Houston
Sponsored by

Katy ISD re-zoning

8,736 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cinco Ranch Aggie
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fox is the board member that I was referring to. I never actually spoke to any, I just read quotes attributed to Fox and others in the various Facebook/NextDoor posts I followed at the time of that ABM.
AginKaty04
PUMA, you seem to be in similar circles as me. What are your thoughts on the LUZ immediately south of 1463 and east of Spring Green being flipped from Katy to Tompkins?

That's where I'm at and we are in the actual city limits but are being sent to school outside the city . I understand the district and city are different entities but that seems like an odd move when considering logical boundaries.
MrMiyAggie
AG
I've got a house for sale in Grand Lakes if any one wants to send their kids to BDJH.
AgCPA95
AG
tylercsbn9 said:

Smokedraw01 said:

tylercsbn9 said:

MelvinUdall said:

West Memorial still being zoned to Katy HS has never made any sense.
Neither does someone living off of south Highway 6 even behind zoned to Katy in the first place much less Taylor instead of Mayde Creek. But money probably talked back in the day when that was set up.

Who is zoned to Katy off of highway 6?
Sorry...meant Katy ISD in general. Specifically referring to Barkers Landing. They also have to go to MPJH which is even further than Taylor. MPJH is 20-25 minutes and 8 miles versus Mayde Creek JH being 5 miles and 10-15 minutes. There is also a junior high less than 3 miles and 10 minutes away but it is HISD. Westside HS is also way, way closer.

They also have to pass through McMeans attendance zones (if they stay south of 10), but I guess it makes sense to be at MPJH versus McMeans since McMeans is pretty far south.
Addicks ISD was split between Katy, Spring Branch and Houston ISDs. Those kids used to go to Katy HS before Taylor was built.
BigPuma
AG
Its an anomaly for sure. It may eventually flip back to Katy depending on how HS10 works out. It's in that little zone that could flip depending on needs, etc.

Im sort of surprised they took that area, but it does cause the least amount of shifting.
claudec02
Hi CR Aggie, we live in cinco and I'm also frustrated at all the rezoning. I have been thinking about moving within cinco but I'm afraid if we do we will be on the same situation. Like you said, to us it's not a big deal, but for the kids it is. Actually we are already in the same situation but at the elementary level. Next year when we are done with elementary most of the kids will go McMeans JH and some to CRJH. We are zoned to CRJH. I didn't realize this until we started elementary. We are okay with being zoned to CRJH but our child isn't bc his friends won't be there. At the same time we have been thinking about moving within CR but I'm hesitant due to all these changes. My child is already experiencing the zoning issue at elementary. If we move that's a change on our part but then once we move what if it changes again in high school. This is frustrating, messing with the kids, one then possibly twice. We are zoned to BeckJH and CincoHS. The houses were looking at before this change happened are assigned to Tompkins. I tried sending you PM message but I don't have the account with the rights to do so. We like cinco if we move it's more my choice and nothing major that requires a move. I would be I guess adding to our zoning concern. I get it that's on me but then once there are they going to move us again? Are you familiar with TompkinsHS?
Smokedraw01
If you're looking into the Tompkins zone, there is more of a chance you'll be rezoned in that area. You can't go wrong with BJH or CRJH and you're kid will adjust easily to a new school.

Are you zoned to Beck or CRJH?
aTm2004
AG
I work with a lot of Katy people. Some of them are so pissed by this that you'd think they found their wife doing a Mark May at Pitt.
claudec02
Thank you for responding. I know CRJH or BJH are good. I just wondering if we moved, the houses I like are zoned to Tompkins. I'm not familiar with TompkinsHS or their JH.
Smokedraw01
claudec02 said:

Thank you for responding. I know CRJH or BJH are good. I just wondering if we moved, the houses I like are zoned to Tompkins. I'm not familiar with TompkinsHS or their JH.

Tompkins is south of the highway, so you're kid will get a good education.
AgCPA95
AG
We are smack dab in the middle of Cinco, Tompkins and Seven Lakes high schools with a kid at SLHS and an 8th grader at BDJH. We have friends and kids we go to church with, played sports with and other activities and I would be happy with my kids at any of the 3 high schools. I'm sure those with kids losing some classmates when they switch to JH or HS are dealing with a lot of drama and initial sadness, but it isn't like they are leaving town. They are likely still living a short bike-ride away. Good luck.
Post removed:
by user
AgCPA95
AG
third coast.. said:

Surely you dont let your kids ride bikes from neighborhood to neighborhood unsupervised.
Yes. We prefer they do it after dark and we refuse to buy them helmets.
Post removed:
by user
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Tompkins is a good school, but if you were to be rezoned your kids would end up at either CRHS or SLHS, also good schools. At least I'd like to think that would be the case, but given how idiotic it is to completely ignore parental input and send kids further away than their current campus, I wouldn't put much of anything past the clowns who run this district.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.