Houston
Sponsored by

Recommend a good litigator/attorney to keep on retainer if ever needed in the future

7,193 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by ThunderCougarFalconBird
lukeskywalker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hello,

Happy New Year to all of you and your families, may the force be with you.

I know little about the different types of attorneys, etc. but as my wife and I recently became home owners in a small acreage ranch in a residential neighborhood with other similar properties, and as we are needing to work harder to keep up with life expenses, we are also wanting to be prepared for the unwanted.

We are fearful of what may happen if the powers above forbid we were to get in a traffic accident or were sued by a neighbor etc.

As our lives are getting busier, we want to have someone on standby/retainer whom we can call, or at least an initial point of contact, if any legal matter were to arise. You know, like a general physician or lawyers, someone who would be a first point of contact.

FYI we are middle income educated adults in self employed professional fields. We have simple lives and no negative records of any sort.

Apologies, we do not know the correct titles of the different types of lawyers etc.

We don't necessarily want the biggest firm or a celebrity name, but someone who is competent and has authority in their field.

Would welcome any recommendations.

May the force be with you

Thank you

Liquid Wrench
IrishTxAggie
AG
Drag the body inside after you shoot them.

You're welcome.
The Original AG 76
AG
I can't think of a single reason why anyone with your profile has even the remotest of need for an attorney on retainer. Most people can go throughout life NEVER EVER needing a lawyer for ANYTHING short of a single use type event like preparing a will or fighting a speeding ticket or a divorce. Those are specialities and you sure as hell better not need those services repeatedly !!!
I'm afraid you might be watching too much TV where someone says " Ive got to call may attny" when McGarret and Danno busts down the door.
Using your examples.... If yu get in an accident it is you insurance company that will do all of the legal work. That's what they do. 99.99999% of traffic accidents are handled this way. You can live 10 life times and not have a neighbor " sue" you. It just doesn't happen. There just aren't tithe many life incidents that require a lawyer. I will be willing to speculate that not a single person on this thing has ever used a lawyer for a neighbor type thing. I will go further and say that you will be hard pressed to even find ANYBODY that knows anyone who has needed a lawyer for your examples. I'm afraid that you are seeing too many of those low IQ ambulance chasing "Texas Hammer" SCUM ads on TV. These people are parasites and con men who normal people avoid like the plague. In my long and eventful life Ive only used a lawyer exactly twice...to fight a speeding ticket and to prep a will. Many will have a third use when they file for they divorce but even that can be done without a lawyer. I doubt that you will find a single regular joe on this board that has any need for a lawyer or law firm on retainer.
Panama Red
AG
You can hire me.

My first advice to you as your attorney and counselor is that you do need to waste your money on having a lawyer on retainer.

That'll be $450. I take bitcoin or JosABanks gift cards
P.H. Dexippus
AG
I do defense on the civil side. But you don't need an attorney on retainer, you need an insurance policy.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
Ag_07
AG
My guess is OP is cooking meth.

Looking for a lawyer on retainer
Moved out to acreage homestead
Mentions having to work harder to keep up
Worried about neighbors
"Self employed"

It all adds up.

Here's your man

jetch17
AG
That one guy with stroke face
Post removed:
by user
jackie childs
Sasappis said:

It sounds like you need a buddy who is a lawyer rather than a lawyer on retainer. As mentioned most folks don't need an attorney on retainer unless for a specific business reason.
this is what i was thinking too...just someone who can steer you in the right direction if/when you have a need.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Are you afraid there won't be enough lawyers to service your needs when that time arises, so you are trying to secure one now?
IrishTxAggie
AG
I'd like to see some lawyers get into a bidding war for this retainer.
lb sand
AG

As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit.
Marvin_Zindler
AG
I'm a lawyer. Email me (address in profile) and I would be happy to talk. That said, I don't think you need to pay anyone a retainer at this point. You just need some good contacts or someone who is able to give you some good contacts.
Javelina
AG
I know one that posts here that takes payment in guns and ammo.
IrishTxAggie
AG
Javelina said:

I know one that posts here that takes payment in guns and ammo.

Perry sure I know him too.
Al Bula
AG
lukeskywalker said:

Hello,

Happy New Year to all of you and your families, may the force be with you.

I know little about the different types of attorneys, etc. but as my wife and I recently became home owners in a small acreage ranch in a residential neighborhood with other similar properties, and as we are needing to work harder to keep up with life expenses, we are also wanting to be prepared for the unwanted. simple lives and no negative records of any sort.
you live on a backwater planet in the Outer Rim and run an evaporator farm, am I right?

You don't need a lawyer, what you really need is a droid who understands the binary language of moisture vaporators.

And make sure the droid speaks Bocce.
lukeskywalker
No meth or anything even remotely questionable

Apologies this is a silly question

We just get worried when we see these ads on tv to call the hammer etc, if there is ever a traffic accident, we did not know that the insurance covers such incidents and were worried whom to call if that ever happens, the last thing we want to do is scramble to identify a lawyer

We have never needed to claim our auto insurance, hopefully never will

Second point our neighbor has sued in small claims court other neighbors in the past for example if a neighbors dog went on to his property repeatedly he sued them, or he sued another neighbor because they stored fertilizer near their fence, and then some of the fertilizer washed down on to his lake, and killed his fish so he sued them etc.

We just want to be prepared if we ever need a lawyer for such matters

we never will do anything which is even questionably against the law

lukeskywalker
hodgesco said:

I'm a lawyer. Email me (address in profile) and I would be happy to talk. That said, I don't think you need to pay anyone a retainer at this point. You just need some good contacts or someone who is able to give you some good contacts.

Thank you

yes that is exactly what we need, some good contacts or someone who is able to give good contacts

once again apologies for this silly question
David_Puddy
AG
You should contact Rusty Hardin....heard he's pretty cheap.
The Original AG 76
AG
lukeskywalker said:

No meth or anything even remotely questionable

Apologies this is a silly question

We just get worried when we see these ads on tv to call the hammer etc, if there is ever a traffic accident, we did not know that the insurance covers such incidents and were worried whom to call if that ever happens, the last thing we want to do is scramble to identify a lawyer

Second point our neighbor has sued in small claims court other neighbors in the past for example if a neighbors dog went on to his property repeatedly he sued them, or he sued another neighbor because they stored fertilizer near their fence, and then some of the fertilizer washed down on to his lake, and killed his fish so he sued them etc.

we never will do anything which is even questionably against the law

Just an FYI...In Texas you do NOT need a lawyer in Small Claims court, in fact they are designed for a citizen to not use a lawyer since the amounts in question are relatively small. Most lawyers will cost more than the amounts allowed for a claim in small claims court. Sounds like you simply have a wacko neighbor with more time than sense.
Lets just play act your example of fertilizer and the fence. The neighbor files a claim and you get a date in the JP court. The neighbor simply tells the Judge what he believes you did AND why it is illegal. You simply respond ( in plain English) that it is not illegal to put fertilizer near a fence and ask the neighbor to show the LAW that he believes you are in violation. IF you ARE in violation of some law ( doubtful) then the common sense judge will rule against you and you will pay what you owe. However if neighbor simply does like where you put your fertilizer then the judge will dismiss the claim...very simple. No lawyer needed.
Ag_07
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Just an FYI...In Texas you do NOT need a lawyer in Small Claims court, in fact they are designed for a citizen to not use a lawyer since the amounts in question are relatively small. Most lawyers will cost more than the amounts allowed for a claim in small claims court. Sounds like you simply have a wacko neighbor with more time than sense.
Lets just play act your example of fertilizer and the fence. The neighbor files a claim and you get a date in the JP court. The neighbor simply tells the Judge what he believes you did AND why it is illegal. You simply respond ( in plain English) that it is not illegal to put fertilizer near a fence and ask the neighbor to show the LAW that he believes you are in violation. IF you ARE in violation of some law ( doubtful) then the common sense judge will rule against you and you will pay what you owe. However if neighbor simply does like where you put your fertilizer then the judge will dismiss the claim...very simple. No lawyer needed.

Well...You forgot to get his address.

How are you supposed to know where to send your invoice?

And I really feel we're losing sight of the fact this guy is scared of ambulance chaser commercials and his neighbors so he thinks he needs a lawyer on retainer.
lukeskywalker
Appreciate your replies.

The Original AG 76 that is a good example. How should one factor in the lost time and work if a neighbor or individual does make such a frivolous claim and then one or both of us has to go to small claims/JP court and challenge the claim?

I presume there is no recourse for lost time and income in such instances in small claims/JP court

pardon our ignorance and thank you
lukeskywalker
To add we have spent most of our adult life overseas working for various non profits and recently semi retired here on this property, so some of our concerns may be more out of worry than real concern

P.H. Dexippus
AG
lukeskywalker said:

Just like auto insurers hire an attorney to defend their insured from a motor vehicle accident lawsuit, a homeowner's insurance company hires attorneys to defend homeowners from trespass/nuisance/negligence claims. Just get auto and home insurance.
"[When I was a kid,] I wanted to be a pirate. Thank God no one took me seriously and scheduled me for eye removal and peg leg surgery."- Bill Maher
The Original AG 76
AG
lukeskywalker said:

Appreciate your replies.

The Original AG 76 that is a good example. How should one factor in the lost time and work if a neighbor or individual does make such a frivolous claim and then one or both of us has to go to small claims/JP court and challenge the claim?

I presume there is no recourse for lost time and income in such instances in small claims/JP court

pardon our ignorance and thank you
I GUARANTEE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY 1000000000% UN EQUIVALENTLY ....... assure you that you will spend 5000 TIMES more "lost time" dealing with waiting for your cable man, your plumber, your painter than you will EVER spend on any legal matter that you are concerned with. you BOTH will experience 10,000 TIMES more time away from work getting your oil changed than you ever will in a small claims court.
I just don't think you comprehend that FACT that these things just don't happen. You examples are damn near laughable and virtually impossible. Loose dogs are a problem for law enforcement NOT a JP ( unless it bites you and you want it destroyed). You dont file a " claim" in JP court for a running dog you call a COP or the pound. You DONT file a claim for some bag of fertilizer ..you call a COP or the EPA or whatnot IF there is a law broke,.... Once in a lifetime you may know someone who has a tree limb fall over a property line causing $2000 in damage that triggers a small claim..it takes about 1 hour to settle IF you are one outa hundreds of hundreds of thousands of property owners the EVER experience a claim. My buddy is a JP in Harris County that has a district of almost ONE MILLION peoples..He hears small claims cases TWO DAYS A WEEK !!!! Calculate the odds !
As a homeowner you will spend ONE MILLION times more hours on chinch bugs and lawn fungus than you will on " frivolous " law suits......Trust us on this...
Boo Weekley
Luuuuuke, sounds like you guys may be worrying wayyyyyy too much about what could happen in life.

shihitemuslim
AG
You need an umbrella policy and a family limited partnership
Liquid Wrench
To be fair, a lot of us probably have attorney friends or relatives. We may take it for granted that we can ask them our own stupid questions whenever. OP may not know anyone he's comfortable involving in his personal bidness.

And reading between the lines, he may have heard some things about a potential nuisance neighbor. It's not a bad idea to think ahead about someone he can call when the crazy old redneck down the road does something stupid or starts threatening to sue over some little thing.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
GD Gary Trichter add pops up now at the bottom of this thread. Guess Gary wants your retainer.
AggieT
AG
You don't need an attorney, you need an Umbrella Policy.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Dude you don't need a lawyer on retainer. If you **** up or someone sues you just go hire one then. Wtf are you so worried about?
This is how ****ing ID murder cases begin, **** like this. Dudes probably planning on offing someone and needs a good lawyer and to get his alibi straight
Liquid Wrench
:clears browser history:
Hemingway
AG
Even with all the nonsense, you have this board. If something happens, post and ask for a recommendation for the specific issue. You will get some heat, but real responses as well. I am an attorney, and I have asked Texags for lawyer recs for friends when my own experience and network didn't have a good answer.
lukeskywalker
Happy weekend to all.

I am a new member on here so I can only make a certain number of posts every day.

I appreciate all the advice. I should not have used the word retainer, rather, identify, if ever needed.

Rest assured no one in my household is planning any harm or ill intent or doing anything questionable by law.

Thank you
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.