Houston
Sponsored by

Galveston water

7,122 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OnlyForNow
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SIAP, but anyone head to Galveston recently? Apparently there's actual clear blue water there (or at least there was). I've never seen anything like that at any Texas beach before.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/galveston/article/Blue-water-invades-Galveston-Island-12950699.php#item-85307-tbla-25

Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
It was like that this past weekend too. Was awesome to see
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I'm hoping it will stay like that through the weekend.
1876er
AG
Can't we just divert the Mississippi to Mexico so we can have those waters all the time?
Boo Weekley
third coast.. said:

God the chron website is so terrible. That dumpster slide show is one pic of water and then a bunch of stupid pictures of people on beaches. Couple that with the terrible pop ups and ads and I kick myself in the ass every time I go there.
It is awful. I refuse to go generally, but I really wanted to see a few pics of how clear it was...one blurry pic sent in by a user and a bunch of random pics of people playing in the sand. Embarrassing. Sips, you can do better that this.
Boo Weekley
This is much better..even includes a scientific explanation. Chron.com would never think to dig nearly that deep...

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/aerial-photos-of-incredible-blue-clear-water-in-galveston/285-559910341
rhoswen
AG
Follow NWS Houston-Galveston on Facebook/Twitter. Lots of pics and explains why.
MAROON
AG
I've fished in in the surf on west beach when you could stand in waist deep water and clearly see your feet. Also seen it so clear in Port A where you could stand in chest deep water and see your feet.

Not a usual occurrence, all depends on the currents.

Now if we could just get Louisiana to suck a little more then maybe the Mississippi would stop depositing all its dirt in our water.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
MAROON said:

I've fished in in the surf on west beach when you could stand in waist deep water and clearly see your feet. Also seen it so clear in Port A where you could stand in chest deep water and see your feet.

Not a usual occurrence, all depends on the currents.

Now if we could just get Louisiana to suck a little more then maybe the Mississippi would stop depositing all its dirt in our water.

I'd say the clear tides down near SLP where you can clearly see your feet in waist-deep water are pretty common. Not an everyday thing but probably 3-4 days every month.

Clarity like in the videos shown is pretty common on PINS but very rare in Galveston. Like maybe once every 5 years or so.

Down around PA and points south it's more common to the point that the visibility is good enough to spearfish the PA jetties on a regular basis. And the farther south you go the better the clarity and more regular the super clear water.

These were taken on PINS (couldn't get hooked up though):

These are the South Padre jetties:

88jrt06
AG
Great photos!
Wow.
BrazosDog02
AG
Is this really a big deal? I've been told by a couple of people that live or frequent the area that it happens every year, but I've never heard of it.

??
schmellba99
AG
Doesnt happen frequently, but not super unusual either.

Most of the issues with water clarity stem from the channelizing,of the Mississippi and,lack of,letting it flow into the Atchaflaya marsh basin. A lot of the turbidity stems from the ship traffic in the bay as well - a few years back when the tankers collided and all commercial shipping traffic was halted for several days the bay cleared up significantly for the down time.

I think it was made as big of a deal as it was because it happened over Memorial weekend and there were a lot of eyeballs on the beach at the time.
AgLA06
AG
The Brazos and other rivers do the same thing. Hell Surfside is very dependent on the mud from the Brazos.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
On a normal day, all that poo water from Buffalo Bayou dumps into the bay and Gulf

schmellba99
AG
AgLA06 said:

The Brazos and other rivers do the same thing. Hell Surfside is very dependent on the mud from the Brazos.
Most of the current takes the river deposits to the west. The San Bernard keeps silting in because of the Brazos - when the Corps moved the mouth from the old mouth to the new mouth 6 miles west, it really changed the ecosystem.

The stilt from the Mississippi has more to do with water clarity on the Texas shoreline than anything. Instead of the big river depositing those umpteen metric tons of silt annuyally in the swamps and marshes in Louisiana, we have channelized the river and it now shoots it out in the gulf where the loop currents pull it our direction.

bigtruckguy3500
Boo Weekley said:

This is much better..even includes a scientific explanation. Chron.com would never think to dig nearly that deep...

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/aerial-photos-of-incredible-blue-clear-water-in-galveston/285-559910341
I think that same info is in the chron article as well.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Is it back to brown yet?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Ag_N_Houston said:

Is it back to brown yet?

Going to Surfside tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Please do. We were thinking of going on Sunday.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Water is back normal.
BrazosDog02
AG
Really, Finn? Already? It's brown again? Just making sure serious. Was thinking of taking the kids tomorrow.
TXAG14
It is back to normal.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Surfside at beach access 7 was churned up. Honestly it's not the nasty muddiness of Galvetraz but just really sandy. Color change was about 300 yards out. Still a fun day. Wind was pumping and the waves were probably solid 4's so it was churned up. My kids still had a blast.

The only real negative was the dumbass cholo who had his jet-ski fall off the trailer into the middle of the road right at the top of the bridge. It took 35 minutes to get from the Surfside light to the light at Buc-ee's on 332.
m.stat
AG
Went to Galveston yesterday. Definitely back to brown.......
schmellba99
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Surfside at beach access 7 was churned up. Honestly it's not the nasty muddiness of Galvetraz but just really sandy. Color change was about 300 yards out. Still a fun day. Wind was pumping and the waves were probably solid 4's so it was churned up. My kids still had a blast.

The only real negative was the dumbass cholo who had his jet-ski fall off the trailer into the middle of the road right at the top of the bridge. It took 35 minutes to get from the Surfside light to the light at Buc-ee's on 332.
Did you see the car fire on the beach? Apparently that was a crowd pleaser.
johnrth
Was at the beach yesterday with the family and 2 trucks got stuck by the dunes so they proceeded to spend a good 45mins to an hr flooring it to try and get unstuck while tossing sand everywhere. Then you had a family think it was a good idea to fish with like 7 polls on a small crowded access point with multiple kids and families swimming around and have their lines drift into kids and stuff. At one point I was about to grab my knife and start cutting lines. 1 guy got my hint when I started pulling on his line because it drifted right around my daughter's head. Why they couldn't walk down the beach hundred yards where it wasn't crowded I don't know. I hate Galveston with a passion.
Flashdiaz
AG
johnrth said:

Was at the beach yesterday with the family and 2 trucks got stuck by the dunes so they proceeded to spend a good 45mins to an hr flooring it to try and get unstuck while tossing sand everywhere. Then you had a family think it was a good idea to fish with like 7 polls on a small crowded access point with multiple kids and families swimming around and have their lines drift into kids and stuff. At one point I was about to grab my knife and start cutting lines. 1 guy got my hint when I started pulling on his line because it drifted right around my daughter's head. Why they couldn't walk down the beach hundred yards where it wasn't crowded I don't know. I hate Galveston with a passion.
sounds like you hate people, not Galveston.

Which I would agree with.
88jrt06
AG
"I aim my gun.....
....and dream of Galveston...."

(R.I.P., Glen)
JJxvi
AG
88jrt06 said:

"I aim clean my gun.....
....and dream of Galveston...."

(R.I.P., Glen)
FIFY
88jrt06
AG
nm
TXAG14
Clearer water could be pushing back in.

BrazosDog02
AG
Well, *****
Ag_N_Houston
AG
We were there today. The blue line has not moved any closer. You can easily see the blue, but the beach is still Galveston Brown.
nonameag99
It is crowded everywhere in Galveston. It is like a major holiday weekend
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.