Houston
Sponsored by

Guitar Lessons

2,314 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by JaredFuller
Tyrone_The_Tuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
any one have recommendations?
aggiechris02
I take lessons with Tim Salter at Danny D's in League City. I'd highly recommend him if it is in your part of town.....
78_Pacecar
AG
Following this, anyone have an recommendations for the Katy area?
Fall92
AG
Or Spring/Woodlands?
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Ag_07
AG
You can learn how to do anything on YouTube
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
78_Pacecar said:

Following this, anyone have an recommendations for the Katy area?
Mr Ray at Music and Arts at La Centerra.

https://www.lacenterra.com/store/Music-and-Arts-Center/2138942166/
TulaneAg
I just started playing about 2 years ago. My first recommendation is to find someone close to the house or close to the office and make it convenient. This will give you a better chance of keeping it going.

Second, my personal opinion is this is an area where it's best to support a local or small business. No offense to Music & Arts but they're owned by Guitar Center which takes the shine off for me. When I was living in Katy, I did my lessons and bought my gear at Great Southern Music which is a father and son business, but it was a little bit of a haul. I'm now back in my house and the closest shop is Infinity Guitars at Memorial & Kirkwood so I do lessons there. I believe there's a local Takamine dealer down in the Kingsland and Mason area. You might find those guys and see what they offer for lessons.

Going back to my first point, I'm also thinking about looking for a private lesson from someone that can come to my house. I'm 90% acoustic and 10% electric right now, but I'd love lessons with my amps, my pedals, etc because I have no idea how to really set up the million plus buttons and knobs to get the AC/DC vs Van Halen vs whatever sound I want to try and replicate once I start working on the electric guitar more.

Anyway, my free advice...you get what you pay for ;-)
Madman
AG
If you need a guitar worked on Great Southern is an excellent choice.
A. Solzhenitsyn
What's an average price? I started playing about a year ago, and I've just been bumbling along with YouTube and Guitar Tricks. I wouldn't mind getting some in person lessons
Bockaneer
AG
My kids have taken music lessons in the Houston area for 12 years now. (They are in their 20's now)
My 2 sons have both used Mr. Ray Ernst at Music & Arts (when he was at Great Southern).
He's a fantastic teacher and will teach a lot of theory too. He graduated Valedictorian from Berklee back in the 70's. He does prefer to teach people with some experience though, and Jazz is his specialty. He taught my sons bass mostly and convinced the oldest to learn the organ as well.
Another guitar teacher I'd recommend is Jason Black. I think he is in the Woodlands currently. He is a protege of Rusty Cooley's. His focus is electric guitar.
My advice is figure out what type of guitar/playing style and find an instructor that fits your choice. My kids have learned classical, acoustic, electric guitars; electric and upright bass, and piano.
shihitemuslim
AG
We use Jordan at Memorial Music in the 77024 area. He is pretty good but my kid is probably too young to learn anything meaningful.
JaredFuller
AG
my younger brother graduated from berklee college of music and plays guitar. He teaches lessons on the side. if you would like his contact info feel free to let me know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.