chicken wings are not large all by themselves.
AgCPA95
AG
Supposedly the Brookshire Bros deli in Katy is also good to quite good.
chico
AG
1. Frenchy's 5th Ward, I-10 at Waco. Only bullet-proof glass and burglar bars separate you from the goodness that is their scrumptious chicken. Go on Sundays noon-ish for the after-church crowd....

2. Gus's on Washington. I was skeptical when they opened, but they're the real deal.

3. Better Luck Tomorrow on Yale. They occasionally have "chicken surprise" on Mondays. The only surprise is why they don't serve it more often.
BoxingAg84
chico said:

1. Frenchy's 5th Ward, I-10 at Waco. Only bullet-proof glass and burglar bars separate you from the goodness that is their scrumptious chicken. Go on Sundays noon-ish for the after-church crowd....

If it's not the Frenchy's location on Scott, it doesn't count.
HtownAg92
AG
inch05 said:

Toreore (in H-Mart's Food Court) is pretty solid...but is still a step below BBQ Chicken.
I love this place. Bring a hungry partner and get one whole regular and one spicy.. And some Kimchi fries.

So I have to try BBQ Chicken if it is a step above this awesomeness.

Al Aseel on Richmond is great and hasn't been mentioned.
Zydeco -- Wednesday fried chicken
Sam's Fried Chicken & Donuts on Heights
chico
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Zydeco -- Wednesday fried chicken

Damn - how did I forget them? They're on my list, along with Frenchy's, Gus's & BLT.
Zydeco is tremendous.
DiskoTroop
Tried Lee's Chicken and Donuts some time back and neither the chicken, nor the donuts were very good. Is it still there?
HtownAg92
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

Tried Lee's Chicken and Donuts some time back and neither the chicken, nor the donuts were very good. Is it still there?
That's what Sam's is now. I don't know how it was then, but it's pretty good now.
380sl
Golden Chick for the win! Only 5 in various parts of town now, but they just announced a 55 store expansion in Houston market.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.