Houston
Sponsored by

Verdict is in for the "upstream" Barker and Addicks Reservoirs case

16,041 Views | 128 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Jack Klompus
combat wombat™
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wonder why anyone thinks it is okay for the government to build a structure that will cause damage to private property (even if, at the time it was built, that private property was rural farmland/undeveloped land) when it operates as designed. If I change my property and those changes cause my neighbor to flood, I am liable. They should be required to buy the entire area of the designed flood pool... or compensate you if you are damaged as a result of their structure operating precisely as intended.

I live north of the Addicks reservoir... I can walk right into it in less than a mile if I follow a "creek" (a glorified drainage ditch). My home sits at 112.5 ft above sea level. The "top of dam" is 119.6 feet. The top of the "emergency spillway crest elevation" is 108.9 feet. My husband and I are extremely careful not to buy in floodplains. Even if we don't need it, we buy flood insurance. But you'd better bet we were worried in the days after Harvey... as the water within the flood pool rose. Water came up through the storm drains in the street in front of our home but stopped just above the edge of the curb. However, we did not flood. None of the homes in our subdivision flooded, but a lot of people had to leave their homes by boat.

I still don't know with 100% certainty that we are NOT in the flood pool, as designed. On the maps in this article, we are outside of the "edge of reservoir". Everyone knew Houston's reservoirs would flood - except for the people who bought homes inside them.

We have never flooded and we built our home.

Location and Pool Elevations of Houston Area Reservoirs, Addicks and Barker
schmellba99
AG
Body By Fisher said:

Quote:

If they weren't informed, which apparently they were not, there may be some recourse, but it should be limited given the information we have available to us and the COMMON SENSE that should have been used when looking at purchasing, developing, etc. As I stated earlier - at some point you as the purchaser/owner have to assume some risk, and considering the geography of coastal Texas
Let's think about what you just said for a second. How many home lots within 2 hours of the Texas coast would not be at some risk of flooding with that much rain? Take a look at the damage maps for different flood events over just the last decade - common sense isn't going to guarantee anyone safety by pinpointing a spot that has not flooded in the previous 20-30 years. Development is constantly changing the landscape, which is independent of predicting unprecedented rainfall.

Humans build on or near flood control structures all over the world and have since the dawn of civilization.
I've stated multiple times that anything south of I-10 should be considered a zone where potential flooding is possible. And you should, as a responsible human being and home owner, do your due diligence as a result.

The Brazos river is 7 miles from where I live. Oyster Creek is about 5 miles from where I live. My house isn't in a 100 year flood plain. My slab elevation is raised to be 18" above the 100 year flood plain. And I still buy flood insurance - because it's cheap and because I live on the Texas gulf coast and it's frankly stupid not to.

There are no guarantees for anything. Which is why lawsuits that are essentially lawsuits that are filed because people thought there were guarantees should be tossed IMO. Throw in a literally once in a lifetime storm that broke every record known to man along this coast and you further erode any "guarantees".

Throw in "building inside the levees of a man made reservoir created specifically to hold water in a flood event to hopefully protect the downstream assets (City of Houston)" and I just don't have the feels that somehow the government (read: taxpayers) should be on the hook. I truly empathize with those that were flooded out - I really do. It sucks, and I can't imagine how bad it sucks. But that also doesn't mean that the rest of us should subsidize the cost of what I view to be poor decisions or lack of research prior to making said decisions.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
There are two issues being discussed here:

1. Was it a stupid decision to build homes within the flood pool? (Maybe/maybe not).

2. Was there a taking?

You don't need to answer question one to help determine the answer to question 2.

In other words, I've been kicking around the idea of buying some acreage in Grimes County. Some of which falls pretty close to the proposed High Speed Rail route. There is a small chance I could buy property, some which the HSR could take from me via eminent domain.

Let's say they take a 40-yard wide swath of the property I buy for their project. People can't then say, well you knew (or should have known) there was a chance this would occur, so you get zero compensation for the taking.
JJxvi
AG

Quote:

I've stated multiple times that anything south of I-10 should be considered a zone where potential flooding is possible. And you should, as a responsible human being and home owner, do your due diligence as a result.

The Brazos river is 7 miles from where I live. Oyster Creek is about 5 miles from where I live. My house isn't in a 100 year flood plain. My slab elevation is raised to be 18" above the 100 year flood plain. And I still buy flood insurance - because it's cheap and because I live on the Texas gulf coast and it's frankly stupid not to.

There are no guarantees for anything. Which is why lawsuits that are essentially lawsuits that are filed because people thought there were guarantees should be tossed IMO. Throw in a literally once in a lifetime storm that broke every record known to man along this coast and you further erode any "guarantees".

Throw in "building inside the levees of a man made reservoir created specifically to hold water in a flood event to hopefully protect the downstream assets (City of Houston)" and I just don't have the feels that somehow the government (read: taxpayers) should be on the hook. I truly empathize with those that were flooded out - I really do. It sucks, and I can't imagine how bad it sucks. But that also doesn't mean that the rest of us should subsidize the cost of what I view to be poor decisions or lack of research prior to making said decisions.
You build the perfect case against those who are suing downstream. And you are right, their flood was caused by an event that overwhelmed the capacity of flood control (that normally benefits them) by the nature of the storm, and that risk was always there. They have a very weak case, and those that did not have flood insurance, should have.

Those upstream were impacted because of the design of a structure built by a downstream property owner.

The ACoE always intended to flood their property in an extreme event, and more than that, they intend to flood their property in perpetuity every time an event like this happens into the future also. They never paid for that right. They dont legally have that right. They owe compensation.
JJxvi
AG
That its the "taxpayer" that owes them sucks, but its the "taxpayer" that avoided buying the right to flood this land in the first place. The government does not have immunity to take whatever rights it wants from property owners just on its say so nor on a technicality ("We technically stole these rights from the farmers, that sold to developers, that sold to another homeowner, that sold it to you! Sucks for you that you bought from those guys! Hahahaha! Should'a looked at a map!"). If they want property rights, they have to compensate the owner for those rights in accordance with the 5th amendment.
TarponChaser
schmellba99 said:

TarponChaser said:

CDUB98 said:

Have you not been paying attention to what I have been writing?

The homeowners CHOSE to purchase a home in the flood pool of a damn. They took a risk, and now they want the gov't to pay for their own riskiness.

There is no inherent risk in your other scenario.

But, you only see victims that must get paid for their own choices, so we need not go further.

Did they know they were in the flood pool? I legitimately don't know but I seem to recall it being said that many buyers didn't know because it was never disclosed to them and 99% of home buyers aren't going to be informed enough to know or even ask.

If it was never disclosed to them I'd argue the government should pay.
A simple look at a map tells you that you are. It really isn't rocket science.

How so? I mean, you can be a couple miles inside the reservoir dam and not listed as being in even the 500-year flood plain and so if it's not disclosed that you're inside the pool how would you know?

Is the elevation of the dam on your closing docs? I know your home survey should have the elevation of your slab but there were houses 5+ miles away inside the Addicks Dam that flooded because they were in the pool and it wasn't disclosed.
Caliber
AG
schmellba99 said:

Body By Fisher said:

Throw in "building inside the levees of a man made reservoir created specifically to hold water in a flood event to hopefully protect the downstream assets (City of Houston)" and I just don't have the feels that somehow the government (read: taxpayers) should be on the hook. I truly empathize with those that were flooded out - I really do. It sucks, and I can't imagine how bad it sucks. But that also doesn't mean that the rest of us should subsidize the cost of what I view to be poor decisions or lack of research prior to making said decisions

The issue is that the ultimate poor decision making skills are actually on the side of USACE here (on behalf of the taxpayers), not the homeowners...

Let's simplify and pretend the original pre-dam owner(s) still owned it all and had a ranching operation there as expected by USACE. Hundreds of cows died due to the water being impounded on the land without them be able to get them out in time...

Is that person owed any compensation?
JJxvi
AG
Nobody ever answered my hypothetical of whether they think the owners should be owed compensation if the flooding was caused by an impoundment structure built and owned by a private company or utility either.
Bondag
AG
JJxvi said:

Nobody ever answered my hypothetical of whether they think the owners should be owed compensation if the flooding was caused by an impoundment structure built and owned by a private company or utility either.
When was the structure built?
JJxvi
AG
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3083601/replies/55644231
Bondag
AG
JJxvi said:

https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3083601/replies/55644231
I would not. That was a known risk at the time.

If you want to say Harris County should not have issued a building permit and kept it as agricultural lands I would not argue with you. Developers saw cheap land and little risk and built $30,0000 homes in the 70's and 80's and are now long gone.
JJxvi
AG
Lol. And so what about Brad's hypothetical where it killed cows on the original owner's lands. Would those original owners have any recourse? What is your time limit before their personal survey squads (which obviously any prudent person seems to need, in order to be continuously aware of any risks that might be cropping up) who are out policing all property changes for miles around their property, have to notice the problem and bring it up?

What about if they try to sell their land and all the sharp guys like you refuse to buy it, do they have any recourse against the dam owner then?

The real world answer to what happens in all these questions is "The affected land owner will be awarded compensation and/or relief"
JSKolache
AG
Brad06ag said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

If it was never disclosed to them I'd argue the government should pay.

I fully agree with the idea that it should have been disclosed to them. The responsible parties in that case are the developers, realtors, and title companies.

However, current rules did not require it, which sucks. That is why homeowners need to do some of the work themselves.

Quote:

If it was never disclosed to them I'd argue the government developers, realtors, and title companies should pay.

If anyone should pay, it should be them for not disclosing, but unfortunately, as someone previously pointed out, many of them are long gone; especially the developers.
This is all caused by the government not buying land they intended to flood. The height of the damn constructed is indicative of what they intended to flood.

Not allowing development would be a taking by the government as well. Do you think its OK for the government to step in and not allow use of your land with no compensation?

Everyone just decided to kick the can down the road instead of ever dealing with it. They just hoped to pass the bag around and not be the one left holding it when it did eventually flood.

USACE should have purchased all the land that could have been flooded or built a smaller dam if "they never though it could possibly flood". They knew it flood that bad or else their design case would have been different.
TANGENT - this is exactly the same thing happening with the Social Security program. Consider yourself warned amd save on your own.
TriAg2010
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

There are two issues being discussed here:

1. Was it a stupid decision to build homes within the flood pool? (Maybe/maybe not).

2. Was there a taking?

You don't need to answer question one to help determine the answer to question 2.

In other words, I've been kicking around the idea of buying some acreage in Grimes County. Some of which falls pretty close to the proposed High Speed Rail route. There is a small chance I could buy property, some which the HSR could take from me via eminent domain.

Let's say they take a 40-yard wide swath of the property I buy for their project. People can't then say, well you knew (or should have known) there was a chance this would occur, so you get zero compensation for the taking.

Expertly said, IMO.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Downstream case dismissed today. Flooding via Act of God.
JJxvi
AG
Fascinating...
AlaskanAg99
AG
Sort of a "No ****" moment. Upstream still has a case, so that'll be interesting for those within the pool zone.
JJxvi
AG
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Hurricane-Harvey-lawsuit-upstream-downstream-win-15071315.php
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Appeals court reversed and remanded the downstream case's lower court ruling.

They live to see another day.

https://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001NDglquaDFyKXBFHm1le2ykk__PbOTGqwBNtXamYsmo62zhJb5hPo6JbQfRqB9F1McVJtLt3ecFhurxuPYOn5a-GsTZU_XweqtV6mNLz-zdyOCF9pjsrqgF5looIrIMx4kKGgmjg90LQKRzOH3xov8TxYPyP_0zZ2xbglqv_lU5OUN9YR2bBRHgxu7e3_pd6yFfTc_zgSQ-XkYGdM8qW6V_WF8wPRDtIw&c=stX3MmvMi1mVT7Ffrwcywi6xNBEBL42m4HHXpf6Mab8a6uHimOQ3BA==&ch=g0XQmPGZzyCdgBgw503L208K4yu7x_pHdDlTxbqR1iRYypA1iXUkRQ==

P.H. Dexippus
AG
Whoa. I haven't read through yet but I agreed with the logic of the original opinion. I don't see how downstream beats the affirmative defenses.
YellAg2004
AG
I'm not a lawyer, but it appears to be more of a formality. It seems the lower court granted summary judgement on an aspect of the case that the appeals court thinks they shouldn't have. It doesn't mean the appeals court disagrees with the ultimate finding, but how the lower court arrived at that finding wasn't acceptable.

One of our resident legal eagles can feel free to correct me.
Bassmaster
AG
You are mostly correct, but I wouldn't say it was a mere formality. The lower court ruled that there was no "cognizable property interest," which is one prong of finding a taking occurred. It didn't reach the second prong of the analysis because it was moot once the first prong wasn't satisfied. The appeals court found that decision to be incorrect and that the homeowners did have a cognizable property interest. It did not go any further than that in the analysis of whether a taking occurred, instead, it remanded the case back to the lower court to rule on whether the second prong was satisfied - whether a taking actually occurred.
YellAg2004
AG
Thanks for the clarification. I read the part about the second prong not being satisfied but missed where they didn't even in look into that prong because they determined the first wasn't met, and therefore considered the second moot.
Jack Klompus
AG
People impacted upstream of the dam are entitled to compensation from the federal government.
Federal judge awards compensation for Hurricane Harvey victims upstream from Addicks, Barker dams (click2houston.com)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.