Houston
Sponsored by

TxTag vs NTTA tag

40,161 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Civen
The Gainesville Taco Casa
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a NTTA tag and have had no issues, but are tolls cheaper on B8 and 99 with a TxTag?
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
The Gainesville Taco Casa said:

I have a NTTA tag and have had no issues, but are tolls cheaper on B8 and 99 with a TxTag?
Same toll cost for all tags.
htxag09
AG
Do you mean a HCTRA EZ Tag? Isn't TxTag north Texas?

I believe tolls are the same price and any will work; however, I've heard, including on this board, that Harris County Toll Road Authority will work with you more so if issues arise if you have an EZ Tag. Say, for example, you get a new credit card and forget to update your toll tag and have a load of fees due to insufficient funds. If you have an EZ Tag they'll be more willing to wave the fee's than if you have a TxTag. This may be absolute BS, but what I've heard.
Al Bula
AG
Taco Casa sucks ass, you dirty tsip
Whoop Delecto
AG
redag06
Correct TxTag is free. Therefore I have TxTag's
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
htxag09 said:

I believe tolls are the same price and any will work; however, I've heard, including on this board, that Harris County Toll Road Authority will work with you more so if issues arise if you have an EZ Tag. Say, for example, you get a new credit card and forget to update your toll tag and have a load of fees due to insufficient funds. If you have an EZ Tag they'll be more willing to wave the fee's than if you have a TxTag. This may be absolute BS, but what I've heard.
All tags (EZ-Tag, TxTAG, TollTag) are inter-operable in Texas. The only differences in the three are the initial fees for acquiring the tag, maintaining the tag, initial balances, etc. Toll costs are the same for all three.
htxag09
AG
Agreed. Didn't state otherwise?
drumboy
AG
htxag09 said:

I was scared this was going to bite me in the arse when I got a card w/ a chip but forgot to update my NTTA TxTag account but everything worked out OK. I had to make an extra phone call or two but they took the fees off.

Like other said, the benefit of going non HCTRA EZ Tag is the no charge vehicle add.
TX04Aggie
AG
Didn't we at one time get an EZ tag discount per toll, by having the EZ tag for HCTRA toll roads? I remember back in the day getting discounts for having the toll tag. I use them so much now, it's a sunk cost so never pay attention to be honest.
nonameag99
You still get a discount over cash
Anagrammatic Nudist
AG
htxag09 said:

Agreed. Didn't state otherwise?
Was just providing more info towards your question of "Isn't TxTag north Texas?".... there is no geographic boundary for TxTag... was just answering your question.
YellAg2004
AG
htxag09 said:

This is generally correct. More so if you get to the point of having several violations with associated fees.

If you keep up with your credit cards on file, change of license plates, etc. and never forget to update any information, go with whatever tag you want.

The tolls are the same regardless of the tag you use, and yes, there is a discount over the cash price for having a tag.
MaroonDontRun
AG
I have found much better customer service with NTTA.

I only switched because I got fed up with HCTRA. Like most things Harris County, they are generally pretty useless.
The Gainesville Taco Casa
And that's fair...
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
You know where your north texas tag gets you cheaper tolls? El Paso. Go there. This town is full.
ensign_beedrill
AG
My TxTag was accepted on Kansas tollways. Not sure the others would be.
YellAg2004
AG
ensign_beedrill said:

My TxTag was accepted on Kansas tollways. Not sure the others would be.
Yes, EZ Tags will work in Kansas & Oklahoma.
agz win
AG
I went with TxTag because it was free. I called them up and had them do all the legwork in applying and mailing the tag to me. Didn't have to do a thing but apply the tag to the windshield. Happy man.
TriAg2010
AG
nonameag99 said:

Didn't the state legislature recently pass a law against that?
TexAg2001
AG
I had a TxTag when I made the move from Austin to Houston in 2008. It worked seamlessly.........except for when it didn't. The couple times it didn't work became a huge headache that resulted in hours on the phone, collections agencies, EXTag (HCTRA) and TxTag blaming each other for the issues, but neither taking responsibility, and ultimately me not being able to renew my vehicle registration due to HCTRA placing a block on it. I ended up having to pay $500+ to settle the issue that both said was the fault of the other and not mine....

I eventually made the switch to EZTag, but that was after years of refusing to drive on a Harris County Toll Road due to being so disgruntled with the system. It has just become too difficult to navigate around the City of Houston without driving on a toll road....

TLDR: Get a toll tag that is for the system you will use more often. If in Houston area, get a EZTag (HCTRA)
ChipFTAC01
AG
Eh, I've been back in Houston From Dallas the same time (2008) and kept my NTTA Tag that entire time and never had an issue. Ymmv.
nonameag99
TriAg2010 said:

nonameag99 said:

Didn't the state legislature recently pass a law against that?
Did they?

94chem
WhoopRAB said:

EZTag is $15 to get the first one and $10 for each subsequent replacement. You need a replacement when you get a new windshield or vehicle.

I have heard there isn't an initial charge for the other Texas Toll tags but haven't confirmed it.

We just scraped it off the old windshield and put it on the new one.
Whoop Delecto
AG
FtBendTxAg
AG
TxTag
YellAg2004
AG
If you're careful to not bend and break the chip when you're removing it, it can be done. But if you try to peel it off like a normal sticker, the chip tends to break.
nonameag99
anyone use https://www.hctra.org/EZTAGExpress?
AgCPA95
AG
nonameag99 said:

anyone use https://www.hctra.org/EZTAGExpress?

No but note that it charges you the "cash", more expensive toll rate.
Civen
AG
TexAg2001 said:

TLDR: Get a toll tag that is for the system you will use more often. If in Houston area, get a EZTag (HCTRA)
Not quite so easy now. Grand Parkway is based on TxTag, so if you split time between 99 and HCTRA lanes you have to pick your team. But like you said, just go with the one you use more often.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.