Houston
Sponsored by

Pyramid scheme - beware while shopping at HEB or Target

31,204 Views | 147 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
CLB2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got approached for the 5th time over the last couple of months, yesterday while shopping at HEB.
Posting this here, so that if any of you losers that do this, see this, you can better understand how annoying and stupid this **** is.

It either starts out as "hey I see your ring, what year did you graduate".
First off, the fact you are starting off this annoying sales pitch for me to join your pyramid scheme by trying to connect with me because we are both Aggies, is bull****. dont do this to another Ag.

All of them have then gone on to ask me what I do for a living. I'm in recruiting/HR. no lie, 4 of the 5 said they were too or had a family member in the same field.
They then go on to ask if I like my job and if i would be interested in making more money, supplementing my income, or "increasing my portfolio".

Yesterday's guy said that he hooked up with some really cool people on the East coast that are helping him earn extra money on the side. Others have said that they are part of a company that helps them increase their earning potential. When I would ask what the name of the company is, they wouldn't tell me and said they wanted to have me talk to their "boss" about the opportunity. Nope, they actually dont want to tell me the name of the bogus company because if I did, I would find out its a pyramid scheme and they wouldn't hit their monthly target of meetings set up with their "boss" so that he can try and put a BS sales pitch on me too.

This was the 2nd time this happened at HEB. The first was actually a couple that the guy went to A&M and the girl said she had an uncle that went to A&M. Two happened at Target and the 5th time happened at the gym. Shocker, I was working out in an A&M shirt and it started off with "hey, what year did you graduate"?

If you are part of this crap or better yet the **** at the top teaching your little minions to approach other Aggies with this scheme, quit. People dont like being approached for a sale when they are out minding their own business, especially if you are just putting on as a fellow Ag wanting to shoot the breeze about Aggie football, when in actuality your giving me your best sales pitch to join your pyramid scheme.
T Durden
AG
Similar strange interaction at HEB about a year ago. Guy was asking way too many questions about my job. Had to cut off the conversation and hit the deli.
gambochaman
AG
why are you even engaging these people? just keep walking and ignore them
T Durden
AG
It really did start out with an A&M shirt. Guy asks if I went there and what year I graduated. A few more questions and I split. My wife was smart and took off immediately. I was just being friendly until he wanted to exchange business cards. I told him no and I've got to go. My 12 year old son even said that the situation was weird.

That's what I get for being friendly I guess.
BusterAg
AG
I had a guy approach me, talked about the football team for 2 minutes, and then asked if I wanted to supplement my income. I told him I was too busy saving money to get a Somali prince out of jail in South Africa, and called me a jerk in front of my kid and left me alone.
CowtownAg06
AG
This is why it pays to dress like a bum and always have ear buds in.
drumboy
AG
Pretty sure I got one of these dudes a couple years ago at Lowes but he never tried to press me to meet his boss. Probably because when he started asking if I wanted to earn more money I told him I have three kids, busy AF and make enough in my 9-5.

I suspected it was either a MLM scheme or a grindr hookup attempt, neither of which I'm interested in.
David_Puddy
AG
They do this inside the store or in the parking lot? If inside the store, in the middle of an aisle or something sans a shopping cart? Very strange.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'm curious to know what company/scheme this is
CLB2008
AG
David_Puddy said:

They do this inside the store or in the parking lot? If inside the store, in the middle of an aisle or something sans a shopping cart? Very strange.

No carts, inside the store. They are clearly there for one reason and its not to shop.
T Durden
AG
Near deli. This guy had a cart with a few things in it.
Dill-Ag13
AG
are you the guy that opens your front door to solicitors and gives them more than 5 seconds?
DiskoTroop
Yeah the Bunker Hill HEB has them. We call them the cult following. My wife is too nice to shrug them off so they just burn up 10 min of her time until I go rescue her. I swear she gave her email address to probably 3 of them and they STILL email her trying to increase their portfolio.
T Durden
AG
I open the door but cut them off pretty quickly. My dog goes off and they typically don't want to stick around anyway.
aggiedent
AG
Nobody ever hits me up. I've cultured an angry pissed off look that seems to frighten most people.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We hate on the new generation for being lazy. Now we are hating of folks for getting out there and hustling. Maybe tomorrow we can hate on the 8-5'ers, just to round out the hate portfolio.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

We hate on the new generation for being lazy. Now we are hating of folks for getting out there and hustling. Maybe tomorrow we can hate on the 8-5'ers, just to round out the hate portfolio.

Maybe they should try a hustle that isn't (1) soliciting at another place of business; (2) employing sketchy tactics; and (3) pushing a concealed product/business.
Flashdiaz
AG
These random girls keep coming up to me a the Gym, HEB, Baskin Robbins and Ace hardware... I don't talk to them no matter what size their shirt is because I don't want to be a part of any kind of scheme.
CLB2008
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Ok, so MBL is clearly part of this group....

rilloaggie
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

I'm curious to know what company/scheme this is
I had a guy approach me at the Bunker Hill HEB and started the conversation because he saw my wife in an A&M shirt. He had a girl with him and I would guess they were both about 24. They said they just moved to town so we shot the shiz for a bit. Then he started to drop lines about being an entrepreneur and wanting to start businesses. I was kind of not following but then he started in on having a mentor that was looking to partner with select people on this amazing business. Turns out it was Amway that he was pushing. I said "oh, isn't that a pyramid scheme?" his response was "well Amway is a multi-tiered business but it is a pyramid scheme in the same way that you could call a battleship a boat!" I told him thanks and went on my way.

Really pissed me off because I generally don't mind striking up a conversation with an Aggie wherever I am. I hope idiots like this don't start killing that because I have met cool folks all over and shared a beer just because of the A&M connection.
Chewy
AG
What is the hit rate with these people? I can't imagine my life being so boring and unfulfilling that I'd engage these people very long.

I'd much rather run home to spend time with my Internet friends via various social media outlets where I salivate for likes and positive comments to boost my ever fragile ego.
chico
AG
Yet another reason to shop at Fiesta!
MAS444
AG
It's amazing to me that people to do this...but what's even more amazing to me is that it apparently works on some (or they wouldn't be doing it). I guess there's just a lot of really clueless/naive/lonely people out there.
Jack Cheese
AG
Chewy said:

What is the hit rate with these people? I can't imagine my life being so boring and unfulfilling that I'd engage these people very long.

I'd much rather run home to spend time with my Internet friends via various social media outlets where I salivate for likes and positive comments to boost my ever fragile ego.

You can get solicited there too! Want some Plexus? Advocare? Doterra?

Edit: I mean to say, do you want life fulfillment and a great source of income?
sts7049
AG
next time you come across one of these turds i'd tell them you'll let the store know they are trespassing
b0ridi
Tell one of the managers at HEB. Similar people have already been banned from the College Station HEBs/College Station Barnes&Noble for soliciting.
David_Puddy
AG
Has anyone gotten so far as to hearing how much $ they're trying to get you to "invest" with them?
b0ridi
David_Puddy said:

Has anyone gotten so far as to hearing how much $ they're trying to get you to "invest" with them?
In the ones I've seen, you spend a few hundred dollars on "initiation fees" and energy drinks that you can sell to others. When no one wants to buy the drinks, you end up drinking the expensive energy drinks yourself.
MAS444
AG
This is all new to me and I'm obviously don't look like a good prospect because I've never been approached. But now I'm intrigued and would love to know who/what is behind this?? Someone here has to know! Spill it!
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Betoisafurry
I had this same thing happen to me at the bunker hill academy, minus the sales pitch. Dude comes up to me with his wife and is super friendly asking all kinds of questions about when I graduated and where I work. My wife was weirded out so we just walked off. I just put it off as some weird overly nice people trying to make friends or something. This MLM makes more sense though.
Big Cat `93
AG
Some Amway cultist pulled that on me at a bookstore near the Galleria back in the 90s. Same MO.
David_Puddy
AG
I believe I'm getting solicited/harrassed over LinkedIn for something similar or for the same thing or something similar. This girl sends me an email every couple of days. However, their LinkedIn says they're located in San Fran and also shows a PhD from A&M (seems legit....haha)....

I sent you an email a few days back after we connected on LinkedIn. I thought I'd follow up with a bit more info. Alumni Ventures Group (AVG) offers a smart, simple approach to venture investing for alumni of top schools like Texas A&M, and an alumni community focused on the overlap of entrepreneurship, venture capital, and the strength of our network.

I joined AVG because I was inspired to see all of the amazing companies that its funds were investing in, and because I'd never heard of such a smart way for any individual accredited investor to simply invest in startups and the broader venture capital asset class before.

You can read more about some of AVG's investments and review the entire portfolio here. The bottom line we can get access to better venture deals by being in a fund together than we could ever do on our own.

Here is an overview deck highlighting our AVG Select Fund, where investors own a portfolio of 30 venture investments diversified by stage, sector, and geography.

If you're interested you can click here to schedule a brief intro call with one of our Senior Partners. Or, just reply showing your interest and I can help to arrange an intro call.
BearJew13
AG
Happened to me at the Bunker Hill HEB as well about 9 months ago. The guy was overly nice, asked a ton of questions about what I do for work, also said he and his wife just moved here, then asked if I wanted to "increase my earning potential". I told him my dad and I started our company to do just that, then walked off. He tried to talk to me 3 more times while I was still in the store.
DiskoTroop
Human spam

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.