Houston
Sponsored by

Texas Woman's hospital

8,382 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by realtalk123
drumboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
schmellba99 said:

TCH is a different story - my oldest had to go there a few years back for what turned out to be nothing more than strep that the attending at our local ER wouldn't bother to look at because she was below age 4. We spent 10 hours at TCH, 4 of which were waiting in the lobby because it was beyond overflowing with people - most of whom were non-English speaking and likely non-insured.
Same thing happened to me at TCH 12 years ago. I'll go to one of the small local now over the med center location.
BullSprig07
AG
Had both my kids there, youngest was this past November. Never really thought about the facilities or the socioeconomic status of the other families. Nurses were great.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
We delivered last year at TCH. Great facility, great docs and delivery staff. The post delivery nurses were so-so. The place was not Ellis Island by any means.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Mr. AGSPRT04 said:

The post delivery nurses were so-so.
This is basically true for every facility. The neonatal, NICU, and other "specialty" nursing staff is always the 'A' team (lots of BSN/RNs from quality programs, nurses that are headed in the direction of nurse practitioner school, etc.). The rank and file post-natal nurses are usually a little less advanced and tend to have had less choice of where they work after nursing school.
Joan Wilder
AG
I had surgery there a couple years ago and they were great. The nurses were outstanding.
vansprinkle
AG
NICU Dad said:

Mr07Ag said:

My wife is high risk so both boys were delivered there. The doctors and delivery nurses were great (along with the NICU nurses) but some of the postpartum nurses left something to be desired.

The facilities are not the greatest looking but I wasn't there for the aesthetics.

Same.

I have 2 former NICU babies. With my boys and wife's extended stay there, we "lived" in that hospital for 6 months. The facilities are meh, but that's not the selling part for me.

The MCNA Neonatology Group is top flight. I wouldn't want any other group of neonates watching over my boys.

The nursing staff there was also very good.

Username checks out
FHKChE07
AG
FYI. the MCNA group disbanded in 2017.

http://mcna-pa.com/
Diggity
AG
I blame Yoko
HBCanine08
AG
OP sounds like he's from DFW.
NICU Dad
AG
FHKChE07 said:

FYI. the MCNA group disbanded in 2017.

http://mcna-pa.com/

Can't express how sad this makes me to hear this.

This group of doctors saved my older son's life several times over.
schmellba99
AG
Yep, same here. Not worth it IMO - it's like every other big city hospital now in that it is full of unisured getting meds for their kid who has a cold.

That last experience for me was brutal. The lobby waiting was what I can only imagine a room full of refugees to be like. Kids running everywhere, I had to tell one of the parents next to us to keep their little fck trophy from crawling all over me and my daughter sitting in the chair next to me while we were there amongst the unwashed masses. At one point I got up to go to the restroom and had to tell them to get their kid out of my seat.

Had my daughter been stricken with something other than a run of the mill case of strep, it would be one thing, but finding out we went through all of that garbage for something as simple as that made it much worse.
ATM9000
AG
schmellba99 said:

Yep, same here. Not worth it IMO - it's like every other big city hospital now in that it is full of unisured getting meds for their kid who has a cold.

That last experience for me was brutal. The lobby waiting was what I can only imagine a room full of refugees to be like. Kids running everywhere, I had to tell one of the parents next to us to keep their little fck trophy from crawling all over me and my daughter sitting in the chair next to me while we were there amongst the unwashed masses. At one point I got up to go to the restroom and had to tell them to get their kid out of my seat.

Had my daughter been stricken with something other than a run of the mill case of strep, it would be one thing, but finding out we went through all of that garbage for something as simple as that made it much worse.

Starts the post judging people for going to the hospital to get meds for a cold... ends it in having taken daughter to the hospital for strep throat.
schmellba99
AG
ATM9000 said:

schmellba99 said:

Starts the post judging people for going to the hospital to get meds for a cold... ends it in having taken daughter to the hospital for strep throat.
Maybe....just maybe if you had read the original post, you'd understand why. But let's not let a bit of facts get in the way of a rant, that would be silly!
ATM9000
AG
schmellba99 said:

ATM9000 said:

schmellba99 said:

Maybe....just maybe if you had read the original post, you'd understand why. But let's not let a bit of facts get in the way of a rant, that would be silly!

I see... my one sentence post is a rant. Yours? Not a rant. You realize you waited so long because, like the folks in the waiting room you spend all your time judging, they probably ascertained you were in the ER for something that wasn't a ****ing emergency.

In that vein, thanks for joining the unwashed masses by driving healthcare costs up for the rest of us.
Diggity
AG
He seems like an amazing human being doesn't he?

So compaionate!
schmellba99
AG
ATM9000 said:

schmellba99 said:

ATM9000 said:

schmellba99 said:

I see... my one sentence post is a rant. Yours? Not a rant. You realize you waited so long because, like the folks in the waiting room you spend all your time judging, they probably ascertained you were in the ER for something that wasn't a ****ing emergency.

In that vein, thanks for joining the unwashed masses by driving healthcare costs up for the rest of us.
Swing and a miss! Try again. Reading r hard!
Panama Red
AG
scmellba99 should take the advice of the poster that said:

Quote:

My God, give it up. Even the Germanic tribes and the Gauls knew when the Romans had beaten them
https://texags.com/forums/38/topics/3034507/replies/54220670
schmellba99
AG
Panama Red said:

Quote:

My God, give it up. Even the Germanic tribes and the Gauls knew when the Romans had beaten them
Panama Red should learn how to read and interpret what was actually said instead of being a dumbass and looking at one thing only. HTMFH.
realtalk123
AG
As a medical malpractice attorney here in Houston, I speak from the position of someone who has conducted critical reviews of the care provided by nearly every hospital within 100 miles.

Given that backdrop, if you are expecting, there is no better place to have your baby than Woman's Hospital. Sure, it does not look great, but they are the best of the best. They put their resources into the physicians and nurses, not into a self-playing baby grand piano in the lobby (lookin at you Methodist Katy). They specialize in $%@# hitting-the-fan scenarios, which is when you need a great team anyway.

It's the same reason Ben Taub is by far the best place to go if you get shot, and why so many professors of surgery in Houston are on staff at Ben Taub. They treat gunshots every day, and if you want to stay on top of the game, you go to where the volume is.

Texas Children's is also top-notch, but its focus is sick children, not risky deliveries. If your 6 month-old has something weird going on, absolutely take them to TCH. They are the best after delivery has occurred.

Do not get swayed by fancy lobbies, gold-plated chandeliers, and convenience. All hospitals are not the same. The difference in healthcare can literally mean life or death.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
gindaloon
AG
Was it after hour 2 or 3 that you decided you were willing to wait another 7 or 8 hours for your non-emergency?
ATM9000
AG
gindaloon said:

Was it after hour 2 or 3 that you decided you were willing to wait another 7 or 8 hours for your non-emergency?

Headshot.
BowSowy
AG
schmellba99 said:

Panama Red said:

Quote:

Panama Red should learn how to read and interpret what was actually said instead of being a dumbass and looking at one thing only. HTMFH.
For someone who loves to rail on snowflakes, you sure do get butthurt when people get on your case.
MemorialTXAg
Excellent work everyone.
Bert315
AG
realtalk123 said:

As a medical malpractice attorney here in Houston, I speak from the position of someone who has conducted critical reviews of the care provided by nearly every hospital within 100 miles.

Given that backdrop, if you are expecting, there is no better place to have your baby than Woman's Hospital. Sure, it does not look great, but they are the best of the best. They put their resources into the physicians and nurses, not into a self-playing baby grand piano in the lobby (lookin at you Methodist Katy). They specialize in $%@# hitting-the-fan scenarios, which is when you need a great team anyway.

It's the same reason Ben Taub is by far the best place to go if you get shot, and why so many professors of surgery in Houston are on staff at Ben Taub. They treat gunshots every day, and if you want to stay on top of the game, you go to where the volume is.

Texas Children's is also top-notch, but its focus is sick children, not risky deliveries. If your 6 month-old has something weird going on, absolutely take them to TCH. They are the best after delivery has occurred.

Do not get swayed by fancy lobbies, gold-plated chandeliers, and convenience. All hospitals are not the same. The difference in healthcare can literally mean life or death.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

You dog Methodist for a piano and not focusing on high quality care. Funny because they have been ranked the #1 hospital in Texas 7 straight years now. Every hospital has its shortfalls but knocking a hospital that has been continually ranked in the top 100 in the nation and #1 in Texas over a piano is comical.
drumboy
AG
Y'all ever been to West Houston Medical Center in Alief? At least they have free parking.
Madmarttigan
AG
He said Methodist Katy. That does not equate to Methodist TMC.
BullSprig07
AG
Prefer LBJ hospital on the NE side
realtalk123
AG
Oh Bert. You're killing me.

A good rule of thumb: If you are visiting any hospital outside of the medical center, you should know that you are dealing with the JV team. Even if that suburb hospital has the same name as one in the med center. This rule is not absolute, but it is generally applicable.

You are correct that Methodist in the med center is outstanding. I tell everyone that if I have something serious, and there is time, take me there.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.