Houston
Sponsored by

Griddy Electric

68,051 Views | 454 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by third coast..
wbr_iii
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any experience? Thinking of signing up. Historically used Energy Ogre but this seems like it is a better deal. Thanks.
rbcs_2
AG
Two weeks in and Griddy has turned me into the dad I've always wanted to be. The kind that follows everyone around the house complaining about all the wasted electricity.
Cromagnum
AG
"if you want power that's real shiddy"
"Just call us at 866-4-Griddy"
cena05
AG
Like it so far.
abacavir
This board is nothing but threads about electricity rates.
The Wonderer
AG
abacavir said:

shocking, isn't it?
Icecream_Ag
S
abacavir said:

I'm shocked that people in Houston would be getting to find cheaper energy prices during the summer
kyle field 94
AG
I have been a griddy user for over a year and have been happy.

If you choose to sign up, if you use my link, we both will earn a 25$ credit after 30 days

Http://ssqt.co/medSv3p

AggieKig
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/business/energy/amp/Calpine-admits-error-that-sent-power-prices-14112008.php

Somebody let us know how your July/August effective rate turns out.

Sazerac
AG
Didn't affect anything.

My rates have been 6-8 cents all-in each week this summer with Griddy.

If smart thermostats could access the live data you could really make a difference. Someday...
pasquale
AG
I showed my wife Griddy and told her there is no reason to dry the same load of clothes 4 times. Just take it out and fold it
kyle field 94
AG
Agreed that the calpine error was a not event over the whole week or month average

My June avg was 8.0 all in and my July is 8.3 all in thru yday
JSKolache
AG
pasquale said:

I showed my wife Griddy and told her there is no reason to dry the same load of clothes 4 times. Just take it out and fold it
This. Wives and griddy dont mix.
combat wombat™
AG
Don't be ridiculous, I'm the one who signed us up for griddy.

We started using gritty on June 7th my June all in rage was 8.5 cents per kilowatt hour my July all in rate was 8.1 cents per kilowatt hour.

aggiemike02
AG
combat wombat said:

my June all in rage was ...

yikes
ChipFTAC01
AG
combat wombat said:

We started using gritty on June 7th my June all in rage was 8.5 cents per kilowatt hour my July all in rate was 8.1 cents per kilowatt hour.

Wait, JSKolache = Buck Turgison?
bullard21k
AG
What's has some of yalls electric bills been running this summer with griddy?
Sazerac
AG
"My rates have been 6-8 cents all-in this summer with Griddy. "
bullard21k
AG
cclearman said:

"My rates have been 6-8 cents all-in this summer with Griddy. "

No I saw that I'm just curious what people's total bill at the end of the month has been running using this.

I've been running in the 120 - 200$ range with gexa this summer
Sazerac
AG
KwH usage x 6-8 cents = bill
Bellard
AG

Anyone using using Griddy. We have heard that Griddy could leave the consumer vulnerable to long stretches of high heat. I know we are going through a hot stretch now, how high are your bills going?
Bellard
tlh3842
AG
Griddy still works great if you can adjust when you use electricity. If you're forced to use significant amount of electric from about 2-5pm during the week, it might not make as much sense.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I just switched. Prices on Monday spiked around $2/kWh at 3pm, as ERCOT demand was near record highs and wind generation was low. I still averaged $.17/kWh for the day since overnight prices are less than $.02/kWh.

If I had automated my home (still in progress), I could have dodged the price spike almost entirely, further dropping the cost average. Over 12mos, and with home autos, I expect my average all-in rate to be less than $.08/kWh.

The major price driver is HVAC demand in July/August between 1pm-4pm. Depending on if you are home during those hours, how insulated your home is and your tolerance for raising the thermostat, you can save significant coin by cooling the house all day except during those peak hours.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
agchino
AG
With Griddy you are vulnerable to high heat for short periods of time (15 minute increments), and it is somewhat under your control (you can go shut the HVAC or oven off if you choose). That is averaged out by night time where you are only paying 1-2 cents per kwh.

For July my total rate came out to be 8.7 cents per kwh and all other months were around there or lower

So far for August I am averaging 15.6 cents per kwh, with Monday averaging up over 30 cents per kwh, but Sunday averaging less than 5 cents per kwh. I expect August to smooth out as the month goes (depending on the weather).

I've done it for about a year, including last July's spikes, and am satisfied I have saved money overall.
2nd Generation Ag
I have been following this thread for awhile. I admit I work for Energy Ogre. These high spikes are not done yet. We have a week at least of record temps.

Unless I am missing something, Energy Ogre has custom rates around 8 cents with no risk. And you can still turn off things in your home if you want to reduce cost.

They are passing the risk on to you the consumer. There is not enough gain to offset the risk. They have done a great job marketing their product. They haven't told you the full story.

If you need help you can inbox me. I hate to see this happen.
94chem
Griddy could have saved me $35 over the past 12 months versus Discount Power.

Then I read this thread, and you guys are talking about juggling appliances, being hot for stretches, etc.

On top op that, the griddy website doesn't seem to explain why that's the case.

Sound like power for DINKS who just need to make sure the dog doesn't expire during the day.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I love these hot takes that Griddy is "passing on their risk" and "isn't telling you the whole story". Can you identify for me any energy retailer who doesn't pass along their risk? Most just do it by charging you 4x-10x the market rate from 6pm-noon during the summer months, and 24/7 the rest of the year.

Griddy is very upfront that they are selling electricity at the spot market rate + TDU charges, without markup, for better or for worse. They pass along both the risk and reward of the spot market. They make a flat rate of $10/mo, like Energy Ogre.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
agchino
AG
I have 3 kids with a stay at home wife, so certainly not DINKs. I also have smart thermostats. I messed with them a bit last year during the price spikes. I have touched them zero times during price spikes this summer, after the novelty of the price alerts kind of wore off on me. The most I do now is ask the wife not to run the electric oven or the clothes dryer until after 5, otherwise we haven't changed our habits.

I understand risk, and I also understand how power to choose works. Previously I was fine doing my own spreadsheets to figure out the best plans for me with what was published on the market with my historic energy consumption.

At the time I chose to do Griddy, we came off a plan in the middle of summer and there were zero short term plans and the 6 and 12 month plans were all over 10 cents a kwh, which was a significant increase from the plan I came off of.

I have monitored power to choose throughout, even considering getting on a contract to carry me through the risk of this summer, but nothing has beat what I have been getting over a year with Griddy.

Yes there is risk I could run all of my loads at exactly the wrong time when it is $2.00 / kwh, but that is risk is low and it has generally been capped at 15 minutes before the market responds.
agchino
AG
Here is my breakdown for the past 8 months (electric heat in the house, so winter usage is higher). $.089 /kwh has been my highest average month the whole time.

Jul 2573 kwh $.087/kwh
Jun 1957 kwh $.075/kwh
May 1819 kwh $.076/kwh
Apr 1473 kwh $.080/kwh
Mar 2053 kwh $.089/kwh
Feb 2183 kwh $.082/kwh
Jan 2508 kwh $.083/kwh
Dec 1771 kwh $.071/kwh

Last August was $.096/kwh and like I said I expect this August to smooth out from the $.015/kwh it is now in the first week of the month. This is offset by the 7 cent months the rest of the year. YMMV.
combat wombat™
AG
Quote:

I have 3 kids with a stay at home wife, so certainly not DINKs.

We're a family of 5. Three kids, and I work from home so I am almost always here. I am happy with a warmer thermostat during the day in the summertime. We've only been on griddy since early June. However, I am happy with it so far. I understand price spikes. I believe that when you average it out for the year, I will have saved money overall.
2nd Generation Ag
Like I said we have custom rates below the market around 7.8 - 8.2 all in including all transmission charges.

These are custom rates below the market. You have no risk. We manage it all for you.

Sazerac
AG
with Griddy

All In rate
May: 1561.9 kwh $129.26 8.3
June: 1911.1 kwh $163.30 8.6
July: 2251.3 kwh $196.78 8.8

It's decent. If I could have locked in a plan at a flat 8 cents when I started Griddy in May 2018 I probably would have done that instead. But rates were higher and there is too much RISK with all of the "rates for <1kwh, rates for 1> kwh, rates for >2kwh".

And Energy Ogre loses its appeal when you are paying them $10/month to put you in a year long contract....

one MEEN Ag
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I love these hot takes that Griddy is "passing on their risk" and "isn't telling you the whole story". Can you identify for me any energy retailer who doesn't pass along their risk? Most just do it by charging you 4x-10x the market rate from 6pm-noon during the summer months, and 24/7 the rest of the year.

Griddy is very upfront that they are selling electricity at the spot market rate + TDU charges, without markup, for better or for worse. They pass along both the risk and reward of the spot market. They make a flat rate of $10/mo, like Energy Ogre.
You hit the nail on the head.

For accusing Griddy of not fully telling their story, 2nd Gen sure likes to gloss over Energy Ogre's issues.

Griddy cuts out the insurance middle man that is retail electricity providers. Consumers get direct access to the market, make of it what you will. Energy Ogre positions themselves as an insurance aggregator on the retail market. They can only drop your rates by taking advantage of unsustainable new contracts by companies that are bleeding money during the summer. Eventually, those retail providers raise their rates at contract renewal time as they can't operate in the red. In general, Energy Ogre users get caught up in a early termination fee game. How many retail providers got gutted the last two years? When was the last time electricity prices weren't 'high'?

If Energy Ogre was better than Griddy, they'd have case study after case study of how they smoke Griddy at total cost of service delivered. But since they are another layer of expense on top of a retail provider they can't beat a company that removes a layer of cost.

This is why you see Energy Ogre getting ready to use their size to negotiate wholesale electricity rates directly. Basically becoming the retailer they hoped to navigate around and between.

one MEEN Ag
AG
2nd Generation Ag said:

Like I said we have custom rates below the market around 7.8 - 8.2 all in including all transmission charges.

These are custom rates below the market. You have no risk. We manage it all for you.

And do those rates include your $10 a month fee? Credit card fees?

And then the opportunity cost loss of having to pay early termination fees?

Just saying you've got access to market rates of 7.8 cents/kwh doesn't paint the full picture of the cost of service delivery. By that token, Griddy's got 5-6 cents/kwh rates.

jakelew04
AG
I have enjoyed following this thread as someone that worked in ERCOT for several years. I also know a couple folks using Griddy right now. A few things.

In the long run will the wholesale price be lower than the retail price you could get under a fixed rate contract? Yes. That's why the retail companies exist and offer fixed price contracts. Will you be better off with wholesale plus the $10 monthly fee versus shopping for the lowest available fixed retail rate? Maybe. Of course the likelihood goes up if you can manage your usage to a greater degree.

Yes Griddy is passing the risk of the wholesale market to you. The comment that the other retailers are passing that risk to you under a fixed price contract via their mark up is wrong. They are keeping the risk and charging you for it. Of course they are charging you more than what they think the true risk premium is. That is how they make money. But don't kid yourself, they are not passing the risk to you. They are wearing it.

I also don't think everyone really understands ERCOT "price spikes". Unless you have been in the market a long time, you have not seen the true worst case in ERCOT. The ERCOT market is tremendously skewed. You probably have to go back to 2011 to see a true example (there were two, one in winter and one in summer) where prices stayed at the max not for 5 or 15 minutes, but for hours over several days in multiple months.

During these events, many retailers went belly up. They kept the wholesale risk, and it far exceeded what they had charged their customers for it. Griddy doesn't have to worry about this of course (not 100% true), but their customers do. The price caps in ERCOT are much higher now than they were 2011 by the way.

The likelihood of an event like this in a given month, summer or even year are low, but it will happen again. The folks on this thread are probably financially positioned to weather an event like this, and if they stayed with Griddy for a long time, they might still come out ahead even if an event like this occurred while they were a customer. The alternative fixed retail rates will jump significantly in the short term when this happens again. Retail energy customers in general are not financially prepared for an event like this. Most people have basically zero emergency savings. I think Griddy requires auto payment, but I think the balance in the account required is quite low.

When it happens again, many retailers will die again. Griddy customers will take a huge (for them on average, probably not folks on this thread) financial hit. I will give Griddy the benefit of the doubt that they will have reserves required to weather a bunch of their customers failing to pay their bills while they have to pay ERCOT for the wholesale energy their customers consumed. Meaning they won't go bust immediately. I'm more interested to see if their customers in general flee after this happens and whether or not they'll be able to get customers to replace them in the aftermath.

It will be interesting to watch, and it's cool to see a new offering in the market. Maybe Griddy is just a different flavor of the ERCOT retail players that will get wiped out when the **** hits the fan. For their sake, hopefully it's still several years before it happens again. The longer it is between events, the more people forget, and the more people are willing to wear the risk they don't understand.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.