Houston
Sponsored by

Coopers Old Time BBQ - Katy

10,864 Views | 74 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Ducks4brkfast
BoxingAg84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What a giant letdown this place was. I gave in to the hype and tried them out. Most of the Yelp reviews are poor and I see why. It was probably the most confusing concept for barbecue that I've experienced. I've been eating BBQ in Texas my entire life and I've never seen watery vinegar based aus jus BBQ sauce. Has anyone else ever tried this place?
Jack Cheese
AG
Waited in a really long line at the one in CS on a game weekend only to be told that they were out of brisket, ribs, and most sausage by the time we got to the front. A sign of some sort would have been nice.

Agree that it is convoluted. Maybe the concept works in Llano but doesn't seem scalable. Did not like.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I'm a big fan of vinegar based sauces, but I wasn't a big fan of Coopers. I've gone twice to the Katy one..
CyanideJenkins
AG
I gave into the hype and went to the original in Llano back in 2001. I thought it was so bad, I've never gone back since. Not to the original or any of its chain restaurants. I live a stone's throw from the new one in Katy. Do yourself a favor, make the drive into town and go to Truth BBQ.
AgCPA95
AG
This is disappointing to hear as I was looking forward to trying it soon. I had read a few mixed reviews on the Katy/Ft Bend foodies FB group, but you have to take some of their discussions with a grain of salt and then mob mentality can take over. Brett's over on Mason is the only BBQ in Katy that I would describe as great, but the parking is a disaster even if trying to pick up stuff to go.

Aggie71013
AG
Parents had the same feedback about the one in College Station. I second the suggestion of Brett's. It's my go to in Katy and is worth it even with the poor parking. They do sell out so I suggest going early.
southernskies
Went to the one in Llano a couple weeks ago. Will never go back. I can make better BBQ on an Old Smokey.

I had to use a steak knife to cut the beef ribs, not a joke. It had the toughness of a medium cooked sirloin steak and the BBQ sauce had the consistency of water.

$38 that I will never get back.
Texaggie7nine
Quote:

I've been eating BBQ in Texas my entire life and I've never seen watery vinegar based aus jus BBQ sauce.
That is the style of the Southeast, but they use pork, not beef.
7nine
drumboy
AG
Man, I'm in the minority here because I enjoyed my lunch there a few weeks ago. Only had brisket and it was good and I like the vinegar sauce and mac & cheese was on point. Been to the Llano one twice and thought it was good as well.

Brett's is really good, as is Truth and Pinkerton's which are close to the house so I go there more often.
cgarcia23147
Agree. We went there the first week they were open and haven't been back since. I'll continue to hit up Brett's on Mason Rd.

Ragoo
AG
The one in new Braunfels is awful.
Liquid Wrench
So I can delete Cooper's from my Texas Monthly BBQ tour of Texas?
bigjag19
AG
I wasn't overly impressed in CS. High prices but not high food.

Pappas bbq is about as good. There. I said it.
Smokedraw01
I'll continue to drive to Roegel's.
drumboy
AG
I wasn't expecting Bretts/Roegels/Truth level so I wasn't disappointed. It was much better than Rudy's so I was happy.
lne2011
AG
Went a couple of weeks ago, not impressed for the price I paid.

I'd rather go to Midway BBQ where I can get my average BBQ for cheaper.
aftershock
Cooper's was an overwhelming let down, especially for the price we paid. It was high "craft bbq" prices for a very subpar product.

Brett's on the other hand, is the tits. It's worth the price and worth fighting for a parking spot.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Between Kreuz and Coopers that's two huge investments into CS BBQ that are likely to fail miserably.
Liquid Wrench
If yall would actually read my free investors newsletter, you would see I've been trying to warn about the Central Texas BBQ bubble for years now.
JSKolache
AG
Bretts
Mookie
AG
The only thing redeeming at any coopers is the big chop. Have been going to the llano one for 25 years and that's the only thing I have gotten more than once.
Tom Hagen
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Between Kreuz and Coopers that's two huge investments into CS BBQ that are likely to fail miserably.
Neither are the "low and slow" bbq that most people are used to.
drumboy
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

I did have my worst 'overpriced craft Q that tastes like shlt' experience at Kreuz Market in Lockhart several years ago....
Jack Cheese
AG
Tom Hagen said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

Really? What are they doing if not low and slow?
halibut sinclair
Gig-Em2003 said:

Cooper's in CS is always busy.
vansprinkle
AG
drumboy said:

Man, I'm in the minority here because I enjoyed my lunch there a few weeks ago. Only had brisket and it was good and I like the vinegar sauce and mac & cheese was on point. Been to the Llano one twice and thought it was good as well.

Brett's is really good, as is Truth and Pinkerton's which are close to the house so I go there more often.

I've been to the one on Llano a couple times and have enjoyed it. It is pricey, but 20 min from my parents place so it's a place we will all go if we don't feel like cooking lunch. I've been excited about the Katy one opening up but have held off due to the poor reviews. I figure I'll give them a couple months to get everything dialed in before putting them to the test.
MelvinUdall
I think their BBQ is good, I didn't even try their sauce, so I can't comment on that aspect.
BoxingAg84
AgCPA95 said:

This is disappointing to hear as I was looking forward to trying it soon. I had read a few mixed reviews on the Katy/Ft Bend foodies FB group, but you have to take some of their discussions with a grain of salt and then mob mentality can take over. Brett's over on Mason is the only BBQ in Katy that I would describe as great, but the parking is a disaster even if trying to pick up stuff to go.

Thanks for the heads up on Brett's. I actually pass by them all the time. I'll be sure to give them a try. I honestly thought all Katy had to choose from was Harris County Smokehouse, Red River, Rudy's, Cooper's and Spring Creek.
Furlock Bones
AG
i live in Austin and hunt in the western part of the hill country. the downtown Austin location i treat like any city bbq place and don't expect much. some times it surprises to the upside. usually it's just good enough.

as for the Llano location, i've basically gotten to the point that i won't stop there anymore. the last 3 times i've been the salt level of the meat has been such that it was almost inedible. i even had a coworker with me last time, and he could not finish his beef ribs due to the salt levels.
jja79
AG
Jack Cheese said:

Tom Hagen said:

Gig-Em2003 said:

Really? What are they doing if not low and slow?
Over direct fire. It's just different than what a lot of people are used to. Brisket cooked that way isn't good in my opinion so when I have been to the Cooper's in CS I order prime rib, pork chop, sausage and chicken. I like the vinegary sop because it reminds me of Mac's in Brady back in the day.
Bucketrunner
Mmmmm. Miss McBee's cabrito. The cabrito at the CS Cooper's is pretty darn good.
Jack Cheese
AG
Wow, I never knew any self-respecting BBQ joint (much less one on the BBQ tour like Cooper's) would basically grill their brisket.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Who eats BBQ with sauce?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
jja79
AG
That's why I never get their brisket. I haven't been to their Katy store but have been to Llano and CS.
drumboy
AG
In related news, looks like Corkys closed down. I never tried it but wanted to someday.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.