Houston
Sponsored by

Spoetzl Brewery and Karbach/A-B InBev Throwing Punches!

10,319 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by IrishTxAggie
IrishTxAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B4h-_3zj0SE

Quote:

To our friends in Shiner:
We have heard some chatter about uncommon sights around town last monththree billboards and a concert sponsorship touting: "There's a new Bock in Shiner." That's not Shiner Bock my friends. They are talking about Karbach Brewing Co., which is owned and operated by Anheuser-Busch InBev SA/NV, the largest brewer in the United States and in the world. It is not the Shiner Bock that's brewed here in Shiner at the K. Spoetzl Brewery. This brewery has been providing jobs and giving back to our community since 1909that's 110 years. It is not the 110% independent and family-owned Shiner Bock. Our beers proudly wear the Brewers Association's "Certied Independent Craft" seal on our labelssomething an A-B-owned beer will never be able to do. A-B is a public multinational company with its global headquarters in Belgium. A-B acquired Karbach Brewing Co. in 2016. This was part of A-B's larger scheme to acquire craft breweries around the United States and use its huge plants to produce the former craft beers they now own. A-B does not want you to know that Karbach is produced at the formerly craft Karbach brewery and at its large, low-cost A-B plant in Houston. This is a huge company with deep pockets seeking to force its way into our town. It is not the first time they have tried to imitate our iconic Shiner BockA-B's Ziegenbock and Michelob AmberBock have been around for years. Now, Karbach's Crawford Bock joins A-B's family of bocks: "There's a new Bock in A-B." But they can try again. It won't be the first time some local Texans faced unbelievable odds. We've got pride on our side. We are proud of our beer, proud of our independence, proud of our heritage, proud of our authenticity, and proud to be in Shiner, Texas.
To the drinkers who love Shiner, we say "Cheers" and to the giant breweries, as our friends down the road once said, "Come and Take It." Thank you for your support.
Your friends at the Spoetzl Brewery

As a Shiner native, I'll always choose a Shiner over a Karbach. Not just out of personal loyalty, but because Crawford Bock tastes like **** and Karbach has gone to **** since A-B InBev acquired them.
Al Bula
AG
Karbach is largely crap despite the snobs. Shiner is just OK. It's classy country ass wedding reception beer.

And it's true, after consuming a few sixers of Crawford Bock, it is not that great. Just striking while the Astros marketing was at a peak.
redag06
Crawford bock is awful, but so is shiner bock(or my tastes have changed)
Ag_07
AG
Been awhile since we've had a good neckbeard growing contest and/or InBev bashing thread.

Now we get both in one!!
AlaskanAg99
AG
One I heard lately is Crawford Bock is nothing more than repackaged Ziegenbock. Made in the same plant. Both ****ing suck.
drumboy
AG
I hate post sellout Karbach but damn Crawford Bock was a great marketing move. It's in every freaking bar from BDubs to Palmers Ice House even though it's not good.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Great marketing ploy, but this attempt in Shiner is backfiring on them.
strohag
AG
Crawford Bock isn't my cup of tea. Karbach's IPA's blow anything shiner has put out in that genre out of the water.

I'm all about big money pumping into Karbach. Let's them expand and try new things. Hence the 6 new tanks that are under construction right now.
Tom Hagen
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

One I heard lately is Crawford Bock is nothing more than repackaged Ziegenbock. Made in the same plant. Both ****ing suck.
I can taste the difference. Ziegenbock has a stronger aftertaste.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Tom Hagen said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

So it's watered down Ziegenbock.
KDubAg
AG
Karbach Tasty Waves is the best summer beer for around the pool or lake.
Liquid Wrench
drumboy said:

I hate post sellout Karbach but damn Crawford Bock was a great marketing move. It's in every freaking bar from BDubs to Palmers Ice House even though it's not good.

Check our this tough hombre who knows what's on tap at Palmer's!
one MEEN Ag
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

No way. Zeigen is the liquid bread of cheap beers. I'd recognize that taste anyday.
Tom Hagen
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Tom Hagen said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I do know that they watered down Yule after the InBev takeover. It used to be 8.5%. Now it is about 5.6%.
wessimo
AG
Gotta love Shiner; they survived prohibition and will outlive the eventual craft beer bust. I picked up a case of Cheer this week... good stuff!
Texaggie7nine
Karbach BBH Horchata will make you cream your jeans.
7nine
FarmerJohn
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I have no idea what that is.
schmellba99
AG
Fuggin beer snobs.

Shiner is a great beer, piss on anybody that is so refined that argues different. A cold Shiner or a cold LSL on a September day after busting dove is one of the great joys in life. If you disagree, then F you.
Post removed:
by user
P.H. Dexippus
AG
RIP the best Karbach
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
BBRex
AG
Shiner was good when nobody really knew what good beer was. And Krunkin Pumpkin was probably my favorite pumpkin beer, but I guess that's gone for good. Let me go cry while I stroke my neckbeard.
The Milkman
AG
Tom Hagen said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Tom Hagen said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

I do know that they watered down Yule after the InBev takeover. It used to be 8.5%. Now it is about 5.6%.
They didnt water it down, they changed the style and beer entirely. It became a red ale rather than a stout.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Karbach....(sounds good)...Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter..(really good)...Horchata?

Sounds sacrilegious.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Karbach BBH Horchata will make you cream your jeans genes.
and also..FIFY
wessimo
AG
The Milkman said:

Tom Hagen said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Tom Hagen said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

They didnt water it down, they changed the style and beer entirely. It became a red ale rather than a stout.

Yule was never a stout. It was overrated though.
wessimo
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Texaggie7nine said:

Karbach....(sounds good)...Bourbon Barrel Hellfighter..(really good)...Horchata?

Sounds sacrilegious.

I picked some of this up when it appeared in the Kroger make your own 6pk section (making it $10 a six pack rather than $15 a 4 pack). It's actually pretty good. Wouldn't pay full price though.
Texaggie7nine
I've only had it on draft.
7nine
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
I can settle this whole pissing match with one word:

Nothing makes you feel like a man
Chewy
AG
AB has been trying to take on Shiner for two decades but there's a reason Ziegenbock has to be sold at a discount in order to sell it. It's not as good.

Same for Crawford Bock. It's amazing marketing tied to a winner but it's not nearly as good. There's a reason when I go to an Astros game and walk around with a Shiner Bock I always get asked where I got it even though Zieg and Crawford are readily available. It's just better.

Shiner is like the Blue Bell of beers. There's plenty better out there but it can be tough to find and it's more expensive. Shiner is readily available, moderately priced, and most importantly tasty AF. It's one hell of a bock/amber beer.

It may not be someone's cup of tea as everyone has unique tastes but anyone that disses it is a damn fool. It's a damn fine product and very few match up to everything it offers.
drumboy
AG
Chewy said:

AB has been trying to take on Shiner for two decades but there's a reason Ziegenbock has to be sold at a discount in order to sell it. It's not as good.

Same for Crawford Bock. It's amazing marketing tied to a winner but it's not nearly as good. There's a reason when I go to an Astros game and walk around with a Shiner Bock I always get asked where I got it even though Zieg and Crawford are readily available. It's just better.

Shiner is like the Blue Bell of beers. There's plenty better out there but it can be tough to find and it's more expensive. Shiner is readily available, moderately priced, and most importantly tasty AF. It's one hell of a bock/amber beer.

It may not be someone's cup of tea as everyone has unique tastes but anyone that disses it is a damn fool. It's a damn fine product and very few match up to everything it offers.
GDit why did you give me a yearning to go to the Tall Texan this early in the morning?!
Boo Weekley
Coldest beer in town. Haven't been there in years...I need to fix that.
jc1402
AG
If nothing else, the Shiner commercials that have been coming out for the past couple years now about bbqing and floating the river are the best beer commercials in a long time.
Chewy
AG
I've never really put much thought to it but all things considered there might not be a finer place to drink a Shiner in the world.

Let's count some things down:

1) Gentrified part of the Tine where all kinds live in harmony.
2) Jukebox where no telling what will be playing but everyone will jam along or just ignore it.
3) Cold AF
4) Cheap AF
5) Cash only
6) Social media hasn't ruined it yet
7) Those that are afraid don't dare enter

I'm sure there's some more and it might not be the best but it's sure up there.

RK
AG
i don't think i have ever had a drink there that wasn't a lone star. i don't intend to change that.
Texaggie7nine
Chewy said:

I've never really put much thought to it but all things considered there might not be a finer place to drink a Shiner in the world.

Let's count some things down:

1) Gentrified part of the Tine where all kinds live in harmony.
2) Jukebox where no telling what will be playing but everyone will jam along or just ignore it.
3) Cold AF
4) Cheap AF
5) Cash only
6) Social media hasn't ruined it yet
7) Those that are afraid don't dare enter

I'm sure there's some more and it might not be the best but it's sure up there.

And the more you go, the more likely you are to be there when your name is pulled for winning money.
7nine
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.