Houston
Sponsored by

Katy ISD re-zoning

8,778 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
cajunaggie08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.katymagazineonline.com/single-post/Katy-ISD-High-Schools-Face-School-Major-Rezoning-for-2020?fbclid=IwAR0NpniT37TOH-_W1Dn6AgvbLFRhMxYz68VFSz3pULeLhaJzs0BVA92VlBk

For you fellow near-san antonio residents, Katy ISD will be rezoning the SW side due to the opening of HS #9 as well as attempt to even out enrollment across the campuses.

Current:

Proposed:
drumboy
AG
Did they name is "HS #9" so that they won't have to rename it in 50 years when whatever proper noun they otherwise would have used is deemed offensive?
cajunaggie08
AG
Are you implying people may find James Taylor offensive?

BigPuma
AG
For those not well versed or did not look at the map......the probably most notable change is West Memorial, Cimmarron, Governor's Place, and Creekstone will be zoned to either Cinco or jeTHS.

These are neighborhoods that for the last 20 years have been physically closer to both Cinco and Taylor but zoned to Katy. Let the trolling of Katy HS super duper fanboys begin

cajunaggie08
AG
I lived in creekstone until after 6th grade. I cannot see the Cinco parents being too thrilled with Cimarron and West Memorial students sharing a school with Skylar and Kimber
Furlock Bones
AG
Not sure who you're trying to dig. But Cinco has never wanted those neighborhoods in their bubble.
cajunaggie08
AG
I'm sure there will be tears shed in some of those homes when they learn they no longer are zoned to Katy HS. These neighborhoods have been zoned to Katy HS since they were first built and have a decent population of Katy HS super fans. These are the ones who have been season ticket holders for 30+ years despite the fact that their kids graduated 25 years ago.
Furlock Bones
AG
cajunaggie08 said:

I'm sure there will be tears shed in some of those homes when they learn they no longer are zoned to Katy HS. These neighborhoods have been zoned to Katy HS since they were first built and have a decent population of Katy HS super fans. These are the ones who have been season ticket holders for 30+ years despite the fact that their kids graduated 25 years ago.
aw from that sense yes. Katy took the same big hit when my old hood Williamsburg Settlement got moved to crap ass Morton Ranch.
tylercsbn9
AG
Where do the kids that live in Cane Island and Elyson go?

I assume CI is Katy since it is right around the corner but what about Elyson?

Rule was always to stay south of 10 in Katy but with some nice developments further north I guess that could change. Especially when Bridgeland crosses 99 and has Katy ISD kids.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
WTF?

They're ADDING a school and enrollment at Taylor and Cinco will somehow INCREASE. Classic government.
ordord93
AG
I believe Elyson is zoned to Paetow, which is north of I10/West of 99. It opened a couple of years ago in anticipation of those new neighborhoods up north building up.

Once HS #9 is complete, the only direction for Katy ISD to grow is north. I'm hoping that means that things south of I10 are about to settle down and all the rezoning s done!
tylercsbn9
AG
ordord93 said:

I believe Elyson is zoned to Paetow, which is north of I10/West of 99. !

Yikes. Looks like it's on the same level at Morton Ranch. Although I guess it'll get better as Bridgeland and Elyson builds out and more kids get rezoned away
cajunaggie08
AG
We were considering buying up in one of the Paetow zoned neighborhoods. seeing how it's currently just a newer Morton Ranch we decided not to risk it. All it takes is oil to go back to bust and all that new development becomes much cheaper.
GoAgs92
AG
all the parents complaining about what a "bad" school Katy High is crack me up...suburban whitebread moms are silly.

all the drugs and sex...haha.

How Katy ranks below 7 lakes and Cinco in STAAR testing...I did a study and there appears to be a direct correlation between katy isd ranking and percent of Asian students.

Smokedraw01
A good student at Tompkins or Cinco Ranch can get an equal education at Mayde Creek or Morton Ranch. Honestly, the teachers at Mayde Creek are better than some of those at CR or Tompkins or anywhere else.
BigPuma
AG
Furlock Bones said:

cajunaggie08 said:

aw from that sense yes. Katy took the same big hit when my old hood Williamsburg Settlement got moved to crap ass Morton Ranch.
There are several people that are super power pissed about being rezoned. The ranting on facebook has been pretty solid and trying to figure out the rules to get around it has been entertaining. BoT meeting on this subject is going to be lit. (as it usually is with ABMs). To top it off, during the bond election nobody believed that HS9 would impact the ABMs for KHS. It was almost going to be impossible for it not.

Quote:

Not sure who you're trying to dig. But Cinco has never wanted those neighborhoods in their bubble.
And yes, everybody has heard that. In reality Cinco had consistently been overcrowded within 5 years of opening. It wasn't until OTHS opened that CRHS actually got adequate relief. Same with MRHS. Fact is/was KHS has had way more room to stack MORE portables in instances of overcrowding than most of the others.

Quote:

I believe Elyson is zoned to Paetow, which is north of I10/West of 99. It opened a couple of years ago in anticipation of those new neighborhoods up north building up.

Once HS #9 is complete, the only direction for Katy ISD to grow is north. I'm hoping that means that things south of I10 are about to settle down and all the rezoning s done!
HS9 being finished and this ABM in place should limit the rezoning at the HS level in the southwest quadrant for a long while. I personally think KISD is done when they eventually bond and build HS10.
mm98
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

A good student at Tompkins or Cinco Ranch can get an equal education at Mayde Creek or Morton Ranch. Honestly, the teachers at Mayde Creek are better than some of those at CR or Tompkins or anywhere else.

So, you teach at Mayde Creek?
MelvinUdall
West Memorial still being zoned to Katy HS has never made any sense.
tylercsbn9
AG
MelvinUdall said:

Neither does someone living off of south Highway 6 even behind zoned to Katy in the first place much less Taylor instead of Mayde Creek. But money probably talked back in the day when that was set up.
MelvinUdall
tylercsbn9 said:

MelvinUdall said:

Neither does someone living off of south Highway 6 even behind zoned to Katy in the first place much less Taylor instead of Mayde Creek. But money probably talked back in the day when that was set up.

Oh I agree, but those b****ing now in West Memorial don't have a leg to stand on other than history, logistically it makes no sense.
Smokedraw01
mm98 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

So, you teach at Mayde Creek?

Nope, I actually teach on the south side. Some of the good things that happen at those south side schools happen in spite of the teachers. It's not that they don't care or don't try, they just believe they're own hype.
Smokedraw01
tylercsbn9 said:

MelvinUdall said:

Who is zoned to Katy off of highway 6?
tylercsbn9
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

tylercsbn9 said:

MelvinUdall said:

Who is zoned to Katy off of highway 6?
Sorry...meant Katy ISD in general. Specifically referring to Barkers Landing. They also have to go to MPJH which is even further than Taylor. MPJH is 20-25 minutes and 8 miles versus Mayde Creek JH being 5 miles and 10-15 minutes. There is also a junior high less than 3 miles and 10 minutes away but it is HISD. Westside HS is also way, way closer.

They also have to pass through McMeans attendance zones (if they stay south of 10), but I guess it makes sense to be at MPJH versus McMeans since McMeans is pretty far south.
cajunaggie08
AG
MelvinUdall said:

tylercsbn9 said:

MelvinUdall said:

Oh I agree, but those b****ing now in West Memorial don't have a leg to stand on other than history, logistically it makes no sense.
Its never been about logistics when it came to zoning on the south side of Katy. It's always been about perceived economic/social status.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I received the notification from the district, where parents are being told that their input is highly valued in making the decision as to which neighborhoods will go to which schools.

Sorry, but I am still laughing my ass off. They have tremendous nerve to even use that phrase in light of what happened with the most recent ABM.

As evidenced by my username, we live in Cinco Ranch. We are roughly a mile a statue the crow flies from both Cinco junior and high schools. The district sent out ABM surveys, with one choice that made the most logistical sense and two other choices that seemed to go out of their way to impact a majority of kids. Parents overwhelmingly supported the first choice, which moved fewer kids around and left those closest to the campus in place. Then the district announced the adoption of one of the other options, with a bunch of snide comments about how this was better for the overall district, and how your kids will adjust (which I agree they will, I just did not appreciate the condescending tone with which that statement was delivered).

So my daughter came home from her last day at Cinco JH crying over losing all her friends ( yes, I told her it is for only a year, but I think it is rare to find a kid who can adequately compartmentalize something like that or to see a longer term outlook on it). She will now be going to Beck, which is 5 miles driving distance.

They really should have given kids who had been at their current campus an option to stay if they so chose. All of those kids roll out within two years, and you don't throw this disruption into their lives. To adults, this should not sound like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but to kids it certainly can be a huge deal.

This action prompted me to vote in the recent school board election against the ***** who made some butthead statements over that ABM. I will continue to vote against board members who I believe were unanimous in telling parents f you with their complete disregard to the survey results.

94chem
Moving kids who are already enrolled is pretty lame.

Aren't the Katy HS parents up in arms about the school size getting smaller? How will they win "state" in every sport with less than 5000 students? Or did they reach some sort of agreement to just move certain neighborhoods that aren't known for sportball?
BigPuma
AG
94chem said:

Aren't the Katy HS parents up in arms about the school size getting smaller? How will they win "state" in every sport with less than 5000 students? Or did they reach some sort of agreement to just move certain neighborhoods that aren't known for sportball?

Who said anything about Katy HS getting smaller? there are several LUZs (land use zones) that are being built on that were historically agriculture fields, increasing the population size. Additionally there are a few new apartment complexes going in that will be zoned to KHS. The people that are mad are people that live in 4 neighborhoods that will be zoned to other high schools (CRHS and JET)
Katy HS oftentimes has had smaller enrollment than other schools in the district but is currently around 3400. I am not sure the last time Katy HS has had 5k enrolled was, but it was definitely prior to 99 if ever. This isn't Allen, Elsik/Hastings, Plano, etc. For reference KISD aims to average 3k at each of its high schools which is why HS9 is being constructed currently (at an outrageous price tag)
mm98
AG
Do you live in Northlake Village?

And I agree, the messaging from the board is pathetic and overly arrogant.
Smokedraw01
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I received the notification from the district, where parents are being told that their input is highly valued in making the decision as to which neighborhoods will go to which schools.

Sorry, but I am still laughing my ass off. They have tremendous nerve to even use that phrase in light of what happened with the most recent ABM.

As evidenced by my username, we live in Cinco Ranch. We are roughly a mile a statue the crow flies from both Cinco junior and high schools. The district sent out ABM surveys, with one choice that made the most logistical sense and two other choices that seemed to go out of their way to impact a majority of kids. Parents overwhelmingly supported the first choice, which moved fewer kids around and left those closest to the campus in place. Then the district announced the adoption of one of the other options, with a bunch of snide comments about how this was better for the overall district, and how your kids will adjust (which I agree they will, I just did not appreciate the condescending tone with which that statement was delivered).

So my daughter came home from her last day at Cinco JH crying over losing all her friends ( yes, I told her it is for only a year, but I think it is rare to find a kid who can adequately compartmentalize something like that or to see a longer term outlook on it). She will now be going to Beck, which is 5 miles driving distance.

They really should have given kids who had been at their current campus an option to stay if they so chose. All of those kids roll out within two years, and you don't throw this disruption into their lives. To adults, this should not sound like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but to kids it certainly can be a huge deal.

This action prompted me to vote in the recent school board election against the ***** who made some butthead statements over that ABM. I will continue to vote against board members who I believe were unanimous in telling parents f you with their complete disregard to the survey results.

First, I can understand the frustration. ABM is a challenge and nobody is ever happy about it. I imagine your daughter will be loving life within two days of going to her new school. In junior high, it's harder to accommodate drastically uneven grade levels and then parents now have to get their 8th grader to CRJH and their 6th grader to BJH.

Secondly, when we got the ABM stuff, I just took it as the district telling us what they could do.

Third, I'm amazed that they moved the kids from behind Westland Baptist/Westwood Gymnastics while the house just south of BJH will continue to go to BDJH. It doesn't make a lick of sense.
94chem
BigPuma said:

94chem said:

Who said anything about Katy HS getting smaller? there are several LUZs (land use zones) that are being built on that were historically agriculture fields, increasing the population size. Additionally there are a few new apartment complexes going in that will be zoned to KHS. The people that are mad are people that live in 4 neighborhoods that will be zoned to other high schools (CRHS and JET)
Katy HS oftentimes has had smaller enrollment than other schools in the district but is currently around 3400. I am not sure the last time Katy HS has had 5k enrolled was, but it was definitely prior to 99 if ever. This isn't Allen, Elsik/Hastings, Plano, etc. For reference KISD aims to average 3k at each of its high schools which is why HS9 is being constructed currently (at an outrageous price tag)
Just reading the map in OP...I meant smaller relative to the unfettered growth, not relative to current enrollment.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
mm98 said:

Do you live in Northlake Village?

And I agree, the messaging from the board is pathetic and overly arrogant.
Meadow Green.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

First, I can understand the frustration. ABM is a challenge and nobody is ever happy about it. I imagine your daughter will be loving life within two days of going to her new school. In junior high, it's harder to accommodate drastically uneven grade levels and then parents now have to get their 8th grader to CRJH and their 6th grader to BJH.

Secondly, when we got the ABM stuff, I just took it as the district telling us what they could do.

Third, I'm amazed that they moved the kids from behind Westland Baptist/Westwood Gymnastics while the house just south of BJH will continue to go to BDJH. It doesn't make a lick of sense.
I was probably going to be aggravated with the vote going the way it did no matter what, but I doubt I would have been motivated to vote in a school board election if not for their sanctimonious comments. F every one of them.

The neighborhood you reference in your last statement is where we live. No sense to send these kids all the way to Beck, especially if there are kids closer to Beck that are going to Beckendorf.
Gator92
AG
Somebody in Grand Lakes pulled this string long ago. Probably a former Board Member. Plus the demographic there keeps Seven Lakes HS at the top of rankings. BDJH will have highest enrollment in the district. +500 than Beck.

I'm in CR and zoned to Griffin and BDJH. Before and after the ABM. I'm lucky and havn't been affected, yet. I got the same email. Bottom line is, the district will do what it wants. I have no illusions of transparency. Pay your taxes, vote for our bonds and STFU.

Sorry for your daughter. Hopefully it will turn out to be a positive and she gets to make more friends.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Gator92 said:

Somebody in Grand Lakes pulled this string long ago. Probably a former Board Member. Plus the demographic there keeps Seven Lakes HS at the top of rankings. BDJH will have highest enrollment in the district. +500 than Beck.

I'm in CR and zoned to Griffin and BDJH. Before and after the ABM. I'm lucky and havn't been affected, yet. I got the same email. Bottom line is, the district will do what it wants. I have no illusions of transparency. Pay your taxes, vote for our bonds and STFU.

Sorry for your daughter. Hopefully it will turn out to be a positive and she gets to make more friends.

Thanks. She will be fine, but she will have to live through it to be able to really understand that.
BigPuma
AG
Gotcha. All the new growth is going to be in the northwest quadrant of the district moving forward plus a few apartment complexes at the 99/10 intersection which is why you see that balloon growth for KHS. But the new growth will effect KHS and PHS (opened 2 years ago). Basically those 4 neighborhoods plus the other newer neighborhoods being zoned to OTHS under this ABM will account for over 1000 kids.

Cinco Ranch Aggie, As for the JHS ABM, I'm interested to know which board members you actually talked to. I know a couple of them (including the new ones) so I'm curious other than Fox who told you to go **** yourself.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.